All-Star New Way Of Fulling Up (easier But Still A Fullup)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

james speed came to our gym and taught it to us it was alright i guess i didnt think it was much easier than the regular full ups but its smart!

I've been working on these with my team for the past couple practices, 3 out of 4 have it pretty solid, one just started working it yesterday...after teaching full-ups the regular way for the past few years, I just think this way is so much safer. The girls don't feel as nervous going for it and if they're spinning fast enough you really shouldn't be able to tell unless you're specifically looking for it.

Couldn't the same be said for double ups? Bases moving, legs crossing, and people still think it's the greatest thing in the world and scoring wise it's not hurting anyone. The traditional way was just like a normal full up but basically regrabbing at the end.

Yep, one of my friends has a video of it on fb.

Saw this thread, and used this grip our next practice for our jr 4 team that has been working full ups since last year. and with this grip we had 8 out of 8 full ups hit with in mins of teaching it. I also sent it to a company to review and told me it was completely legal and considered a full up and as long as they hit and are clean they wouldnt be scored any different.

Did it tonight at stunt class. Um...It's literally stupid easy, and it looks so clean. The flyers were like "I didn't do anything...". The only bummer is, full up immediates can't really be done that way.
theres a way to do it to immediate skills I do them with my kids in my flyer class...Ill check grips and let you know...its not exactly the same but its super similar

tonight was the first time that we tried this with all 5 of our level 4 groups.
3 groups think its easier
1 group is fine either way
1 group was getting stuck and can pretty much hit the normal (they get stuck at 3/4and then finish it)

have any of you had groups that get stuck facing backwards at about prep level doing this grip? The bases are saying that it feels like the feet are getting stuck on something, but they are doing the same grip as the rest of them. the flyer has bigger feet than the other flyers and perhaps the base holding the right foot is keeping it in too close to her causing the left foot to get caught on her.

2 parts that I don't like about it is taking the time to get the grip and it finishes with the feet a little apart rather than in a platform.

2 things I like about it are that it has a good grip every time it hits and it is more savable when it doesn't hit

have any of you had groups that get stuck facing backwards at about prep level doing this grip? The bases are saying that it feels like the feet are getting stuck on something, but they are doing the same grip as the rest of them. the flyer has bigger feet than the other flyers and perhaps the base holding the right foot is keeping it in too close to her causing the left foot to get caught on her.

I noticed that too, so what I told my flyers to do is just kind of lock out for the first half of the turn but when she gets around to the back is when she needs to start turning herself.

Curious how many have tried the new way of fulling up I just saw. It is quite fantastic and makes the skill markedly easier while still meeting all the requirements I have seen for a fullup to get full credit.

The flyer loads in and the side (some of you may know her as the main... lets just say the traditional spinner of the fullup) has their normal grip. The difference is the left foot crosses in front of the right foot and the main (again some of you may refer to her as the side but the base who traditionally had to let go of the foot) reaches around behind the right to grab the left heal. By doing this grip the flyer never loses contact with either base. The level of ease at which I saw someone hit a fullup with this skill is quite amazing (and a 1 1/2 up as well).

How many people have tried it?

My Jr 5 tried a version of it last year. We competed it, and they hit. Not flawlessly, but still way better then the regular ones wouldhave hit. The fliers just don't need as much control since they are never released.

See this is what I am not sure about... Many people here have stated this grip is easier since the flyer is "never released"... but weren't the flyers never released in the traditional grip in the first place? The main base would maintain contact with the flyers foot with their right hand the entire rotation, yes? Please correct me if I am wrong :)

We started using it again. Mainly bc it's save-able even if it's not perfect.

^ you're correct it was never fully released. Just the secondary released where in the new grip no one releases.

See this is what I am not sure about... Many people here have stated this grip is easier since the flyer is "never released"... but weren't the flyers never released in the traditional grip in the first place? The main base would maintain contact with the flyers foot with their right hand the entire rotation, yes? Please correct me if I am wrong :)

You are right, but traditionally the side base lets go of the flyer's left foot for the turn, which is the "release" everyone is referring to.

I tried this new grip with my team after seeing this thread and they went from a team with 1 of 5 groups hitting fullups to 5 of 5 groups hitting fullups in two practices. Talk about a turnaround! They were SO excited. From my perspective, there are three reasons why this grip is so much easier:

1. Both bases maintain contact at all times. Left foot is no longer released which eliminates hitting with feet too wide or a missed catch resulting in the stunt dropping.

2. Flyer doesn't have to do as much work to make the 360 turn. Both bases are now turning both feet, so flyers can pretty much ride straight up and just give in to the turn being initiated by the bases. Eliminates flyers going haywire on the way around because they can push straight and ride straight without thinking as much about the turn.

3. Equal weight distribution. Easier for main base to lock out at the top since there is no longer a moment during which they're bearing all the weight. Flyer is no longer stomping on the side base when she comes around. Makes it easier on the flyer too because she isn't worrying about too much weight on one side or the other at any time.

I am having issues with my fliers who have larger thigh muscles. Their legs don't necessarily cross as easy as the others who don't have the muscles. But I have 2 groups who absolutely love this new way!

Back