All-Star Should teams recieve point deduction for raunchy dance sections?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Deductions, like points taken from the overall score? No. Points taken off just the dance score? yes. A deduction to me is a mistake, a fall, a hand down, stuff like that. Not dance moves that are open to interpretation on what is too sexy and what is not.

As a coach, I personally will never put suggestive dance moves in my routine. I don't care what age. Just because they are "senior age" doesn't make it more appropriate. These girls definitely have things to shake!

I think there is enough pressure as it is when dealing with their bodes/sexuality, that I will not do anything to endorse that. I feel that you should be able to do a "cheer dance" that does not include booty pops and shakes. If I score lower in my dance because of that, I'm okay with that.

I shudder when I see girls turn, bend over and shake their backsides to the crowd. Really? Can you not come up with some other move?

so now my question is...

LESS FABRIC ON THE UNIFORM..?

OR

MORE SEXY TYPE MOVES..?

so now, since some of yall dont like sr teams doing these moves what about PARENT teams? their old enough to shake what their mama gave them right?

i felt like i was clubbing with tyler.. HAYYYYY!!!! bahahahahahahahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SgD8jjkEk
I don't like to call out teams, but that was...it was 'hip-hop' I guess? But if your 'dance' is 3/4 pops and booty shakes, to me that's not a dance. That's a club scene. And I don't go to a club to watch other girls pop and shake..not my thing.

And sidenote: Free-standing release moves to a prone position? Didn't we have a discussion about that? Unless I missed something..

At cheersport in 2008, a team i was going against had some EXTREMELY suggestive dance moves... i dont think i saw the cheerleaders faces or front side of their bodies the entire dance... all i saw was their butts hanging out of tight spandex.. i dont understand how they did not get deductions.. it clearly states in the rules that there is a deduction for inappropriate dance moves.. (especially in a younger division)... im not a conservative uptight person but that dance made me uncomfortable to watch... yikes it was bad

i think that dances as described are inappropriate but as far as deductions, i dont think it would be fair. team a could get less dance deductions even though the audience thinks their dance was worse than team b with more deductions. it would be very hard to draw a line. some things look worse up close too. i think this needs to be left as a raunchy dance that leaves a bad impression will stick with the gym and their reputation as well as having the parents of the younger CP's of the gym question whether they are at the right gym. Coaches, choreographers, and even the girls should know that before they have their dance or perform it on stage. but i vote no for deductions,

so now my question is...

LESS FABRIC ON THE UNIFORM..?

OR

MORE SEXY TYPE MOVES..?

so now, since some of yall dont like sr teams doing these moves what about PARENT teams? their old enough to shake what their mama gave them right?
I started to answer that and after thinking for a minute just decided I can't. If a gym had both I think I would be finding a different gym! Most cities you can throw a rock and hit three gyms so I choose somewhere else! lol

I don't like to call out teams, but that was...it was 'hip-hop' I guess?
I'm not sure if they consider it hip hop though! The next video on youtube that popped up when watching them was their hip hop dance team. Now honestly I only watched maybe the first 5 - 10 seconds but their hip hop dance looked more like a cheer dance and their cheer dance looks like something in a hip hop dance division. Maybe the choreographer got confused and gave the teams the wrong dances? Could have taken a turn for the worse though I wasn't interested enough to keep watching.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but there were/still are some companies that do dock points on the dance section if moves are blatantly inappropriate. Right? I could have swore at least UCA had this policy if not others, or has that changed?

I will say this. A well respected squad in our area had a section in the dance where one girl layed on her back and put her legs out in a "V" and another girl stepped through her leg and grinded on it for about a full 4 count. Now I am sorry. That is NOT ok. I have also seen full on booty shaking. The kind where girls put their hands in front of their legs and just shake their backsides. Say what you want. This is not ok in cheerleading or in any sport.

so now my question is...

they are old enough to shake it... i just feel bad for their poor CP who has to claim that he/she is their parent.
jk :)

So, I hate to bring this post back again, but I just read it last Friday and then I found out on Monday from one of UA Legacy's coaches that they got a deduction this past weekend for their dance being "inappropriate." I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this, knowing that Legacy has competed multiple times this season with the same competition company and the exact same dance, never being deducted before, and that their dance has been copied by other teams a few times this season.

Here's a link to the routine from this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFUGJrZpwI

@KikiD22
WOW what a great routine for Legacy!! And I LOVE the dance!! I do not think it is inappropriate at all!

Maybe the deduction was for at 2:45? It could be argued that the choreography resembles taking a cigarette out of your mouth and stomping it out?

That's all I can see..... these ladies are super talented!! Great work!

@KikiD22
WOW what a great routine for Legacy!! And I LOVE the dance!! I do not think it is inappropriate at all!

Maybe the deduction was for at 2:45? It could be argued that the choreography resembles taking a cigarette out of your mouth and stomping it out?

That's all I can see..... these ladies are super talented!! Great work!

The coach mentioned it was something about running their hands down their bodies at some point in the dance.

Back