All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I had to guess, I'd say black shorts on the left is the backspot (or becomes the backspot before it's over), and her other hand is on the flyers rear. And the one that we only see their hands is another base. But like I said, that's a guess.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

No, the bases stay in the same spot. Main base grabs the toes of both feet and secondary grabs both heels and the flyer crosses her feet. The hand holding the foot on the other side of you is supposed to be turned around(? I don't know how to explain it) and the flyer goes up you let go of the foot that was closest to you and grab the other foot as it comes around.

But judges don't care if the "look" is lost.... They care about the hip rotation of the flyer which is still a full turn. Until they change the way they judge rotation, it will count.

SAFETY judges only care about the hip rotation of the flyer. Panel judges, the ones who do the scoring, can look at all kinds of things, including the technique of the full up.

No, the bases stay in the same spot. Main base grabs the toes of both feet and secondary grabs both heels and the flyer crosses her feet. The hand holding the foot on the other side of you is supposed to be turned around(? I don't know how to explain it) and the flyer goes up you let go of the foot that was closest to you and grab the other foot as it comes around.

Do you have a video of the way your gym does this?

There was a time back in the day that coed toss fulls were done to the left until they realised that a toss full awesome to the right made it easier to catch and more predictable. So everyone learnt to spin the other way. Do judges think it's less of a full up because the base technically catches the flyer facing the back and rotates her the the last half the the front? Nope.

Innovation isn't always a bad thing. And it usually happens for a reason.

I don't know. I like that there are easier entrance level grips for full ups but they don't give me the same look and feel. I mean, a reagular full up that spins fast and boom is caught at the top... that's just something I really, really love. With the new techniques the "twist-boom" factor is getting lost.
I'd love to teach these new grips to our juniors but me personally I'd much rather learn to base stunts the harder way, if it makes them more impressive. Just as I dream of throwing a free double up, for example.
Using easier grips as stepping stones is wonderfull, replacing harder (and better looking) techniques alltogether would be a shame. But maybe I just haven't yet seen a video of the "new" full up technique that really executes it perfectly.

This is a normal full up grip. Its the cross legged one. The one in the video is different than that. The way you do it is probably the second common one. (besides the full around type one)

Yes the execution is poor, but even with great execution you can always tell that it is not a "real" fullup its just slower. I like to stick to regular fullups because i like the look a whole lot more but if you got groups who struggle with the regular fullup why not do this one as it counts the exact same for the judges

So if I put my flyer in a cupie and the entire group rotates around, did we just do a high to high full up? The hips of the flyer made a full turn? At some point its no longer a full up.

It kills me that everyone is trying to find an "easy" way to full/double up instead of doing the original way (no bases move, flyers don't cross legs). I fell that people are putting more effort into coming up with an "easier" way than they would just practicing the old way. I'm al for making things easier with minor changes, but a full/double-up isn't supposed to be easy that's why they're level 4+ skills (to the top). Just my two cents; fell free to argue, ignore, like, or hate.

yes!!! If your team is just not ready and strong enough to do it. Just don't do it and work harder on getting your basics perfect. it works on my nerves when teams are trying level 5/6 stunts and brag about it while not even being able to put up a steady prep. I love a well excecuted full up, it takes time and practice to get it. I'm ok with searching new techniques and finding easier ways. But I'm getting the idea there are more fake full ups as fake handbags these days!

I don't mind the crossed feet full up - that's what we're trying - as the flyer still does a full rotation. We're doing it to two feet at the moment though.

CK x

I don't mind the crossed feet full up - that's what we're trying - as the flyer still does a full rotation. We're doing it to two feet at the moment though.
CK x
Most of the full ups I see anymore are loaded with their feet crossed. IMO, those can be executed quickly and still have the "wow" factor. However, I saw some mighty slow, Chinese fire drill lookin' full ups last year.

Ok guys I love learning about cheer for my daughter but I'm not as up on stunting as I am tumbling.

I don't think I ever seen a full up the feet weren't crossed in?

Unless this is one

It's at like 1:02. But is that still called a full up?? Because well they are already up??

Every time I see them from the squish or whatever the feet are crossed. People can do them from squish without crossing their feet?? I haven't seen it can someone show me.

And also tell me if what I posted is a full up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok guys I love learning about cheer for my daughter but I'm not as up on stunting as I am tumbling.

I don't think I ever seen a full up the feet weren't crossed in?

Unless this is one

It's at like 1:02. But is that still called a full up?? Because well they are already up??

Every time I see them from the squish or whatever the feet are crossed. People can do them from squish without crossing their feet?? I haven't seen it can someone show me.

And also tell me if what I posted is a full up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would just be considered a full around since they were already up and returned to their original position. This crossed footed full up didn't really gain popularity until probably last season. I try to find some videos of the alternate ways. The grip difference in the "old school" way is the main base flips their hand on the flyers toe so their fingers of their right hand are pointing back at them. They keep contact with the toe and spin the foot that way. It goes much faster because pretty much everyone in the group lets go during the spin except for the main base.

Last edited:
Back