OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Got this email today from my english teacher.... :jawdrop:
(It's long but it's a quite entertaining read I promise)

I read it and was SHOCKED... does anyone else find parts of this to be a bit rude?

While I agree with her sentiments (it is beyond annoying that college level students can't write papers AT ALL these days), if I was her student I would be outraged at the atrocious grammar in this. Seriously... Outraged. Why is she a teacher if she can't put together an email without at least 25 grammatical errors in it?

I think I'd print this email out, grade it in red ink (circling and correcting every error), and give it to her and her supervisor - and then ask her does she really want to fuss about the bad papers. If the TEACHER can't write, how can the students be expected to?

Side note: what kind of unprofessional moron needs to ask their supervisor what to do about grading some bad papers? Give the bad grades and keep moving.

Better solution: give each paper the grade it deserves. As she's handing them back, say, "Some of you probably won't be happy with your grade. Please bring your paper and a printed copy of the rubric with you to my office during office hours and we can go over it, so you can see why you received the grade that you did." And if she's so worried about it, THEN give people a chance to earn back a few points.

I'm so over teachers babying college kids. Stop worrying about hurting someone's feelings and give them an F if they deserve it. (and hey, supervisors, stop pressuring these teachers to pass students to keep your numbers up, or to keep someone playing a sport. If they don't know their info, make them go back and learn it.) This is how we end up with teachers who can't spell or write. She probably had a bunch of teachers who were afraid to give her a big fat F on her writing too.

Sorry for the rant, but good lord our education system is such a joke now. I swear in the "Education" section on my resume I want to put "Never bothered to finish my degree, because I learned more in high school than most kids learn in 4 years of college now."

Anyway... Yes the email is rude. Yes it's unprofessional. :D

#CarefullyStepsDownFromSoapbox
:oops:

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I didn't see anything rude in the email. Email is the number one way to communicate with students over break. The only thing I thought was bad were the grammatical errors as an English teacher... really? I'm actually going to school to be an English teacher and I would've been a lot harder on them. No works cited for a 6 page essay? I cite my work if I have to write a paragraph. My literature teacher would have had a heart attack and given everyone an F if there was no citation. Then when people complained that their grades were too low all she'd day is, "read the rubric." I think you got it easy that she's willing to let you redo it!

Last edited:
Personally as a librarian I'm horrified that college students turned in a paper without a works cited page....or a proper works cited paper. Really there's no excuse...the databases literally prepare the citations for you...in every style. There's just no reason.

The only thing unprofessional about the email was the grammatical errors and the sending it to the wrong section. If I was a professor I would have read people for filth over such foolishness as well. I don't know won't she needed to consult her supervisor over what to do...but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because she clearly knows something about her job they I don't

It's college. Step your game up children. No more hand holding and coddling. My mass media law professor in college would make this chick look like Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus (or whatever her name was )

Last edited:
I didn't see anything rude in the email. Email is the number one way to communicate with students over break. The only thing I thought was bad were the grammatical errors as an English teacher... really? I'm actually going to school to be an English teacher and I would've been a lot harder on them. No works cited for a 6 page essay? I cite my work if I have to write a paragraph. My literature teacher would have had a heart attack and given everyone an F if there was no citation. Then when people complained that their grades were too low all she'd day is, "read the rubric." I think you got it easy that she's willing to let you redo it!

Personally as a librarian I'm horrified that college students turned in a paper without a works cited page....or a proper works cited paper. Really there's no excuse...the databases liter prepare the citations for you...in every style. There's just no reason.

The only thing unprofessional about the email was the grammatical errors and the sending it to the wrong section. If I was a professor I would have read people for filth over such foolishness as well. I don't know won't she needed to consult her supervisor over what to do...but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because she clearly knows something about her job they I don't

It's college. Step your game up children. No more hand holding and coddling. My mass media law professor in college would make this chick look like Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus (or whatever her name was )

Maybe not so much rude as unprofessional. In any "corporate America" job I've had, her head would be on a platter for that email. Between the grammar, the length (my old boss would have flipped - no one has time to read an essay on your feelings - say what you need to say in 1-2 paragraphs or say it in person), sending it to everyone, sending it to the wrong group... She'd have been hauled into some HR person's office fast.

