All-Star Senior Elite At The Democrat National Convention?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I disagree. Whether CEA is a supporter of Obama or not...their presence at the convention conveys their support. Politics and cheer is not a good mix. Politics almost always divides a group not a positive thought in a community that can be polarized on so many cheer issues...ADD Politics and you are asking for trouble. It is inappropriate.

When I first heard about this, I was inclined to agree with you. However, the more I though about it, the more I found myself unable to see the political charge and/or inappropriateness of SE's presence at this event. Although I'm sure many of the girls are indeed interested and knowledgeable about politics, almost all of them are minors and can not vote, which takes away the implication that their presence at the DNC equals political support for the democratic ticket.

I suppose one could argue that it seems like the CEA program is revealing their political position, but again, I can't really see the validity in this. Senior Elite was invited to perform, and the purpose (as stated by Courtney) is to showcase North Carolina's athletic talent. I really believe that this is less about any political stance and more about CEA representing North Carolina to the nation and celebrating their accomplishments.

I can definitely see how people's initial reaction would be to consider this inappropriate, and you are right that politics is a polarizing issue and should not be mixed with athletics. However, I think the only way CEA's performance at this event will become political and/or polarizing is if people continue reading too much into it.

This is a huge opportunity for CEA to be nationally recognized and an amazing way for the girls of SE to celebrate their win. I truly believe that any gym would take advantage of a chance like this and don't see anything inappropriate about it.

Ummmm ITS A POLITICAL EVENT!! just by attending you are being political! Its pretty inappropriate. IF this was a rally for the KKK would it be ok to attend? Its just another case of publicity for SE at any cost. lets see how much "national" attention they get. Probs get their picture in the local paper which is all they want.

Ummmm ITS A POLITICAL EVENT!! just by attending you are being political! Its pretty inappropriate. IF this was a rally for the KKK would it be ok to attend? Its just another case of publicity for SE at any cost. lets see how much "national" attention they get. Probs get their picture in the local paper which is all they want.

I think comparing this to performing for the KKK is a little ridiculous. We are not talking about an infamous, murderous hate group here. I understand there are differing opinions here, but c'mon.....

I think comparing this to performing for the KKK is a little ridiculous. We are not talking about an infamous, murderous hate group here. I understand there are differing opinions here, but c'mon.....
The funny thing is the KKK actually came to mind with regards to all the hoopla over whether this performance was or was not a political statement and I decided not to go there.

I don't think CEA is being political. I do think it's just for publicity, which isn't a bad thing. BUT, I do believe, being a political event, you're "endorsing" the Presidents/Democratic agenda, just as if you'd attend a KKK event for publicity.

Comparing it to the KKK? Quite a little stretch, I agree. But if you don't believe in the views or agenda of something or someone, you should not be attending, no matter what your purpose is.

I don't think CEA is being political. I do think it's just for publicity, which isn't a bad thing. BUT, I do believe, being a political event, you're "endorsing" the Presidents/Democratic agenda, just as if you'd attend a KKK event for publicity.

Comparing it to the KKK? Quite a little stretch, I agree. But if you don't believe in the views or agenda of something or someone, you should not be attending, no matter what your purpose is.

I can see your point. Usually I would say the same. I guess, for me, since it's a team of young high-school age athletes, I don't feel like I can hold them to a political standard such as not attending if their personal beliefs don't align. We were all teenagers once, and I think we can agree that for those girls it's probably just great to be able to perform together one more time and keep celebrating their win. But, again, I can see both sides.

You are probably right it might be the second one BUT their presence conveys support and that is the bottom line. My oldest daughter has strangely been a staunch republican supporter since she was 12. She would not have been able to bring herself to be a part of this...she is pretty extreme and most kids probably don't care but I bet there are many parents who do care and may feel put on the spot to comply.

I am just saying I do not think this is as innocuous as it sounds. I am sure there are parents and children who might not see this as harmless and ignoring their feelings .... is wrong. The flip side is I am quite sure no one is being forced to participate but that just adds a whole new dimension to not being a team player. The whole thing just feels wrong on so many levels.

See I'm like your daughter but it was the 08' elections. So I was 10. But I sorta support this since I see where CEA is coming from.

I can't with this thread. Why can't people just say congratulations and move on, I really do feel if this were a different team people would not be coming to such dramatic conclusions. They were asked to perform at a prestigious event in order to showcase their athletic abilities, it's not like they were asked to come praise Obama on a microphone in front of the entire nation. They were simply asked to perform because they won Worlds and they represent the state of North Carolina, that's all. I'm sure if parents have that much of a problem with it, they can pull their kid out. But I don't see Cheer Extreme falling apart anytime soon just because of this.

Even if they were promoting Obama---who cares? I may be mistaken but aren't there religious gyms out there? So what if they want to show their political views? (which I highly doubt they are) I don't think any parent is going to give a rats bottom if their child was given the opportunity to perform for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Stop looking so far into things and be happy for them. (And just because se is my favorite team doesn't mean that's why I agree completley. Hense the religious gym reference)

Congratulations! I don't think CEA will fall apart, nor do I care that it's because the gym is CEA, but I also don't see this as a prestigious event. If you attend a "politically charged" event, you have to accept the possible criticism. If any other gym from the area were attending, I'd feel the same.

Even if they were promoting Obama---who cares? I may be mistaken but aren't there religious gyms out there? So what if they want to show their political views? (which I highly doubt they are) I don't think any parent is going to give a rats bottom if their child was given the opportunity to perform for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Stop looking so far into things and be happy for them. (And just because se is my favorite team doesn't mean that's why I agree completley. Hense the religious gym reference)
If I were a parent, I would give a "rats asssss".

Back