All-Star How To Celebrate At Practice After A Win!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

have a more fun practice play games jump on the tramopline!

At my old gym we got like a patch thing with the comp logo and '1st place, grand champs, ect..' and we would put them on the sleeve of our team hoodies. They were cute and it became a fun thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The girls practice as usual but we start with the video and point out good and bad. We go over the scoresheets with them so they know how they scored and go over what we can improve. At the end they all sign the back of the banner if they won. Sometimes we will do competitions instead of full outs and let them compete every skill in the routine against each other. They love that.

For a team celebration/treat they always want a sleep over at the gym for a big win. I've had slumber parties in the gym way too many times to count so I've got to redirect that little tradition soon....

I know with my CP its "this is what we scored low on and need to work at to make it better "

For a team mom..something small for local competitions and something bigger for bigger ones. Maybe key chains or cool magnets or something. I know for my mom (who's a jv volleyball coach), at the end of every jv game, she'd pick out a jv player of the game who stood out as a leader or had a really great match and give them a little trinket (it's different every year so the girls who stay on jv for two years don't get the same thing). She's given lipbalm keychains that were volleyballs, car/locker magnets, etc.

kristenthegreat said:
For a team mom..something small for local competitions and something bigger for bigger ones. Maybe key chains or cool magnets or something. I know for my mom (who's a jv volleyball coach), at the end of every jv game, she'd pick out a jv player of the game who stood out as a leader or had a really great match and give them a little trinket (it's different every year so the girls who stay on jv for two years don't get the same thing). She's given lipbalm keychains that were volleyballs, car/locker magnets, etc.

I may not do gifts but I told my staff the other day that we are going to give out coaches awards (certificates) to stand out individuals after each comp. No matter what place they get, we want to reward their hard work on things that get "lost" in the team of things. "Stephanie worked so hard these last two weeks to improve her standing series and it showed onstage" and "Anna really pushed her hips up in her straight ride basket and had beautiful lines in the air, plus she held her stunt solid in the pyramid when other stunts fell around her and almost pulled her down". We have so many of these successes and since we know their personal struggles and back story I think the award would really mean something. We have always praised these things. Now we are going to make it official lol. ETA: it won't be for every little thing. It will be for big accomplishments only.

*bonus: a lot of our kids get nominated for student of the year, etc at their schools. These will be great for their portfolios and scrapbooks.

our team moms did a bug fruit salad and a tray of veggies after we won our bid. we loved it of course <3

We take pictures with out jackets, if they didn't win a jacket, we discuss score sheets, warm up and do it all again!

we just get told the scores and if we did really good we get told good job but there is always something to work on so we just work the things that needed to be worked on from the comp and then run full outs.

jeez, people having parties?!? what....? after this past compeiton our coach thought you looked tired on the floor, which she said meant we werent in shape so we conditioned! we NEVER have parties..i mean should you get rewarded for what your already suppose to do, hit&do well? and post of the time, if your routine is good and maxs out and you hit and you know other stuff you will win

Does anyone else notice that people often fail to answer the actual question the op is asking? Seriously, this is the team mom, not a coach!!! This might be a mini level 1 team, not a worlds team! I'm sure, just like every other program in the world, the coaches are going over the scoresheets with the athletes at practice and fixing what needs to be fixed.
Now, can the team mom please have some ideas on what athletes might enjoy as a small reward for their accomplishment? Maybe this was a team that just hadn't hit yet because they hadn't found their cohesion and finally nailed it....they want to celebrate. You don't have to join them ;).
Jumping quickly off my soapbox, because I usually chuckle at that one person in every thread that has to say "seriously people!!!" but really, it's a pet peeve of mine when no one really answers the question being asked...

jeez, people having parties?!? what....? after this past compeiton our coach thought you looked tired on the floor, which she said meant we werent in shape so we conditioned! we NEVER have parties..i mean should you get rewarded for what your already suppose to do, hit&do well? and post of the time, if your routine is good and maxs out and you hit and you know other stuff you will win

I think you should celebrate your victories, big and small. We celebrate for deduction free, and I think it helps team morale which, in turn, helps with other things. We have better attitudes at practice, happy athletes, committed teams (these kids flip out when they have to miss practice for a funeral or a school function), and I think it creates a less stressful environment which creates routines that hit more consistently and kids that work harder. So YES, we will continue to celebrate. :chestbump:

We also watch video, talk about scoresheets, what we need to do better, etc. But I don't think there's anything wrong with rewarding a job well done with a little ice cream at the end of practice.

Back