All-Star Large Senior And Worlds! If Only 3 Teams In The Division....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No matter what the cutoff point is (10, 20, 5), there are going to potentially be teams getting cut who are "better" than some of the ones making it. That idea applies at any number you pick.

I completely agree..However it is easier said when 50% of a division is eliminated and 7 (or so) teams are unhappy versus when 90% of a division is wiped out and 60+ teams feel the same way.

Two things I'm gonna :deadhorse: 1. There are too many teams given bids TOTAL.
2. I think Top 10 in finals is awesome, kinda like the 20/75 or 40/60 or 50/50 debate. I feel like Worlds is and should be different than every other competition held. If you know that you gotta make top 10 regardless of how many teams are in your div then A. Being a Top 10 means something and B. Day 1 matters a whole lot more.
Yes I understand what happened with Rockstar this past year, but is that the norm?

Or we could let Large (36) go away and make medium the new large next year. I think the new size has proven that 30 > 36?

If there are 70+ teams in small, then cut that number in half for semis and then take the best 20 to finals...Pocketing the cash of 70+ teams and THEN telling 60+ 0f them "Better luck next year" is not only insulting but also nothing short of highway robbery. I'm sorry but the whole "you're not gonna win so what's the point of competing twice?" mentality is a bit harsh.

Top ten in practically every division at Worlds no big deal, but it is a HUGE accomplishment in Small Senior and more than ten teams should have the opportunity to make it there...there are AT LEAST 20 teams in that division who are good enough to do so.

If finals is just about who's gonna win, then heck, let's just scrap the whole medaling format altogether. Second and third place is no more a win than 1oth place or 15th place. There's only one winner, so take the top two teams from prelims in EVERY division and have them battle it out for the top spot in finals like they do in the superbowl, world series, and every other sport. Would that be fair? To me that's just as crazy as wiping out 90% of a division.

In my opinion, there should be a 30 team cap for Small Senior at Worlds. That way, if you're only taking ten teams to finals then at least you'll know beforehand that more than half of the division has a fighting chance.

I think most teams that place 20+ know that they won't be winning.. so mentally it really shouldn't be that 'harsh' on them because most of these teams are just there for the experience. But teams like Orange, Cali, Panthers, and SSX were ALL considered to be the contenders for the win the entire season, went on full paid bids, and easily made it to finals even with mistakes. I doubt that the team that came in 60th looked at their routine and said 'Oh yeah we have a shot against those teams"

Honestly, if I was a coach, I would only take my team to worlds if they were on some kind of paid bid (Like WCSS does) because it solidifies that you are a contender in the division. Practically anyone can get an at large bid, paid bids are a lot more difficult to come by. This might sound harsh but how many times has team with an at large bid even won worlds? (Excluding international divisions because EP's are a lot more weary about giving paid bids to them). I know a lot of teams like the 'experience' of worlds but if you know that you don't have a shot, you have to be okay with not making finals.

I completely agree..However it is easier said when 50% of a division is eliminated and 7 (or so) teams are unhappy versus when 90% of a division is wiped out and 60+ teams feel the same way.
Well its only 85% of the division. Maybe this will make worlds more elite.

I feel like with many other sports its one of 2 things. Either you are more than happy to even make it to the competition, or you are there just to win. I guess it depends on the organization you are from and what their philosophy is with the teams. Some gyms don't put teams out unless they have the potential to win. Some gyms make teams just because they can.

Lets look at small senior scores for a minute.

Panthers - 1st place - 274
Cheer Express - 7th place - 251.63
Just across the top 7 places, the scores were over 22 points apart. THAT IS HUGE.
Even the top 4 teams had a spread of 14 points.

If worlds is about who wins, then take the top 10 only. If worlds is about having a good time and making everyone feel good, then why not give bids to level 4 teams too.

I dont completely agree with people who make it out to seem like if you dont have a paid bid your not a contender, look at Orlando this year and even last both years they went on at large bids. Last year they came in 5th and this year 6th.

Two things I'm gonna :deadhorse: 1. There are too many teams given bids TOTAL.
2. I think Top 10 in finals is awesome, kinda like the 20/75 or 40/60 or 50/50 debate. I feel like Worlds is and should be different than every other competition held. If you know that you gotta make top 10 regardless of how many teams are in your div then A. Being a Top 10 means something and B. Day 1 matters a whole lot more.
Yes I understand what happened with Rockstar this past year, but is that the norm?
Not the norm at all, but Rich specifically asked if anyone not in the top 10 day 1 had globed. I was just providing the most recent example. And I agree too many bids given out in the first place :deadhorse:

just curious has stars cea or mt ever been knocked out of the top 3 placement of worlds?

yes, remember panthers have also played in this game :) (as well as a few others historically)
well technically, stars have not been knocked out of medalling - they just didn't medal the first 3 years! ;)

ETA: actually, ever since SE started medalling, they haven't been knocked out either!

Latest posts

Back