OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
It was infuriating! For years after I would hear a song and expect the next song from the Gap tape to follow. I did love working there though and my biggest regret was not taking a folding board or two when I graduated and moved.
Lol I'm so bummed I didn't take a folding board! It would have been impossible though cuz they check our bags when we leave the store :/ So I just use a folder instead :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

There is a mandatory book you must read each month? Interesting. Who selects the book?
Reminds me of my stint working at The Gap my senior year of college. Back in the good old days of cassette tapes, the corporate office would send a monthly music compilation that was the only thing that played in the store's music player. We would get Christmas music in October and be so sick of it by November. One of the assistant managers hid the Motown tape though rather than return it and we would sneak that out every once in a while ;).

The Fierce Board App![/quote]

Well. "One Book" is something that our library system does once a year. Last year the book was "Dangerously Loud and Incredibly Close. I'm pretty sure that it was selected this year because it is a YA book that adults can "easily enjoy". Also the author (Veronica Roth) will be here for "YallFest" (Young Adult literacy festival in the beginning of November). That coupled with the fact that the movie comes out in the spring just made it all "work"... Why not buy hundreds of copies of a book most people will want to read before the big blockbuster comes out....and the author will be in town... and yadda yadda. Anyway for the month of October all of our programming (YA-Adult) is "Divergent" themed. I even had to take a quiz to determine my Faction and wear a little button (I'm a Erudite...go figure a librarian Erudite..what are the odds). I technically don't have to read it since I'm a Children's Librarian and not just a Librarian-Librarian... but I'd figured I'd set a good example for the rest of the staff and participate. Jokes on Erin. Har. Har. Har. Nobody thinks that I will finish by the 31st

I just prefer The Giver.

It's a really quick read if you need a break from Divergent. I read it in 4 hours last night on my iPad (including taking frequent twitter breaks through the first half), so assuming you have a hard copy and are a much faster reader than I, you could probably knock it out in 3 hours or less

The Fierce Board App!

Yeaaaah. No. I don't like reading (anymore). Having a Masters in Library and Info Science did that to me. I'm currently in the middle of I'm not entirely sure how many books (Fifty Shades Freed- June2012, Mocking Jay- April 2012, the latest PLL books, the latest Lying Games book, Mindy Kalings book, The Secret, The Last Lecture (all started in 2013)....the latest Sophie Kinsella book etc. Lord Jesus I'm overwhelmed typing all of that out. Like I just don't have the time nor do I feel comfortable adding an additional book into all of that struggle.

I'm actually a speed reader but I just can't anymore. Its okay and not okay for me to say that I don't like reading (anymore) because I'm a librarian and I spend all day looking at books, why and how can I come home and read one.

Reading for fun is a novelty to most people... for me.. its work...I don't work when I'm not at work so... Like I can't go home and read when I know that I have to watch (for instance tonight) 2 shows of the local news, NBC Nightly News, Entertainment Tonight, troll the internet, watch X Factor, Glee and Greys Anatomy (which come on at the same time) , Scandal, troll facebook, troll twitter, watch the news, troll celebrity gossip sites, text etc... Like I don't have the time to read after work. All of this I have to watch WHILE everyone else watching it. Sure I DVR it but then people will talk about it and ruin it for me so I have to get it done. Like its overwhelming being me...Woe is me...

In conclusion if you enjoy reading. Don't become a librarian. Because you will stop enjoying it.

@HeresAThought My oldest is reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for Grade 11 English right now. I cannot imagine not enjoying reading anymore - to me it's like breathing - however I understand; in my busy season at work when I am on the phone almost the entire day I do not want to talk on the phone at all. To anyone. For about 2 months. If the phone rings, I sometimes actually twitch.

@HeresAThought My oldest is reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for Grade 11 English right now. I cannot imagine not enjoying reading anymore - to me it's like breathing - however I understand; in my busy season at work when I am on the phone almost the entire day I do not want to talk on the phone at all. To anyone. For about 2 months. If the phone rings, I sometimes actually twitch.

I didn't read Extremely Loud because I started in this system the end of October 2012 so I just missed it. Prior to I was an academic librarian. Which I think I enjoy more than being a public librarian. I had more time to read and I prefer the research aspect of librarianship more so than the readers advisory aspect of librarianship. I hate being asked for book suggestions, its an unnecessary pressure. I hate people giving me book suggestions because I don't care and I'm capable (of finding things to read on my own).

