Senior Level 6?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just an FYI. This did exist in the past. There used to be
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and then for 2 years there was Elite.
You were allowed to do flipping baskets, and 2.5 high pyramids etc. I think it was great and I would love to see more of it.

..Correction, it is only great with the right coaches. Coaches who have never instructed this level have no business fielding a level 6 team.
This is correct, I actually coached one of these teams I think it was 2000-2001 season. At the time I was very excited at the possibilities, looking back it was a HORRIBLE idea. The kids on that team were extremely talented and the coaching staff did a good job of keeping the routine safe and the routine within their abilities. 2 1/2 pyramids with 14 year olds is just NUTZ, again we weren't just doing walk up 2-2-1's we were doing pitch flat backs and double dismounts, again within their grasp, just looking back they would have been an awesome Level 5 team but with the release of a new division we were looking to "get a head". Now for baskets, your not just talking back tuck baskets, level 6 includes flipping kick doubles. Fliers may be able to do these skills but throwing and catching these skills is where the danger lies, its not the "perfectly" executed skills that are the issue, it's the LEARNING these skills that is EXTREMELY dangerous, heck ask any TOP college coach and they will tell you the same thing. And I'll wrap this up by adding, what happens when you need to replace an athlete? Now you have this level 6 routine that you have been working on for 5-6 months and you have to throw a non-trained kid into a routine and say "catch that switch kick double basket and throw this full up flat back and catch the double dismount". I'm sorry but level 6 should stay college age forever! I will say that I think Rewinds should be legal level 5, IMO safer than 1 1/2 ups (if taught correctly, which again is another animal)

Just like level 6 was once a senior age division, double flipping skills were once allowed and here is the issue and why I believe they are now outlawed. Take the "new gym" that wants to hang with the gym down the street that has 5 double backs, all of a sudden coach wants to compete so she doesn't lose kids and she says "sure go for it". My heart stops just thinking of it! I would love for someone to document EVERY double full that is competed at worlds this year and chart how many were executed properly. Executing a double full wrong can tear your ACL, executing a double back wrong can break your neck, neither sounds fun however once sounds dramatically worse than the other.

! I would love for someone to document EVERY double full that is competed at worlds this year and chart how many were executed properly. Executing a double full wrong can tear your ACL, executing a double back wrong can break your neck, neither sounds fun however once sounds dramatically worse than the other.
I think that would be an interesting exercise. I would love to do it. I won't do it on finals for the top ten because I want to actually enjoy them, but I'll do it on Saturday for one division (obviously i'll make friends help. and then i'll make a fun chart.

I'll also need help breaking it into categories. Perhaps Awful, mediocre, and correct

I think that would be an interesting exercise. I would love to do it. I won't do it on finals for the top ten because I want to actually enjoy them, but I'll do it on Saturday for one division (obviously i'll make friends help. and then i'll make a fun chart.

I'll also need help breaking it into categories. Perhaps Awful, mediocre, and correct

or pretty, pretty bad and pretty scary :)

I think ICU (or USASF? But I doubt it) was contemplating a level 7 at one point a few years ago. They had level 7 pins made and everything for Worlds.

Back flip baskets are not illegal because they are difficult to perform. They are illegal because they are dangerous. Those are not the same thing.

Back flip baskets are not illegal because they are difficult to perform. They are illegal because they are dangerous. Those are not the same thing.

True story. First time I did a back tuck toss it was pretty much perfect. Second time I stopped flipping while I was upside down and came down that way. Fortunately my bases were able to catch me, but that's a recipe for a broken neck.

Plus of course, once you start adding twists to it, it usually takes a while before the flyer gets her feet through to finish the rotation.

As a backspot trying to train a new top to do back tucks can sometimes be rather scary, i don't like to let tops fall but i've def been kicked in the nose quite a few times.

I think having the maturity to not panic upside down and let your bases catch you comes with age too.

Back