All-Star International Coed 5/all-girl 5 Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A couple simple changes to the rules and setup and we can encourage not only kids to go cheer in college but ALSO colleges to participate in open. A win win for both.

Maybe I am not 'in it' enough to see the detriment but I still believe we wouldn't be cutting off anyone from cheering. There would be a division for everyone.

Did I miss something, there isn't really a lack of kids trying out for colleges. I just think college cheerleading is very demanding. Especially cheering at the Divison 1 level, lots of games, appearances, and practices. Many kids can't or will not want all that pressure so choosing an international team is a great option for them.

By far Gymtyme PINK. . . Is going to win WORLDS with (Coco) Georgia coming in 2nd CA has no chance in that matter lol. . . . and I do think they should let more then 3 US teams in international because just in the US there more then 3 top teams. . . .Gym Tyme, Top Gun, Spirit of Texas, Stingrays, Cheer force, Maryland Twister if they still have Black Ice team or not, Cheer Extreme, Cheer Athletics that right there is way to much talent not being seen or shown. . . In place of boring International teams now do not get me wrong but some of them are good just not as strong as US teams . . . Im hop Top Gun or Gym Tyme wins it all. . . More Top Gun because "I can tell you want my RING but, just so you know "jealously is an UgLy thing". . . . WORLD CHAMPIONS. . . dont hate me lol. . . LOVE IT

If open teams are too attractive kids will skip going and cheering in college. I have said college cheering is dying... why speed it up? Open teams need to be a compliment, not a parasite. Make all open teams 18+ and up and let the kids go cheer in college.

"The mission of the U.S. All Star Federation is to maximize the number of participants benefiting from the positive life experiences of all star cheerleading and dance by developing competition rules and all star gym training guidelines consistent with the latest best known safety, educational, and ethical practices." - USASF Mission Statement

Enacting policies which deliberately push kids out the door of all star gyms would go directly against this.

If college programs are having trouble keeping kids interested in what they are doing, then they need to find ways to make it a more attractive option. (more scholarship money, etc). It isn't our job to keep making all star less attractive to try to run off customers.

My personal opinion is that all star does a much better job of appealing to the competition aspect of the sport than college cheerleading. There is absolutely a place for college (and HS) cheer, but it increasingly is more focused on game time spirit and supporting the schools athletic programs. I'm not sure that is a bad thing, actually.

Did I miss something, there isn't really a lack of kids trying out for colleges. I just think college cheerleading is very demanding. Especially cheering at the Divison 1 level, lots of games, appearances, and practices. Many kids can't or will not want all that pressure so choosing an international team is a great option for them.

There is a lack. I can't remember where it was posted but I used some numbers to demonstrate the number of participants in competitive cheer to college as compared to high school football to college. The ratio for us is WAY off.

"The mission of the U.S. All Star Federation is to maximize the number of participants benefiting from the positive life experiences of all star cheerleading and dance by developing competition rules and all star gym training guidelines consistent with the latest best known safety, educational, and ethical practices." - USASF Mission Statement

Enacting policies which deliberately push kids out the door of all star gyms would go directly against this.

If college programs are having trouble keeping kids interested in what they are doing, then they need to find ways to make it a more attractive option. (more scholarship money, etc). It isn't our job to keep making all star less attractive to try to run off customers.

My personal opinion is that all star does a much better job of appealing to the competition aspect of the sport than college cheerleading. There is absolutely a place for college (and HS) cheer, but it increasingly is more focused on game time spirit and supporting the schools athletic programs. I'm not sure that is a bad thing, actually.

I don't think enacting the 'international open is only 18+' will push kids out the door. It will most likely push adults??

And maybe I think if colleges can't learn to take care of themselves we have to setup some things for them, because in the end having a healthy college cheerleading environment is good for our athletes. It could provide scholarships and allow them to take their cheerleading career further.

You wouldn't catch me dead cheering for a school or a sports team. College cheer doesn't appeal to me at all. If college was on spring floor and doubles were allowed, it might not be as bad. I find college cheer a little boring. If its not university of Kentucky, Maryland, or Louisville, I don't follow. I would much rather cheer in the open/International division. I've been in all stars for over 12 years, and I would like to continue.

On another note, why does everyone assume if your in college you can afford to pay for worlds. Most of us aren't college graduates with careers, I know I'm just a broke student. It just sounds like a bitter mothers argument. In what other sport are athletes treated differently once they reach 18/19? We're all cheerleaders, and to base something off what you think an age group can afford is not right. In the end it's all about money. If this ridiculous action is set in to place, they better let more of these teams they're robbing into finals.

I think it is a GREAT thing for the all star world. The more people that we can get to continue in our sport, the longer and more lucrative it will be for all involved.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this.

I am as pro-college-education as anyone. That doesn't automatically mean turning away customers in hopes that this may somehow motivate them to CHEER in college (not the same thing as "go to college") is the right move, IMO. I can see how others would feel differently, however.

I also don't view college cheerleading as the same automatic progression from competitive cheer as college football is to HS football. All star is not simply a training ground for making a college team. That may be some athletes' choice and motivation, but all star is an end unto itself for most. (A more apt comparison would be club gymnastics to college gymnastics.)

