All-Star International Coed 5/all-girl 5 Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just to make a quick comment on this... score wise TGi5 should have taken the full paid bid home. They had the 2nd highest score at the competition. I guess they gave it to the GA Semi team (who's score was 3rd highest) because they didn't want to give both bids to the same gym, as TG Semi had the highest score and i5 had the 2nd highest score. I personally think that's not right... it should have gone to the two highest scoring teams, regardless of whether or not they were from the same gym.

I think information like who is eligible for bids , i.e. international, all girl, coed etc should be posted prior to the event. TGi5 may have had the 2nd highest score but i think that ACS was not going to award it to an international team. I believe this is why they did not get the 2nd paid bid. not because they were from the same gym.

I would love since the international division has grown since they took it away if they would bring back the small and large international division. I know its another division that would be added but it would allow more talented US teams to compete

Where does it state that "international" is supposed to be about countries instead of the clubs? That is certainly not how the US teams feel. It is Top Gun vs. Spirit vs CA vs . . . - not "3 US teams trying to win honor for their country." When someone asks "Who won International Coed 5 in 2009?", they aren't wanting you to say "the United States," they want to know the name of the program.

Isn't there some award for the highest scoring countries?

Also, if it was solely about the programs then there wouldn't be the "3 teams per country to finals" rule.

While you may not be gunning for the world championship for the honor of the U.S., who is to say other teams are not trying to win for the honor of Thailand?

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am saying that it SHOULD be treated like a regular club division in terms of competition setup, not that I think it already is.

Now that there is a specific competition set up exclusively for country vs country competition (ICU), there is no longer a need to discriminate by nationality in the USASF event. If athletes want to specifically compete for the honor of Thailand, then they can compete in the ICU event under the "Thailand" banner.

I think it is completely unfair to take only 3 from the US. Especially when there's about 5-10 really great teams that if they were in any other division would easily go on to finals. Just because they're from the US shouldn't be a handicap. If other countries don't agree with this, then maybe they should host the INT'L worlds.

That may be a harsh statement but think about all the $$ these people are paying to not get to compete twice that deserve it. And yes I know many people don't move on to day 2 at worlds, but no other division accepts this few teams.

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am saying that it SHOULD be treated like a regular club division in terms of competition setup, not that I think it already is.

I agree that it SHOULD be treated like a regular club division.

I guess my thought is, since it is not currently set up like the club divisions there should be the US Championships at some point prior to the actual Worlds event. This way the IOC5 & 6 divisions could have their own competition with prelims and finals and could avoid paying all the money to go to Disney and potentially not make finals.

I personally dont like when international teams get paid bids of HS kids. I feel like its taking candy from a baby. A true open team is made of college people or older - so they could have years of experience over say these 14 year old kids. What ever happened to just aging out and cheering in college? I cheered in college, AND did open teams, but truth be told, I would have been completely content just cheering college!

The Olympics model is country vs country. That works great for it and for the ICU competition held right before Worlds. Individuals are representing their countries, so countries can play a factor in who gets to attend.

Icu is a very different style of cheer, it's very uca, where as most countries follow the all star model since international usually do not cheer for any sports programs...

We would need to rework an entire routine and dumb down tumbling for the hard mat...

Think outside the box here guys... 75% of you all fail to see this from both sides
At actual Worlds, individuals are representing their gyms, not their country in any way. The competition is club vs. club. Clubs are limited to 1 team per division, so you have the same type limitation that the Olympics or ICU has, it just correctly orients towards the programs.

I personally dont like when international teams get paid bids of HS kids. I feel like its taking candy from a baby. A true open team is made of college people or older - so they could have years of experience over say these 14 year old kids. What ever happened to just aging out and cheering in college? I cheered in college, AND did open teams, but truth be told, I would have been completely content just cheering college!

Great comment! If open teams are too attractive kids will skip going and cheering in college. I have said college cheering is dying... why speed it up? Open teams need to be a compliment, not a parasite. Make all open teams 18+ and up and let the kids go cheer in college.

Agreed King! It should help colleges get back to where they used to be. You can argue that maybe your school doesnt have a competitive cheer team - well if you want to cheer bad enough, pick a college both academics AND cheer - Thats what I did!

Agreed King! It should help colleges get back to where they used to be. You can argue that maybe your school doesnt have a competitive cheer team - well if you want to cheer bad enough, pick a college both academics AND cheer - Thats what I did!

A couple simple changes to the rules and setup and we can encourage not only kids to go cheer in college but ALSO colleges to participate in open. A win win for both.

Maybe I am not 'in it' enough to see the detriment but I still believe we wouldn't be cutting off anyone from cheering. There would be a division for everyone.

Gotta love that the head admin sees all posts and edits.

Back