I dislike hate other librarians. I dislike those nerds so much. They're the biggest elitist nerds on the planet. I call them librarian nerds. They always try to one-up you with their reading-ness. Conferences slay my soul and spirit and make me want to die. And they stare at me because I dress well

UGH and you know what really grinds my gears? When people say "lieberry"... I'm at work now and I just heard it. Completely unrelated but seriously.... I can't, I won't and I refuse with "lieberry"

I worded my prior post wrong. I enjoy reading...I don't enjoy not having the time to read on my own free will anymore.

What an unnecessary vent I've had.

This happened yesterday but it totally just reentered my mind and how much it bugs me...
My SLS (easy A pointless class I have to take because of the math I am in) class has been learning about career possibilities and ect. and I am one of the youngest in the class being only a few of students are directly out of high school and I'm often pretty quiet in the class. My professor has been mentioning participation as points and pushed it the other day in class so I spoke up about my major (sports management) and she asked what I wanted to do with that and I explained to her about cheerleading and how I want to possibly market in this industry and everyone else in the class kind of gave that laugh like 'how can she make a career out of cheerleading?'. But the thing that actually bugged me is that my prof told me I shouldn't major in Sports management and I need to do more research on my career options. Like excuse me?! She tried telling me all the negatives about jobs in cheerleading, not sports related jobs, but CHEERLEADING JOBS. All the information she was telling me was so wrong and kept implying that I wanted to coach.. no I want to market and advertise. Ugh she has no idea... And she's the basketball coach which just bugged me because she always gloats about how successful her team is :banghead:

Such an easy class but this teacher just gets on my nerves and always tries to be right.

Rant over.

I'm sorry you're dealing with all that. It's too bad sometimes that we can't pick our parents, isn't it? I'm 44 years old and don't have much of a relationship with my mom. But that you're there for your little brother, that means the world to him. Continue to be a positive influence in his life. You and he will be so happy in the end that you were there.

And if the boyfriend isn't 100% supportive of you and just stresses you out more, ditch him! Believe me, ditch him. ;)
You're too sweet :) he is 300 percent supportive it's just hard to balance my time with him. My brother doesn't appreciate anything though. He had his license and lost it for driving like a maniac and refused to get a job to pay to get it back.so I have to drive him to school every single morning.even days when I have class and it's five miles in the other direction. My mom doesn't even make him get a job either.I cook for him clean for him and cart him around. It's so annoying.

two things...
1. My coach has our music and won't share it and is teasing us with voiceover quotes/lines from songs, and screenshots and it's DRIVING ME INSANE I WANNA HEAR MY MUSIC ALREADY GOSH DARN IT'S MY SENIOR YEAR!
and 2. lol I got my braces off today :)
1376571_4930704324244_1118456013_n.jpg

eta sorry it's huge

It's 2 AM and I just finished The Fault in Our Stars for the first time. For the majority of the book, I was thinking "yeah this is a good story, but I don't get why people freak out over it so much." And then with like 50 pages left I was in tears and feeling allllll of the emotions at once. And then I got it. And even though I'm pretty sure I got something totally different out of it than most people my age do, it made me realize that's what a good book should do. It should make you feel something and who cares what everybody else thinks of it or got from it

I finished it last year on a plane at like 6am and was trying to hold it together, but it didn't really work lol. It was kind of embarrassing haha. but it is such a good book! I'm excited for the movie. I'm pretty sure John Green has a big role in the production? Hopefully it's a good movie. Have you read Looking for Alaska? It was pretty good too!

There is a mandatory book you must read each month? Interesting. Who selects the book?
Reminds me of my stint working at The Gap my senior year of college. Back in the good old days of cassette tapes, the corporate office would send a monthly music compilation that was the only thing that played in the store's music player. We would get Christmas music in October and be so sick of it by November. One of the assistant managers hid the Motown tape though rather than return it and we would sneak that out every once in a while ;).

Lol I work at a Gap Inc company and now they send us cd's instead but not every month. We just have a general one we play everyday and sometimes we get new ones for holidays. The cd's are horrible though and you can never get any of the songs out of your head :mad:

Back