New Random Thread 4

Discussion in 'Random' started by Ashley, Mar 3, 2017.

1. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    As a former college student, your freshman year of college is going to be the most stressful semesters of your life, especially the first few. Add possibly travelling for both football and basketball games during those semesters depending on when you start....
    I was not a college athlete but i can imagine how tough it is to juggle it all.

2. Ems

Ems I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    As a former college cheerleader, I would say being able to handle it or not really depends on program specifics. I cheered for a community college before retiring. Athletics weren’t huge but we still cheered are every home football and basketball games (men and women’s) and travelled for playoff games, though that was not a common occurrence during my time there. We also competed At USA and Stunt.
    We practiced 6-10 hours a week, spread across 2-4 days depending on the time of the year. Plus Saturdays in the fall were occupied with football games and 3-4 hours twice a week for basketball games in January and February (and maybe March).
    In terms of academics, I was a business major (and then ended up switching majors after “retirement”) and took 12-15 units per semester. I also was living in dorms, about 3 hours away from home.
    I honestly did not find it that hard to do both, but I also wasn’t really challenged academically. I had always been a “good student” in high school and while I was a procrastinator, having a busy schedule nipped that in the bud pretty fast.
    Regardless if you end up going to a more academically rigorous school or a more time-involved program (or both!) I do have recommendations.
    - Have a calendar. Whether you keep it in your phone, have a planner, or a whiteboard calendar, use it and check it often. Write down when homework’s are due, when you have practice, any games, whatever. That way you will never forget anything.
    - Get homework done ASAP. If it’s assigned on a day you don’t have practice, DO IT! Not only will you feel so much better when it’s over, it gives you leeway if you have a last minute practice added or god forbid you just want some me time. You won’t feel guilty or stressed out because you’re all caught up. This was hard for me to get into the habit of, but once I did, life was soooooooo much easier.
    - Communicate with your professors. Conflicts will arise. Depending on your school, cheer may or may not be seen as a “sport” and given the same privileges as other athletes. Most professors won’t give a crap whether your school calls you athletes or not, they just want ample notice. Most professors will have exam dates set prior to the start of the semester/quarter and will be listed in the syllabus. If you know you have a conflict that day (i.e., having to travel for a game or competition) let them know ASAP. I would send an email as soon as I realized the conflict, and then again two weeks away from the missed day in question as a reminder to the professor and to schedule a time to take an exam early, turn in HW, whatever.
    - Use your schools resources!!!! If you are feeling behind in class or need help, I guarantee you, your future college has some sort of free, peer tutoring service. Never be afraid to ask your professors if they know of any school resources (if they haven’t already mentioned them in class/in the syllabus), especially for STEM fields. And never be afraid to use those services. I was so scared to use my schools math tutoring services for the first time, I felt I was going to be judged and feel stupid, but that was not the case! All of the tutors were super nice and helpful. (And if for some reason they are judge-y and mean, report their butt to their supervisor because that is not okay)

Now this next part is where I give caution to cheering in college.
    Don’t let cheering get in the way of your future. If you are someone who knows exactly what you want to do with your life, I would prioritize that over cheering in college. And this is what I mean by that:
    When I was cheering in college, I had no idea what I was doing with my academic life. Sure I was declared as a business major but it was really just to get people off of my back because I was sick of their reaction when I said I didn’t know what my major was. When I was cheering, I was just taking general ed classes. During my last semester of cheer, I discovered what I really wanted my major to be (which ended up being math, of all things). While I still had an opportunity to cheer when I transferred to a 4-year university, I got jobs on campus tutoring math through my university and grading for mathematics classes. This gave me relevant, degree-related things I could put on my resumé, which will either help you get a job in your field after graduation, or get into grad school (which is the route I took). I don’t think I would have been able to manage a competitive cheer schedule with my upper division core classes and various on campus jobs. Even though I have really good time management skills, there aren’t enough hours in the day and I need sleep to function.

Soooooo, all and all, this was a lot of information you may not have asked for, but this is my college and college cheer experience in a nutshell. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And regardless of whether you cheer in college or not, my four points at the beginning still apply! I now teach a freshman-level math class at a university and if students could just follow those four things everyone would pass every class.

3. UCFKnights07

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    People calling cheer updates out on twitter finally......... im here for it...

4. DancerDude0118

DancerDude0118 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    The Most Populated Timezone on the Planet
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    What was it for this time?

