All-Star New Take On Crossovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

when i first came to my gym i was really on the fence of being a complete level five athlete. i double teamd for four and five. i was able to perfect tumbling and build up in level four and still do the level five stunting and be challenged tumbling wise

You can disregard my last question, after rereading this I see why you're letting her do it. It's why my kids do it too. And guess what? She will end up being that mulit faceted (I never said multi talented.......) cheerleader I spoke of.

You are right. However, this specific child of mine, is NOT an incredibly passionate athlete. To be honest, I agreed to the double teaming for her because it was the ONLY thing that made her want to keep cheering. For whatever reason, she does not like to fly at all. BUT she's great at it and it's realistically the only position she'll ever have unless she grows A LOT! Basing makes her feel "older" maybe or "bigger". I think she feels like flying is the baby spot. lol I know her line of thinking is CRAZY, but she's stubborn and you cannot break her. lol So ya, for her, there is not dream goal. I'm just trying to hang on to her as long as possible before she decides to quit for good. If, however, she was at a gym where making a certain level 5 team would be hard to do, I would have a much different attitude about it. ;)

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. LOL Just giving a living breathing account of what really happens season after season. And I'll admit you have the coaching background to draw your conclusions from as well and I do not. I'm only speaking to the reason's why, I, as a parent allow my kids to do it. (See my last post about the trend moving to multi faceted cheerleaders) LOL I can see where you're reasonings as a parent come from too as it relates to your specific gym. Gym dynamics are different everywhere you go. In the CEA gym dynamic, I am taking the chance that my 12 year old will have so many years experience at basing and flying that she'll be able to contribute equally to "Her dream team" no matter what the staff needs on a particular day. Is it a leap of faith to some degree? Absolutely! I guess we'll just have to wait and watch and see if the gamble pays off. LOL It might not but then again........

Your athlete A and B scenario would be a good question in her thread. You know how that would look coming from me, so do a friend a favor and ask her. HAHAHAHAHA (JK....slightly)

lol! I have avoided asking a question in that thread because my tendency would be to ask questions about the things that really bother me about her specific ways to running a gym and I don't want to start drama. lol I (like my daughter) am very stubborn and it is very hard to change my mind on things, lol). However, it would be nice to know what her (and other coaches from high profile gyms/teams cough cough Kingston, BlueCat) opinion is on this very subject. :)

And to keep it real, your outcome could be spot on and I could be completely wrong. I am in no way an expert on crossovers and how they benefit/hurt an athlete. I'm just very opinionated on the subject and that's about it. haha I DO think crossovers for a business and gym's marketability are very helpful. And I'm not AGAINST crossovers 100%. I am just in favor of limiting them. :)

it would be nice to know what her (and other coaches from high profile gyms/teams cough cough Kingston, BlueCat) opinion is on this very subject.

I would suggest then starting a thread that allows for both sides of the issue to be addressed. While I sometimes fail at this, I try to stick to the request of the person starting a topic. There was a specific request here to only talk about the positives.

As weird as this may sound, crossing down levels has helped my tumbling extensively. Two seasons ago, my senior year, I was on senior 4 IOC5. I have a punch front through to double, but not a 2 to full. This is mainly because my back handsprings are horrible. When they needed someone to cross to our senior 2 team I begged my coaches to let me do it, because I personally love to compete no matter what the level. It ended up helping my tumbling tremendously, because all I could work on at practice was back handspring and more back handsprings, while on my other teams I worked my more advanced tumbling. I am thankful to have crossed on to level two, because with the extra back handspring help I got my two to full!

I would suggest then starting a thread that allows for both sides of the issue to be addressed. While I sometimes fail at this, I try to stick to the request of the person starting a topic. There was a specific request here to only talk about the positives.

