All-Star Rays Rumors Questions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It seems that when they don't wear tank tops or t shirts in the heat, the sweat causes slips and slides of sweaty body parts. Most I think would choose to wear tshirts just to soak up the sweat.

[quote="cheerinfo, post: 384356"]I would not suggest practicing at all if the temperature is 100-105. I know at WC they closed in previous summers when it got TOO hot. And as far as the difference in wearing a sports bra as opposed to a longer thin tank in 90 degree weather...one is really not going to be THAT much cooler than the other. So the heat is not really a deciding factor IMO. I just think covering up when you are a teenage girl in a facility where there are many men on staff is appropriate. Not saying if you wear a sports bra, it is wrong, but the temperature does not have any bearing on why the kids at Rays wear tanks or t-shirts....at least I don't think so. I believe it is more of just personal preference on the part of the owner and director. I am sure King can correct me if I am wrong on that.[/quote]

i'm not sure where you're from, but here in SC/GA area.. 100-105 is a completely normal summer temperature, and at least in my gym, the air on full blast doesn't ever feel like a difference! All we can do is give water breaks often. if we closed at those temperatures we would never practice! also add in the disgusting humidity.. :/. and as an athlete i feel that sports bras DO make a difference compared to a t-shirt or tank top,and ACX encourages them because of the heat.

In a world with so many male coaches and so many female underage athletes having them require to wear a shirt seems, to us, just like a smart thing. It can prevent the image or perception of anything happening. Think of it as protection or insurance for us to make sure our image matches how on the up we really are.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

We call ours the fish bowl, haha.

And for the AC it is all what you are used to. I bet 85 up north would cause heat strokes!

85 up here is pretty bad, but wait until winter comes around & we'll see who's complaining lol. it's only bad when your working out in 85 degree weather because in ohio the weather never stays the same in the same day. Your gym must stay pretty cool? i never see any big windows or garage doors, i have seen fans though.

You have over 700 athletes. When people ask for late tryouts, do you usually accept? I know teams like Cheer Athletics had 700 tryout this year and they couldn't let anyone else tryout, that's why I'm wondering.

We aren't quite 700, but still pretty big. When people do late tryouts if we have space we will accept them. If someone wants to tryout late and there is no space they can take a tumbling class or 'possibly' be an alternate on a team in case something happens. In my experience 99% of the time an alternate always gets put in because someone has to quite or get hurt.

Gosh I keep thinking of new questions!!! SO, Ive noticed that Stingrays don't generally do tick tocks....is that just a "risk is less than reward" situation or is that just a coincidence?

Gosh I keep thinking of new questions!!! SO, Ive noticed that Stingrays don't generally do tick tocks....is that just a "risk is less than reward" situation or is that just a coincidence?

Smoke did them last year year, but I think that was the first time a Rays team has done tick tocks. They are a difficult skill that just takes different timing than a fullup and we had just not put any time into teaching them. I think we will probably explore more and different varieties of tick tocks in the coming years.

Smoke did them last year year, but I think that was the first time a Rays team has done tick tocks. They are a difficult skill that just takes different timing than a fullup and we had just not put any time into teaching them. I think we will probably explore more and different varieties of tick tocks in the coming years.

Green also competed High to High's from Cheersport until the end of the season :D.

Green also competed High to High's from Cheersport until the end of the season :D.

Right. Who's a bad Rays coach and has two thumbs? This guy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

How do you deal with athletes not coming to practice (in the summer and during comp. season) and not letting the coaches know where they are/if they're going to be out?

How do you deal with athletes not coming to practice (in the summer and during comp. season) and not letting the coaches know where they are/if they're going to be out?

We are actually pretty strict about this. During the summer it is a bit more lenient because of summer vacations in general, but there is only a set amount of practices anyone is allowed to miss. If it is too difficult to commit to the team for mandatory practices we would probably ask them to leave our program (it is in the packet they sign that practices are mandatory). This is done because cheerleading isn't a substitute sport. When one girl is missing entire sections of the routine are not able to be practice if we were to keep that athlete in.

As for athletes not informing us they will not be at practice I am sure the first time we would contact the athlete, make sure they are physically ok (I have had athletes in accidents before on the way to practice.. NOT FUN), and find out why they are not there. After the first time I would probably assume the athlete quit, and start repositioning the routine or look for a new person.

And of course sickness, accidents, deaths in the family, all that type of stuff is taken into consideration.

We are actually pretty strict about this. During the summer it is a bit more lenient because of summer vacations in general, but there is only a set amount of practices anyone is allowed to miss. If it is too difficult to commit to the team for mandatory practices we would probably ask them to leave our program (it is in the packet they sign that practices are mandatory). This is done because cheerleading isn't a substitute sport. When one girl is missing entire sections of the routine are not able to be practice if we were to keep that athlete in.

As for athletes not informing us they will not be at practice I am sure the first time we would contact the athlete, make sure they are physically ok (I have had athletes in accidents before on the way to practice.. NOT FUN), and find out why they are not there. After the first time I would probably assume the athlete quit, and start repositioning the routine or look for a new person.

And of course sickness, accidents, deaths in the family, all that type of stuff is taken into consideration.
This is pretty much how my gym does it, and i like how it's handled!

Latest posts

Back