All-Star Should teams recieve point deduction for raunchy dance sections?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think there should be a warning on day 1 and deduction on day 2. People say you can't tell what is "raunchy", but to me you can tell. Seriously when you see half of these girls grinding the ground, that isn't suggestive.

I think there should be a warning on day 1 and deduction on day 2. People say you can't tell what is "raunchy", but to me you can tell. Seriously when you see half of these girls grinding the ground, that isn't suggestive.

That seems a fair way.
But it is hard to tell what some people class as raunchy. SOME people could find bits of orange's dance 'raunchy' but personally its not to me, it's my favourite dance ever LOL

I think there should be deductions for inappropriateness. I don't agree with day 1 warnings for anything. I think if it warrants a deduction on day 2, it does on day 1 also.

At NCA College Nationals they give deductions/warnings for dance.

One year they really cracked down on it.
I believe it was Louisville Large Coed that had a dance move where their hands were in their tops and they pumped it like it was their heart and they got a warning or deduction for it and changed for day 2.

At NCA College Nationals they give deductions/warnings for dance.

One year they really cracked down on it.
I believe it was Louisville Large Coed that had a dance move where their hands were in their tops and they pumped it like it was their heart and they got a warning or deduction for it and changed for day 2.

I was just going to mention this. At NCA College Nationals in 2005 they told Louisville that their dance was too provactive and they were scored lower on it. They said that was why Clemson was in 1st going into finals. Louisville changed their dance and won.

Unless inappropriate is defined very clearly before hand i.e.: grinding, touching etc., I don't think there should be deductions. If the judges don't like a dance because they think it is to suggestive, and it is scoring low at competitions, the gym will more than likely use the comments to change the dance to increase point value. I just think it is too subjective to leave deductions randomly up to the judges without very specific guidelines.

ACE got a deduction in 2004 when Brittany (point dancer that year) waved her skirt like a can-can dancer. Terribly tame today.

I dont think it should be a deduction based on the same thing everyone else has said deciding "raunchy" or not is very subjective.

Because the dance area is probably the most subjective of the entire routine you would have to ensure fairness for all. Themed dances, dances that reflect pop cullture or enviormental influences should all be welcome as long as it is doesnt become vulgar. But as has been said what I might see as vulgur most others may have zero problem with. As long as it was done for every competition for every program then I would have no issue with it. How many times have we seen gyms compete stunts that werent declared illlegal at some competitions but then got hit with an illegality somewhere else.

I agree with Cheerfor2....If the dance is raunchy or suggestive judges will comment and reflect their comment in the scores. It is way to subjective to make a rule book.
If you are going to allow girls to go out in barley there unis then you have to take what comes with the whole package.... the music, the coreo and the unis are really a "brand" all rolled up in one. IMO I would like to see the allstar trend to follow the "collegiate look". I think it will build more credibility to the sport. Just my opinion.... And I am a mom. I'm sure the actual kids like the unis, coreo and music and todays pop culture isn't going backwards.... It is full steem ahead!! Have any of you other parents watched music videos lately? I think they need to be given ratings!!! My 9 year old showed me the latest Lady GAGA video.... And people wonder why these kids are dressing and acting the way they do??
Now I know how my mother felt when Madonna arrived in the 80's......LOL!!!

In my opinion, a "raunchy" deduction is way to subjective and could be judged heavily for one comp and another comp not get deducted at all.

Also, where my team is from, Waynesboro, Pa (very very small town), if you did a dance or even motions that were slightly subjective people would consider your dance raunchy to put it mildly. I can remember at the beginning of the season, some of our parents felt as if our junior & senior teams dance's were VERY inappropriate (which shocked me, because they weren't at all!) But, in small towns that is always one thing you have to think about when doing choreography. If we started doing provocative moves all the time, we would take the chance of losing girls because the parents don't support it around here.

Unless inappropriate is defined very clearly before hand i.e.: grinding, touching etc., I don't think there should be deductions. If the judges don't like a dance because they think it is to suggestive, and it is scoring low at competitions, the gym will more than likely use the comments to change the dance to increase point value. I just think it is too subjective to leave deductions randomly up to the judges without very specific guidelines.

Agreed. If you could get everyones...morals, I suppose, on the same page and have a clear definition of "suggestive", then perhaps deductions could be given. Otherwise, any time that a deduction would be given, there would just be huge controversy.

Would you rather have the controversy caused by giving deductions for inappropriate dances or the controversy caused by teams performing inappropriate dances?

Agreed. If you could get everyones...morals, I suppose, on the same page and have a clear definition of "suggestive", then perhaps deductions could be given. Otherwise, any time that a deduction would be given, there would just be huge controversy.

I agree

Yep! I can almost guarantee you that if any event producer made this a deduction on their judging sheet they would have at least one team at each event arguing the deduction and it would just be a mess

Back