Note taken and done. :) My first post was actually meant to be a positive on crossovers though. lol Then commentary got in the way. ;)

You are right. However, this specific child of mine, is NOT an incredibly passionate athlete. To be honest, I agreed to the double teaming for her because it was the ONLY thing that made her want to keep cheering. For whatever reason, she does not like to fly at all. BUT she's great at it and it's realistically the only position she'll ever have unless she grows A LOT! Basing makes her feel "older" maybe or "bigger". I think she feels like flying is the baby spot. lol I know her line of thinking is CRAZY, but she's stubborn and you cannot break her. lol So ya, for her, there is not dream goal. I'm just trying to hang on to her as long as possible before she decides to quit for good. If, however, she was at a gym where making a certain level 5 team would be hard to do, I would have a much different attitude about it. ;)

I can totally see where you are coming from....you're reason's are different from mine but at the end of the day it's the same end result.

As far as your bolded statement aren't they all hard to make? I say yes, very hard! And it get's harder every season. I think I read on here somewhere that 15 different girls flew in the Sr Elite routine at some point in time. (My guess it's more like 12) 1 might have done 1 stunt but not the other. 1 might not have done the basket and pyramid but not the stunts. There are kids that flew on past teams but didnt fly on that one. What if I decide that my 12 year old is tall (and she is) and has flown for 7 years but probably won't be a flyer on the dream team. (She hasn't decided what her dream team is yet by the way.........although her sisters have. LOL) I chuck all that work and experience and encourage her to concentrate on basing from 12 to 16 only to find out they are base heavy that season and need flyers. No dream team for her. When spending an equal amount of time honing both those postitions could have actually put her on the team. Again, leap of faith.....and scary......and maybe when she decides what her dream team is it'll be time for a sit down with the owner to map out a different plan. But for right now.....I'm putting her eggs in the well rounded basket by agreeing for her to crossover.

I can totally see where you are coming from....you're reason's are different from mine but at the end of the day it's the same end result.

As far as your bolded statement aren't they all hard to make? I say yes, very hard! And it get's harder every season. I think I read on here somewhere that 15 different girls flew in the Sr Elite routine at some point in time. (My guess it's more like 12) 1 might have done 1 stunt but not the other. 1 might not have done the basket and pyramid but not the stunts. There are kids that flew on past teams but didnt fly on that one. What if I decide that my 12 year old is tall (and she is) and has flown for 7 years but probably won't be a flyer on the dream team. (She hasn't decided what her dream team is yet by the way.........although her sisters have. LOL) I chuck all that work and experience and encourage her to concentrate on basing from 12 to 16 only to find out they are base heavy that season and need flyers. No dream team for her. When spending an equal amount of time honing both those postitions could have actually put her on the team. Again, leap of faith.....and scary......and maybe when she decides what her dream team is it'll be time for a sit down with the owner to map out a different plan. But for right now.....I'm putting her eggs in the well rounded basket by agreeing for her to crossover.

Yes! End result = happy kid!! ;)

My belief as a coach -- I can usually tell you when a kid is 7-8 maybe 9-10 if they will end up flying or basing on a senior team. Compare your child's size and stunting abilities to others her age. Would she base or fly on a team of kids ALL her age, give or take a year?? Because on a senior team, that is how is SHOULD be for the most part. Yes, that 12 year old will fly on a senior team at 12, but will she at 15 or 16?? That is how I look at it as a parent and as a coach. That philosophy could be very wrong at your gym, but for the most part, it's been spot on everywhere I've been.

Yes! End result = happy kid!! ;)

My belief as a coach -- I can usually tell you when a kid is 7-8 maybe 9-10 if they will end up flying or basing on a senior team. Compare your child's size and stunting abilities to others her age. Would she base or fly on a team of kids ALL her age, give or take a year?? Because on a senior team, that is how is SHOULD be for the most part. Yes, that 12 year old will fly on a senior team at 12, but will she at 15 or 16?? That is how I look at it as a parent and as a coach. That philosophy could be very wrong at your gym, but for the most part, it's been spot on everywhere I've been.