5. UCFKnights07

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    im actually blocked by CU, but it wasnt hard to figure out with everyone subtweeting his responses. I wont lie it was probably an over reaction as a whole, but he put out info about reckless not hitting zero, and orby commented back pretty sarcastically that he should do a better job at his job, etc. etc. Then everyone jumped on the hate train and started telling stories about their not so friendly interactions with CU.
    It was entertaining to read at least for a few hours...

6. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I saw the original Orby post - I'll side with CU on this one. No one is perfect (I saw the same Reckless performance and thought CU was accurate). I find both of those coaches to be extremely immature and petty in person and particularly on social media. I had an encounter with them a few years back at worlds during the fame seeking smoed years when I was simply walking to a quiet area to make a work related phone call which forced me to walk by their team and I got berated for it - totally unprofessional and ridiculous of them since I wasn't even looking in their direction.
    Like him or not, CU has provided a service that people were desperate for, that the industry chooses not to provide, and that we would miss immensely if it didn't exist.

7. 4D3CHEER!

4D3CHEER! Slow your roll, Sparkle. Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    156stars
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    I am so grateful for what CU has done to cheer world and for their updates. As an international fan, CU has helped me to 'see' and 'feel' the cheerleading worlds.

I just wish those people who keep hating on CU start to appreciate great and positive things that CU has contributed to cheerleading worlds.

8. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    In addition to what was mentioned, he also falsely claimed Champion Cheer Heat went from 10th place to 2nd and was dead silent when people corrected him on that.
    (I missed most of the Reckless drama 'cause Orby blocked me on twitter.)
    It's a shame Cheer Updates is so rude to people sometimes, because that makes people forget the good stuff he's done.

9. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think this is the problem. A lot of people don't forget, and then when you get a glimpse back into the attitude and negativity, it just validates and makes people go "welp, nothing has changed". The great things are often overshadowed.

To me, this is such a lesson for the real world... The internet is brutal, but most of all never forgets.

10. UCFKnights07

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    It doesnt truly affect me cause im blocked. But I do find a grown adult being as petty as he is kinda ridiculous. I dont agree with either side being petty but they also in a way coach these kids and spend countless hours in the gym, so i can see why they would be upset about inaccurate info, etc. being spread.
    To me CU is an online/Twitter account and not much more. For as harsh as he is to athletes and coaches I guess i dont see how he is given so much access at comps.
    Be mean to anons all you want, but calling out programs and going back and forth with coaching staff, I cant agree with.
    Sports commentators mess up all the time. It happens. The difference is the professional ones correct their inaccuracies, CU just ignores and continues on like its no big deal.
    I just found it entertaining for an hour last night reading through some of it thats all.

11. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I know it's not really the point, but his info was not inaccurate in regards to that specific tweet. They had bobbles, but those are not deductions, therefore wouldn't be on a deduction sheet, which a coach should know. But I agree, other times where he is not accurate and gets corrected, he doesn't handle it well.

12. NJ Coach

NJ Coach 10's Across the Board....literally. Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My problem with the Orby tweet is exactly what @luv2cheer92 said. CU wasn't wrong. It wasn't a deduction cause Varsity stopped deducting for bobbles, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. There was also another tweet this weekend from the Smoed family that said something about him playing favorites. I have 2 issues with this. 1...Smoed didn't have an issue when they were the perceived favorite. 2...CU is a team of people. Yes, everyone knows DJ, but CU coverage at events is a team of people. It's never just him. Guess what, I've CU'd competitions. It's NOT easy. You make mistakes. You try and err on the side of caution and give the benefit of the doubt to the team. Rule of thumb has always been, if they would call it at worlds, it gets listed.
    Is DJ the person a fan of certain organizations/teams, of course, he's human. However, in the coverage of any particular event, I don't see a bias. The tweet is the mistakes in the routine, or the lack of.

13. Ally13

Ally13 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Can anybody tell me the team that had Primadonna by Marina right before baskets in their mix? I know this very vague, but I’ve had this stuck in my head and I swear it’s a cheer mix. I could also just be going crazy

EDIT: It’s TG Lady Jags 12-13

14. UCFKnights07

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I'm curious to know peoples opinions as i have been out of the sport since 2008. Whats your opinion on teams releasing or refusing to release athletes? As being the paying customer, should gyms really have that much control over why or when an athlete decides to quit or leave mid season or anytime during the season?

15. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    If a team can't have more than the number of athletes they had when their bid was received, and the athlete wanting the release remaining on the team would put them over, I don't see why they would be refused a release. (Unless it's for unpaid bills/fees, or if the athlete starting practicing with their 'new' team before quitting their former team.)
    There really should be a committee or something like that where refused releases can be reviewed.