There are plenty of smaller schools that offer competition cheer. I went to a NAIA (Verge of D-2) school and we competed year round. Not to mention, I was on a GREAT scholarship. I am 25 and have all of my school loans paid off.

You wouldn't catch me dead cheering for a school or a sports team. College cheer doesn't appeal to me at all. If college was on spring floor and doubles were allowed, it might not be as bad. I find college cheer a little boring. If its not university of Kentucky, Maryland, or Louisville, I don't follow. I would much rather cheer in the open/International division. I've been in all stars for over 12 years, and I would like to continue.

On another note, why does everyone assume if your in college you can afford to pay for worlds. Most of us aren't college graduates with careers, I know I'm just a broke student. It just sounds like a bitter mothers argument. In what other sport are athletes treated differently once they reach 18/19? We're all cheerleaders, and to base something off what you think an age group can afford is not right. In the end it's all about money. If this ridiculous action is set in to place, they better let more of these teams they're robbing into finals.

To each their own. You say if its not UK, UM, of UL you dont follow. Im the same way with the international Coed 5 division. If its not GT, SOT, TG, or CA - I dont follow either.

I was fortunate enough to cheer in college when doubles were legal (for one year) and I respected college kids who doubled on hard floor - A lot more technique involved then on a spring floor. I dont think anyone thinks college people can pay their dues - but when I was on an open team in college, I did have to spend a couple weekends alcohol free to pay for my Jamfest Indy fees.

I still stand by my opinion that International teams shouldnt get full paid bids to worlds.

There definitely is. Maybe not for big name programs, but for everyone else, yes. Many teams that have always had coed teams no longer do either.

There definitely is. Maybe not for big name programs, but for everyone else, yes. Many teams that have always had coed teams no longer do either.

Agreed. My old college used to have a LARGE COED and Small Coed - with alternates left over. Now we have two All Girl teams and a small coed! Plus we used to have like squad coed stunting, now none of the guys can stunt (except backspot)

There are plenty of smaller schools that offer competition cheer. I went to a NAIA (Verge of D-2) school and we competed year round. Not to mention, I was on a GREAT scholarship. I am 25 and have all of my school loans paid off.

To each their own. You say if its not UK, UM, of UL you dont follow. Im the same way with the international Coed 5 division. If its not GT, SOT, TG, or CA - I dont follow either.

I was fortunate enough to cheer in college when doubles were legal (for one year) and I respected college kids who doubled on hard floor - A lot more technique involved then on a spring floor. I dont think anyone thinks college people can pay their dues - but when I was on an open team in college, I did have to spend a couple weekends alcohol free to pay for my Jamfest Indy fees.

I still stand by my opinion that International teams shouldnt get full paid bids to worlds.

You could pretty much say that about a handful of teams in any division though.

I was fortunate to not have a double when all stars was on hard floor, it's insane to think about today.
One huge reason I would never consider college is because of hard floor. After 10+ seasons of all stars I have a bad back, bad knees, bad ankles etc ... I'm not trying to further kill my body cheering on hard floor.

As far as the bids go, I don't expect to convince parents or coaches of gyms without international
teams to agree with them receiving full paids. Who wouldn't want to eliminate the competition for bids. I just don't see "they can/should be
able to afford it" as a viable reason. Penalize athletes for cheering after high school.

You could pretty much say that about a handful of teams in any division though.

I was fortunate to not have a double when all stars was on hard floor, it's insane to think about today.
One huge reason I would never consider college is because of hard floor. After 10+ seasons of all stars I have a bad back, bad knees, bad ankles etc ... I'm not trying to further kill my body cheering on hard floor.

As far as the bids go, I don't expect to convince parents or coaches of gyms without international
teams to agree with them receiving full paids. Who wouldn't want to eliminate the competition for bids. I just don't see "they can/should be
able to afford it" as a viable reason. Penalize athletes for cheering after high school.

Don't even get me started on the insanity that is every cheering on hard floor. It isn't safe. Period. Exclamation point.

I think it's flat out dumb that they don't allow college to cheer on a spring floor. Same with high school. It's almost as if they're beggin for someone to blow out a knee. Just downright dumb!

It's already bad enough when you're at stuntfest and you see college kids full of lots of beer throwing crazy tumbling passes in the grass. While I absolutely LOVE to watch it... every time I do I cringe a little bit just waiting for someone to get hurt. Doubles on anything other than a spring floor is just so dangerous!!!!

I think it's flat out dumb that they don't allow college to cheer on a spring floor. Same with high school. It's almost as if they're beggin for someone to blow out a knee. Just downright dumb!

Back before I really started following cheer, our coach said the reason that we didnt compete on Spring floor was because not all unversities have spring floor access. Plus we tumble on football field, so we're used to the surface. I think bringing a springfloor to college nationals would increase the relationship with colleges and allstar gyms!

Back before I really started following cheer, our coach said the reason that we didnt compete on Spring floor was because not all unversities have spring floor access. Plus we tumble on football field, so we're used to the surface. I think bringing a springfloor to college nationals would increase the relationship with colleges and allstar gyms!

The nearest gym to us in college was like 40 minutes away. Our gymnastics team was cut a few years before I went to college, but we certainly didn't have regular access to a spring floor to practice on.

Back