I totally get why she's so annoyed. What I don't get is why she's bothering with all this. No works cited? What? Don't even read the paper - just give them a zero and onto the next paper. I don't know what ever happened to that. I guarantee if she graded them the way they should be graded it wouldn't happen again.

I don't know why high schools keep letting these kids graduate and go on to college without knowing how to write a paper, but since they do... I'm going to need these colleges to put a stop to this nonsense. No works cited? Zero. Plagiarism? Zero. Misspellings? Points off. Bad grammar? Yep, more points off. Most of the papers I see now from my fellow college classmates would have gotten about a 20% when I was growing up. But they get A's! What in the world... Pathetic. After reading that email, I'm beginning to think it's because the teachers don't even know what proper spelling and grammar is anymore. :(

Maybe not so much rude as unprofessional. In any "corporate America" job I've had, her head would be on a platter for that email. Between the grammar, the length (my old boss would have flipped - no one has time to read an essay on your feelings - say what you need to say in 1-2 paragraphs or say it in person), sending it to everyone, sending it to the wrong group... She'd have been hauled into some HR person's office fast.

I totally get why she's so annoyed. What I don't get is why she's bothering with all this. No works cited? What? Don't even read the paper - just give them a zero and onto the next paper. I don't know what ever happened to that. I guarantee if she graded them the way they should be graded it wouldn't happen again.

I don't know why high schools keep letting these kids graduate and go on to college without knowing how to write a paper, but since they do... I'm going to need these colleges to put a stop to this nonsense. No works cited? Zero. Plagiarism? Zero. Misspellings? Points off. Bad grammar? Yep, more points off. Most of the papers I see now from my fellow college classmates would have gotten about a 20% when I was growing up. But they get A's! What in the world... Pathetic. After reading that email, I'm beginning to think it's because the teachers don't even know what proper spelling and grammar is anymore. :(

I agree, the length is unnecessary. Actually the entire thing is unnecessary. Plagiarism is so huge in the college world its appalling that students didn't cite. If I were the teacher I'd be throwing zeros everywhere. There wouldn't even be an email. I'd report them to the Dean if it were reoccurring for plagiarism. You're right about students not knowing how to write essays. I've had to peer edit and it looks like middle schoolers wrote them! I'm not going to be one of those teachers that just lets students get away with everything.

Hey everyone! I am writing a news story about a team preparing for worlds in one of my classes. I have already picked who I am interviewing but I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for questions for me. I'm asking things like, "How many times have you gone?" and "What have been some challenges your team has faced this season?"
But I need some help coming up with more questions! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! What would you want to know if you were interviewing a team?

For the record I agree with the whole missing works cited thing... She spent days going over citations. Just some of the other things she said struck me wrong. Especially the "my life doesn't revolve around teaching"..... Then why do you teach

I see where she was going with this though... You're in a freshman writing class. For a lot of kids, these classes are a wake up call. A high school teacher may give you the benefit of the doubt for not meeting requirements, but I think this teacher feels it is her responsibility to wake everyone up and give them a reality check. This blatant disregard of the requirements won't fly in any other college course, or in the real world.

For the record I agree with the whole missing works cited thing... She spent days going over citations. Just some of the other things she said struck me wrong. Especially the "my life doesn't revolve around teaching"..... Then why do you teach

I think she worded that part wrong about not having her life revolve around teaching... What she probably means is that her whole life isn't grading papers and assignments. I know professors and teachers spend a lot of extra time doing lesson plans, creating assignments, grading, and so on. This often cuts into their family time and other activities. I think what she was trying to say is that she doesn't want to spend even more time grading more papers that she already read once.

She is just really bad at communication and sending emails.

do you guys have any stories about convenience stores and how they impact your community or how they have had any reverence in your life? i need some for a school assignment.

just little things like it gave you freedom and independence or something

Me and my friend plastic wrapped her roommates side of the room. She came back and cleaned it all and then left. So we hid her mattress and pillows. I'm laughing so much.

About the paper topic, my comp one professor last year (my freshman year) required every student to make an appointment with her outside of class so we could go over our papers with her after she graded them because she was rather...displeased. Fortunately mine was one of the few A's, but I had friends who got D's and F's on their papers for silly things. All because they didn't follow the rubric that was in the syllabus.

Back