Senior Level 6?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So obviously, yall aren't Sr 6 fans, but why would it be so unsafe? Cheerleaders get better and better, younger and younger. In 10-15 years, there are going to be some insane athletes out there who grew up doing all this, and started at a much younger age.
There's going to have to be progression in levels to accomodate the rapid progression in skill.

This is what I was thinking. I mean we've got 8 year olds throwing doubles. What are they going to do for the next 9 years waiting until they're old enough for L6? As Allstar gains in popularity, and more and more kids get involved in it, we'd have to expect the skills to go up. In 10 years, how many kids will be on your senior teams that have been throwing doubles for 5+ years? Wouldn't you want them to have a way to expand that skill set?

I think it would have been fun to back that, maybe a little scary(with elbows going around that many times lol) but really FUN! :D

haha after a bad accident catching a double-gone-wrong last season, i still cringe everytime i catch one to this day! i'll stick to just 2 spins, you can have the 5:)

when i first listened to it, my volume was off, but i just rewatched it with my volume up. haha, thats too funny!
ps- i like how were both rockin the eye avatars!

Yes, I love your glitter! Entirely too fierce :)

There are teams that can't even consistently hit level 4 and 5 stunts so giving them the opportunity to do level 6 is a scary thought.
Not only that but you do not do level 6 stunts in school cheer until college so save it for teams with college age athletes. There are scary enough level 6 teams with adults I could imagine the things that would be tried throwing around 12 year olds.

The 2 1/2 high pyramids and flipping baskets really require a level of maturity that should be left for the adults. Its not the skills themselves...yes, there are many amazing level 5 athletes that could do them...its the split-second decision making and trust of all teammates and understanding of protecting that top person AT ALL COSTS. Its a complete disregard for self-preservation as a base (and I suppose, as a top) that I would not like to mix with teenage hormones and changing bodies/minds. Also, I'm sure there are legal issues that could arise (*I'm about to word this poorly)--an 18-year-old can legally make all decisions regarding themselves. If I'm 18 and decide to allow 4 people to throw me 15 feet in the air while I flip upside-down, and they don't catch me and I break my neck--well, sucks for me, but legally, I can make that decision. If I'm 15, that decision, legally, is made by my coach. It doesn't matter if I think I am ready or not at 15.

And THEN, there's always the issue that we see with those "level 5" teams--that have NO BUSINESS being level 5...or even 4 sometimes. Can you see if these same teams were allowed to be "level 6"? AH no thank you! I remember those old levels, and seeing a senior "elite" team--who should not have been in that division. I think I closed my eyes and prayed for those poor kids about 15 seconds into the routine.

The 2 1/2 high pyramids and flipping baskets really require a level of maturity that should be left for the adults. Its not the skills themselves...yes, there are many amazing level 5 athletes that could do them...its the split-second decision making and trust of all teammates and understanding of protecting that top person AT ALL COSTS. Its a complete disregard for self-preservation as a base (and I suppose, as a top) that I would not like to mix with teenage hormones and changing bodies/minds.

You know, I've always wondered, why you guys are allowed to throw hideous tumbling skills and yet are not allowed to throw "simple" backtuck basket. But then again, tumbling isn't strong over here and it's usually (and especially in my team) all about the stunts.
While watching american lv. 5 teams, I simply forget that these are teenagers! In my team the youngest person is 16 and the oldest I think 35. :D I've been basing for years now and I experienced myself that it takes A LOT of practice to develop that ability to make split-second decisions and literally throw yourself under your flyer at all costs. It's just not something that comes natural (usually, when something comes flying at you, you duck away!).

So, to me, a basket backtuck really is easy to base. I think I've based every possible outcome, from flying meters backwards to flyers throwing themselves forwards or sideways (almost) over the bases or just plain stopping the rotation in the middle and coming down head first (just had to catch a freaked out layout last weekend).
It is scary as hell, come to think of it. And I wouldn't want to see our junior team doing it (age 12-16).

So thanks for giving me something to think about! :D

The 2 1/2 high pyramids and flipping baskets really require a level of maturity that should be left for the adults. Its not the skills themselves...yes, there are many amazing level 5 athletes that could do them...its the split-second decision making and trust of all teammates and understanding of protecting that top person AT ALL COSTS. Its a complete disregard for self-preservation as a base (and I suppose, as a top) that I would not like to mix with teenage hormones and changing bodies/minds.

SHIMMY SHIMMY SHIMMY SHIMMY SHIMMY times infinity plus 1. THIS is why those skills are restricted to certain age groups. It has nothing to do with the physical ability to do the skill, but the emotional maturity of those performing the skill to understand how important it is to keep safety #1.

Oh, and we don't need the crappy coaches who have no clue thinking they can throw together a level 6 team.

Back