All-Star Should teams recieve point deduction for raunchy dance sections?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would you rather have the controversy caused by giving deductions for inappropriate dances or the controversy caused by teams performing inappropriate dances?

I've never seen/heard about much controversy about any inappropriate dances...deductions for gray areas, though, very much so.

i think that many aspects of cheerleading already can be too controversial already, cracking down and deciding what is raucnhy would just push it way too much

Honestly, if that's the team's style then let them do it. Raunchy could be a different meaning to many people. In my opinion though, if we limit moves in the dance sections, it won't be as fun to watch & it'd be a bunch of arm movements and quite boring. Deducting points because of a team's dance style doesn't seem fair to me though.

i dont think you should be deducted. fot it...
this year tho alot of teams strayed away from theat type of dance to imo...
but it's not cute when you see that stuff in a routine. esp on younger girls.

I think a lot of dance moves can look and become suggestive because of how into it athletes are. The stereotype/purpose of a point dancer is that they are into it so much and emphasize the moves to the extreme, this in turn can make what is supposed to be a harmless shimmy turn into a suggestive shimmy very easily. I mean, if it is clearly supposed to be raunchy then they should get a warning, but other than that I say let it go.

I couldnt even tell you one time that ive ever heard of someone complaining about how raunchy a teams dance is.

I feel like there should NOT be deductions. Maybe a warning. I feel like sometimes the raunchiness, if that's a word haha, gives a dance flavor! But, sometimes it goes too far, and coaches and parents should know to change it. JMO.

Why would they change it if they know they'll never get more than a warning?

I feel like there should NOT be deductions. Maybe a warning. I feel like sometimes the raunchiness, if that's a word haha, gives a dance flavor! But, sometimes it goes too far, and coaches and parents should know to change it. JMO.

I don't think that there should be deductions on dance bc there are different opinions of what is "raunchy" & what isn't. even if there would be guidlines for judges to decide whether or not to take off points,, there are still ways tht those guidlines could be taken differently from one judges point of view than anothers.

Why would they change it if they know they'll never get more than a warning?

EXACTLY! as long as nothing is done about raunchy dances, teams will continue to have raunchy dance moves! cheerleading judges arent just randomly picked. im sure they know a lot about cheerleading dances and have more than likely cheered before. i doubt judges (even if they are old) would deduct points from a dance unless it was noticeably raunchy. stuff like that is obvious. i think there would be more controversy over stunting than wheather a dance is raunchy or not.

Well essentially, your choices are:

1. Let anyone do anything they want.
2. Give deductions when judges feel that the team has "crossed the line" for family-appropriate routines.

There may be some debate about where the line should be, but to say that no team should ever receive any punishment regardless of how raunchy their dance/music is doesn't seem very wise, IMO.

THE JAM BRANDS 2009-2010 CHEER & DANCE REGULATIONS & PROCEDURES
7. All routines must be suitable for viewing by audiences of all ages. Vulgar or suggestive music or material is restricted and will result in a point deduction for each incident. Vulgar or suggestive material is defined as any movement or choreography implying something improper or indecent, appearing offensive or sexual in content, and/or relaying lewd or profane gestures, implications or lyrics. Vulgarity will be determined at the discretion of the judges and/or event directors.

I think what we're really afraid of in the backs of our minds is that somewhere along the line, it's going to be two head-to-head competitors at a major comp, and it's going to come down to the dance and the teams that loses it, got penalized for an inappropriate dance move(s). The thing is, most dances moves are grey area because so many people do have different views on what is/isn't appropriate. I think what we can agree on, is that there are moves that are inappropriate for certain age groups, and that when it's extreme, it should get penalized. Cheer IS supposed to be family-friendly, and there are ways to keep it fierce without making it awkward for people to watch. And if we want to make cheer more accepted in the sport world, the 'sexy' image (that one that always seems to get us into trouble, besides being witchy and safety issues of course) is one of those things that's going to have to be toned down.

I do not think it should be a deduction given because it would be hard to keep it consistent, however, for the overall look of the routine, the points can be lower.
But what no one is taking into consideration is how the cheerleader feels about their dance. As a cheerleader myself, I like doing the more "sexy" moves because that is the one time I can work it and get away with that stuff. I can't go to a school dance and do those moves. They are never anything so inappropriate it's bad, but it's not a dance I would do just walking around town. If the cheerleader feels comfortable doing their dance at practice, on the floor, and where ever else they perform, then let them do it, but if it is something they don't like, the coaches should take it into consideration and change it.

Back