All-Star Large Senior And Worlds! If Only 3 Teams In The Division....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Few quick thoughts:

All of those large senior teams (including CA Panthers) have competed at Worlds and finished out of the medals at least once.

The biggest divisions already have the majority of the teams performing twice. How many performances before a team will qualify as "happy?" Would changing the names of the rounds in huge divisions make a difference? Prelims, "Finals" (top 25), "Medal Round" (top 10)? We could give out finalist ribbons to everyone in the 2nd round.

Math errors abound in some of the posts. Please don't throw out wild numbers and stats to try to back up your point if they are incorrect. I am trying to focus on the intent of the posts, but I can only contain my inner Sheldon (nerd) for so long.

Barring a tie, there is no way for more than 10 teams to experience being in the top 10 in their division. Every team theoretically starts Worlds with a chance to be top 10, but only 10 will make it regardless of how many rounds there are.

We have had teams finish out of finals, including those that we thought were contenders for medals. It sucks, but that is the way the game is played. You know going in that hitting in prelims/semis is part of the process. I do get where people are coming from wanting to have as many people "win" from their perspective as possible, but IMO, Worlds should be the one competition a year out of hundreds that is focused on determining who are the best teams.

BlueCat said:
The biggest divisions already have the majority of the teams performing twice. How many performances before a team will qualify as "happy?"

This has really bothered me every time it's been said. Why are we worried about everyone going home with smiles and rainbows in their eyes? It's a competition. There's a winner, there's a loser. There's the best teams, there's the worst teams because that's how competition, and generally life, works. Why are we so concerned about sugar coating losing and not being able to perform two, three, FOUR times? I understand the athletes are paying to attend the competition, but that's a risk you take when agree to pay- that you won't make it to finals. It's actually Worlds, not a rinky-dink competition in someone's backyard (except Orlando AllStars.. then it is their backyard ;) ) Somebody HAS to lose. Somebody HAS to win. Somebody HAS to be in the middle.

This has really bothered me every time it's been said. Why are we worried about everyone going home with smiles and rainbows in their eyes? It's a competition. There's a winner, there's a loser. There's the best teams, there's the worst teams because that's how competition, and generally life, works. Why are we so concerned about sugar coating losing and not being able to perform two, three, FOUR times? I understand the athletes are paying to attend the competition, but that's a risk you take when agree to pay- that you won't make it to finals. It's actually Worlds, not a rinky-dink competition in someone's backyard (except Orlando AllStars.. then it is their backyard ;) ) Somebody HAS to lose. Somebody HAS to win. Somebody HAS to be in the middle.

because were cheerleaders, and were sensitive.......................:banghead:

I like the idea of medium becoming the new large. I've already said that large senior is a good division and the teams are good, but if you aren't the top 3 then you aren't good enough, not even close. I love CAC Gold, they are a great team, but put them next to Stars, CEA, they can't even compete. Taking out those few girls who are throwing tucks and layouts because they don't have their fulls and the division will once again become interesting. Plus, I personally think large senior is a sloppy division. No matter what team is performing. Too many bodies going around, it looks like Black Friday shopping at the mall.

i honestly don't want large senior to die. i want some teams to come out of the wood works with a large senior team that can give the top 3 a run for their money
All these gyms fielding medium teams this year might not have as big of an issue finding 6 new athletes to go large senior next year (As apposed to jumping 20 to 36 and needing 16 extra athletes)

With respect to issues like many teams advance to day 2, the thing that bothers me here (and has in the past) is the possibility lurking of rules/guidelines/ precident being created and/or changed "mid-stream", IMO, makes cheer or any sport feel unprofessional.

All these gyms fielding medium teams this year might not have as big of an issue finding 6 new athletes to go large senior next year (As apposed to jumping 20 to 36 and needing 16 extra athletes)

The problem is there is little to no reward to go to 36. I have coached it and I can tell you it just won't happen. The 'idea' of large is better than it is in practice. When you actually see a bunch of teams in medium you'll understand.

The problem is there is little to no reward to go to 36. I have coached it and I can tell you it just won't happen. The 'idea' of large is better than it is in practice. When you actually see a bunch of teams in medium you'll understand.
Oh I'm sure.. if I had the chance to stay medium or go large against the Big 3, I'd stay medium.

I believe that is missing the point. What would be GREAT for the industry would be for the "Big 3" to become medium. Thus eliminating large entirely. Medium was not created for teams to run away from the "Big 3". It was created to encourage growth and more competition in the sport in general. While I love watching those three teams, there should not be a division that only has 3 teams in it the whole year across the entire country. My guess is that this might be the last year of large = 36. And next year, small will be 20, "large" will be 30. For all divisions. And I will rejoice if/when that happens because I think it is better for the sport for a bazillion reasons that have already been discussed on other threads ad nauseum.

like i said before, i wish more teams would try. the more they work for it, the more likely they are to beat the "big 3" as we're calling them. 36 is just so impressive to watch. i would really hate to see it die, just because teams won't take the risk to go against great competition. yes, it's unlikely that they would get in there their first year, but with time, anything's possible. plus i love seeing the big 3 as large

Again...it is not about not TRYING. It is about how most gyms cannot produce enough athletes to compete against 36. To produce 36 elite athletes is tough. Lowering the amount to 30 allows teams with 24-26 kids to be competitive against 30...not so much against 36. It is not about KILLING the large division, it is about MODIFYING it to encourage growth and more competition, which is good for everyone. :)

like i said before, i wish more teams would try. the more they work for it, the more likely they are to beat the "big 3" as we're calling them. 36 is just so impressive to watch. i would really hate to see it die, just because teams won't take the risk to go against great competition. yes, it's unlikely that they would get in there their first year, but with time, anything's possible. plus i love seeing the big 3 as large

I'm sure your "big 3" will still be "large". "Large" will just be 30 (or 32). The division will then thrive again when it's setup better matches the needs of the industry as a whole. (Witness large coed now - a healthy, growing division - likely with well more than 3 teams in contention for medals.)

Latest posts

Back