All-Star International Coed 5/all-girl 5 Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am prepared for the beating I am going to receive, so here it goes.

To the USASF, please stop allowing these two divisions from receiving PAID bids to Worlds. As a parent who has spent thousands of dollars on allstar cheer, I say let the young adults who have aged out pay there own way. Many of the members of these teams are well into their twenties. Give the paid bids to the teams that pay the bills. All these teams are fun to watch and I am sure my daughter will want to continue on after this year. I know I am going to get creamed for this simply because most people reading this are not paying parents, but current or former cheerleaders. Just my opinion.

Oh and Fire is my choice for gold.

I think they should allow up to 5 teams per country, but also add a requirement that you must finish in the top half in prelims to move to finals.

I totally agree with Top 5. At least right now. I feel like Top 3 last year left a big contendor out of it. Top 50% would make the division less boring!

I am prepared for the beating I am going to receive, so here it goes.

To the USASF, please stop allowing these two divisions from receiving PAID bids to Worlds. As a parent who has spent thousands of dollars on allstar cheer, I say let the young adults who have aged out pay there own way. Many of the members of these teams are well into their twenties. Give the paid bids to the teams that pay the bills. All these teams are fun to watch and I am sure my daughter will want to continue on after this year. I know I am going to get creamed for this simply because most people reading this are not paying parents, but current or former cheerleaders. Just my opinion.

Oh and Fire is my choice for gold.
Well I'm not going to cream you lol, because i feel that your opinion is yours and should be respected no matter what and often times we are to quick to last out at people instead of seeking to have an educated and civil conversation about cheerleading because at the end of the day we all love it and that's one thing that's never wrong.

I completely hear you about the paying parents, however most of these International 5 teams all girl and coed pay the same rate as other teams in many gyms because for some gyms that is their second senior level 5 team or some gyms have built their international 5 all girl and/or coed as a senior level structured team that pay just like the other senior level teams in the gym. But I do sympathize with you as i am not a parent but a person who has paid his own way in cheerleading financially ever since I started.

I thought the point of worlds was competing against the best of the best. Not competing against someone in finals just because they came the farthest. It takes a lot of time and money to get to worlds for both US teams and international teams. Sure it takes international teams more time and money than most but that doesn't mean it was easy for the US teams to get there.
I think a certain percentage of teams from each country should make it to finals. Say 25% or 50%. That seems more fair than taking the top 3 teams regardless of how many teams the country sends.

To say American teams shouldn't compete in the international division is stupid, if they didn't there would be no point to "Worlds". The united states has a role in the international division for sure. All these talented older people can't compete in the regular
all star division. To the people that don't think international teams should get paid bids, I disagree. We work just as hard if not harder to get to worlds, if your team can't win a bid with money ... sorry.

How about 100% of the teams have an equal opportunity to make finals. Each country can send their top 2,3,4, or 5 teams.

Then they can all compete in prelims and the top however many make finals regardless of country of origin.

Many of you all have great ideas, but given the opinions of the people on this thread it is very clear that some adjustments need to be made in the coming future.

How about 100% of the teams have an equal opportunity to make finals. Each country can send their top 2,3,4, or 5 teams.

Then they can all compete in prelims and the top however many make finals regardless of country of origin.
I would love if we could do this but I think a lot of international teams would stop coming if it was done this way.

you know what would be a cool idea?

have a 1 USA TEAM team up with 1 international team and make them compete like:

top gun + team australia
spirit of texas + team japan
cheer athletics + team germany

and maybe average their scores and than place them.

:eek: Holly crap at black's routine! If they hit all of those stunts and get the timing right (which I'm willing to bet is possible since this is so early in the season) that is going to be insane!

Also, not really related to this thread...but a good example of how posting a video of a team despite a couple of flaws isn't trampled on. Quite the opposite..you can really see the skill and potential if it all hits.

This is what I wrote this summer about how I would change Worlds (http://spiritpost.com/notebook/2010/07/starting-from-scratch-worlds-weekend/) :

I would change the Cheerleading Worlds into multiple events. I’m going to use the United States as the example then apply it to other parts of the world. US Teams would go to Cheersport, JAMfest, NCA, etc. to earn bids to the USASF Cheerleading Championship, instead of the IASF Cheerleading Worlds. The USASF Championship would have Preliminaries on Friday and Finals on Saturday of Worlds weekend, with the medalist of the USASF Championship advancing to the 1 day IASF World Championship on Sunday. I would also implement NCA’s Challenge Cup system to ensure all teams earning a bid to Worlds weekend have at least 2 performance. In case you aren’t familiar with NCA’s Challenge Cup, it gives the teams not advancing directly from Preliminaries to Finals a second chance. These teams compete against each other on Finals morning with the winner advancing to Finals.

Countries with enough teams would follow this model outlined for the US. Teams from countries with too few teams to have their own Championship on Friday and Saturday would compete in an IASF Continental Championship with the medalist advancing to the World Championship. The base Continental Championships would be for Africa, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America. The advantage of being able to separate your country from the Continental Championship would be the guarantee of the medalist advancing to the World Championship.

I do think paid bids should only go to club level teams. The whole industry is built on the back of club level teams, so club level teams should be rewarded. If international disappeared tomorrow there will be little consequence, but if club were to disappear so would all of allstar cheer. I say this as a coach of an international 6 team. Paid bids are there for club level teams.

As for LESS teams going to worlds (aka making the event more prestigious) I think it is a double edged sword. What makes worlds so amazing is the ridiculous amount of teams there. After 90% of those teams are done (the ones just happy to be competing there) they turn around and sit in the stands and become the most crazed fervent fans you can imagine. They fill the air with a sense of importance and excitement that can't be described. If we lower the teams we lose that. BUT with so many teams it is harder to be accurately judged.

I don't think there should be 'international' divisions. It is either club or open. Open is 18+ and allows college level kids. Club is 12-18 and no kids who can cheer in college are allowed. You are either a club athlete or an open level athlete, age wise there would be a cutoff where you switch from one to the other.

There should not be just top 3 from a country. That doesn't make sense. If you want the sport to grow, dont restrict talent. If a country wants to send one representative to a division that only has one US team... well isn't that what the ICU is for?

Last, IOC 5 should have normal balanced scoresheets that look like either large all girl or unlimited coed depending. IOC 6 can have the over emphasis on building skills because amazing building is highlighted in 6.

Back