Another good questions for the woman that get's to decide where and what my kid will do. LMAO Since she was 11 this past season and a backspot on Youth and front spot/backspot on Jrs, I would have to say that she'll be a base/backspot if she ever decides her dream team is Sr Elite. However, if she decides Coed Elite is her dream team then I think she has the skills and technique to be able to fly if she wanted and was needed to. (Again I'm no coach and I might and do see her through those rose colored cheer mom glasses that we all wear sometimes) I could also be totally wrong and she has no chance of making either dream team. There's no guarantee's. LOL I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I'm not naive enough to think that stunting ability is the only deciding factor. Tumbling fits in there too and she doesn't master that quite as quickly as she does the stunting part. So she probably won't be a last tumbling pass on a Worlds level team anytime soon or ever, so being more well rounded is what she brings to the table. Again, we'll see in a few years how that works out. There's no Plan B at this point. LOL (And maybe there should be....I think I'll ask her that one myself) LOL

I'll stop now, I've revealed way more about my kid than I am comfortable with in an open forum. But, I don't know who else to use as far as examples go to have an effective discussion. LOL

Another good questions for the woman that get's to decide where and what my kid will do. LMAO Since she was 11 this past season and a backspot on Youth and front spot/backspot on Jrs, I would have to say that she'll be a base/backspot if she ever decides her dream team is Sr Elite. However, if she decides Coed Elite is her dream team then I think she has the skills and technique to be able to fly if she wanted and was needed to. (Again I'm no coach and I might and do see her through those rose colored cheer mom glasses that we all wear sometimes) I could also be totally wrong and she has no chance of making either dream team. There's no guarantee's. LOL I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I'm not naive enough to think that stunting ability is the only deciding factor. Tumbling fits in there too and she doesn't master that quite as quickly as she does the stunting part. So she probably won't be a last tumbling pass on a Worlds level team anytime soon or ever, so being more well rounded is what she brings to the table. Again, we'll see in a few years how that works out. There's no Plan B at this point. LOL (And maybe there should be....I think I'll ask her that one myself) LOL

I'll stop now, I've revealed way more about my kid than I am comfortable with in an open forum. But, I don't know who else to use as far as examples go to have an effective discussion. LOL

Just wanted to say that I LOVE being able to debate with you and have mature discussions. :) In the end, we are probably both right. :D And no matter what, I hope your daughter makes whatever her dream team is!! :)

Just wanted to say that I LOVE being able to debate with you and have mature discussions. :) In the end, we are probably both right. :D And no matter what, I hope your daughter makes whatever her dream team is!! :)

I agree that was fun! And I hope that in the end we are both very right. Thank you McLovin that is very kind! We're talking at least a couple of years before I'll know if I was right or not but in the meantime....we'll check the box on the tryout card that says yes to......"Would you like to be considered for 2 teams" LOL

I agree that was fun! And I hope that in the end we are both very right. Thank you McLovin that is very kind! We're talking at least a couple of years before I'll know if I was right or not but in the meantime....we'll check the box on the tryout card that says yes to......"Would you like to be considered for 2 teams" LOL

I really do not think you have to stress over her making whatever team she wants to be on Missy. It's a given. And you know, it is that very concern that motivates parents to sacrifice for their kids to cheer, and if anyone should know about busting their tails for their kids it's Missy and Jeff.

Positives for Hailey crossing last season:

Double prize possibilities (2 triple crowns!)
Extra air time as a flyer
Extra strong body!
Double friends
Double squad t-shirts (have to pay though)
Double holiday parties and squad bonding events
Adapting to more than one stunt group made her a better flyer
Spent most day at the gym (this would be a negative for most, but we loved it)
2 sets of coaches to help her improve
Nothing like having an entire extra team there cheering her on when she performed with the other team
Opportunities on one team that she wouldn't have on the other (last pass, specialty basket, etc.)
DOUBLE PICTURES!! :D

Would I let her do it again? As a fill in, yes. All season? Probably not ;).

Back