All-Star Should teams recieve point deduction for raunchy dance sections?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 30, 2010
I've spent time reveiwing some videos of Cheersport,NCA and even Worlds and noticed that a lot of BIGand small gyms have some suggestive Dance moves.Teams in the age of Youth up to Senior. Since people are SO TOUCHY about videos being posted (When they really shouldnt because if you put it in your routine or "CURSE"in front of an audience where there is a mic, it becomes public knowledge!I digress :)) I won't post them.

But should teams recieve points deducted for "popping" or "semi-thrusting" or even bending over?

I feel like so many dance moves can be considered "sexual" when they aren't truly meant to be. I don't think this should happen, but instead coaches and choreographers should keep it in mind while making routines.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

first id like to say you shouldnt be so about people who complained about you posting that video about ellenwood. you dont cheer for ellenwood so therefore you didnt know who was actually cursing. you assumed it was the coaches & you were criticizing before you knew all the facts. be upset w/ yourself.

anyway, i think judges should deduct dance points from dances that are too seductive or raunchy! all yr i hated & still hate the part in ga coed's dance when the center girl bent over towards the crowd. ugh! it even looked like she pulled her skirt up for it but thats my opinion.. there was also some move that cheer savannah's candy girls did in their dance this yr that i didnt like. sadly, some judges like that kind of stuff. im sure judges who dont like inappropriate dancing score the dance low & might even write a note or two about it.

i dont think there is anything wrong w/ popping as long as it doesnt get too freaky

yes, there should deff be deductions.
moms dont want to take their young cp to a competition and have them watch the older, and 'better' teams that have innapropriate dances.
thats just disrespectful, and when kids are younger, they get influenced easily.
if they see dances like that, then they'll start to think that's it's okay to be raunchy and whatnot to get people's attention.
and that's just not right.

Rubbing your hand down your body at the end of the routine is raunchy to me. My mom (Grandma to my CP) said it made her very uncomfortable watching.
We have to remember there are moms and dads, grandparents, etc. who see these performances. These are the people who support the sport and the cheerleaders.

I don't think there should be deductions because it is very a subjective area, but coaches and choreographers should pay attention to the fact that the audience includes others out side the cheer industry.

first id like to say you shouldnt be so bitchy about people who complained about you posting that video about ellenwood. you dont cheer for ellenwood so therefore you didnt know who was actually cursing. you assumed it was the coaches & you were criticizing before you knew all the facts. be upset w/ yourself.

anyway, i think judges should deduct dance points from dances that are too seductive or raunchy! all yr i hated & still hate the part in ga coed's dance when the center girl bent over towards the crowd. ugh! it even looked like she pulled her skirt up for it but thats my opinion.. there was also some move that cheer savannah's candy girls did in their dance this yr that i didnt like. sadly, some judges like that kind of stuff. im sure judges who dont like inappropriate dancing score the dance low & might even write a note or two about it.

i dont think there is anything wrong w/ popping as long as it doesnt get too freaky

I think I would be quite MAD if a parent was cursing that way during a competition either :(

I think it depends on the team. This is one of my favorite parts of a worlds routine this year. I don't know why but I think they pull it off. I don't think it's bad, but others might think otherwise. Remember they are an older team too.
Top Gun IOC5

.50-.54

absolutely not. it would be based too much off of opinion. you can have an older judge who is a little old school say a dance is completely raunchy and give it a 0. but then you could have the judge next to them, perhaps a little younger, give the dance a 9. i think this would just lead to more arguments.

however, a choreographer or a coach should make sure a dance is appropriate for the children who are performing it.

everyone will always have diff opinions of what is appropriate & whats not. i agree coaches & choreographers should make sure the dance is appropriate but since we are talking about teams we have seen compete these inappropriate dances it means the coaches allowed it & thought it was appropriate. even if a choreographer does put raunchy moves in a dance, the coach can change it if they dont like it. some coaches choreograph the dances themselves. imo getting points deducted would encourage the coach to change the dance & think more about the dance moves for the next year.

Back