All-Star Extra Spotters.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

everyone should always do absolutely whatever is in their power to catch. obviously.
however, theres always those instances (onetrupairing) where it happens, no matter the effort put into it.

theres risks with basing, and risks with flying, and its frustrating when people dont understand that.

I agree a flier should never hit the ground. With that, fliers and bases need to know how to fall. I've seen kids try to fight to keep a stunt up and in the end the fall was worse than it had to be. There's a point where you let the fliers foot go and bring her down.

I've had bad experiences with "professional" spots. When I was on pee wees in 2000 we had a rotating pyramid. At the end of our routine one of the spotters wasn't paying attention. After hitting our first pyramid picture we started to rotate, the spotter just stood there unaware. He ended up tripping a bunch of people and our entire pyramid feel to the ground. I guess it depends what competition you're at but these people aren't always professionals, some really don't know what's going on.

flyers should never hit the ground. any age. any level. if a flyer hit the ground, we ran two miles, no questions. there is a girl on my team now who wont catch my flyer for baskets if she "doesnt try." my flyer is doing a hitch kick double so when she doesnt get all the way around, its just me and the other base catching her. the backspot walks away. it frustrates me alot

i try to my absolute hardest to never let a flyer hit the ground. But in some cases, even that is not enough. i have had flyers literally jump over my head from an extended one legged stunt. At that point, the no one underneath of her can travel quickly enough to catch them. Most of the time when I have seen a flyer hit the floor, it is because she has fallen out of the air in such a way that you literally can not grab her. Either that or the stunt is trying so hard to keep a stunt in the air, they don't think that "hey, this girl is probably going to fall." i completely agree that a flyer should rarely if ever hit the floor, but there are sometimes when me and my group get punished for it even when there was no possible way to catch her.

I agree with flyers learning how to fall. Absolutely, a flyer should never hit the ground, but they make themselves a lot easier to catch when they sweep back into a cradle. My junior year of high school I had a freshman flyer who had never flown before. She had a terrible habit of stepping off the front of stunts and bailing sideways and doing crazy things. We always caught her, it was just a lot harder and we got the crap beat out of us. While we were stunting one day at practice we took about 15 minutes and taught her how to fall with control to significantly lower her risk of being dropped.

I don't think all spotters at comps are pointless. The spotters at worlds saved A LOT of girls from hitting the floor! I just think some spotters don't know how to spot. I wouldn't call them "professional spotters"...I wonder what's required to become a spotter...

UGH. I was an extra spotter this last practice. I'm not sure what happened within the stunt but she cradled sideways, btw this is sr 1, and the backspot ended up just holding her legs and I catch her. She hit me so hard I broke my nose. Obviously I don't mind me getting my nose her because if I didn't surely her head/back would have hit the floor and if it was as hard as she hit me, that would be a no- no. It just irritates me that would back out of it. But this flyer rarely has control over her body, and there were a lot of people around her to make sure if she fell, she'd be caught.

UGH. I was an extra spotter this last practice. I'm not sure what happened within the stunt but she cradled sideways, btw this is sr 1, and the backspot ended up just holding her legs and I catch her. She hit me so hard I broke my nose. Obviously I don't mind me getting my nose her because if I didn't surely her head/back would have hit the floor and if it was as hard as she hit me, that would be a no- no. It just irritates me that would back out of it. But this flyer rarely has control over her body, and there were a lot of people around her to make sure if she fell, she'd be caught.
its great that you caught her ! butt sorry to hear about your nose ! make sure someone teaches her how to fall.

Just wanted to chime in on the extra spotters competitions provide;
At a competition once the extra spotter tripped one of my bases during transition immediately after a stunt sequence and she fell. Guess who got points off on their score sheet for the fall when the spotter CLEARLY was in the way and tripped her ? :/

Just wanted to chime in on the extra spotters competitions provide;
At a competition once the extra spotter tripped one of my bases during transition immediately after a stunt sequence and she fell. Guess who got points off on their score sheet for the fall when the spotter CLEARLY was in the way and tripped her ? :/
oh my gosh ! thats ridiculous. and the judges didnt even notice?

Back