All-Star Should teams recieve point deduction for raunchy dance sections?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I say everyone dances to born this way by Lady Gaga and the USASF sends out a list of motions that can be used (Low V, High V,etc)

If everyone would only pattern their dance moves and song choices based on what's acceptable on the Disney Channel, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Actually,this has always been one of my major peeves. I have seen some absolutely incredible dance routines with nothing suggestive at all. I don't want to see young ladies making stripper moves or slapping their posteriors. I saw one team once that flipped up their skirts as they turned to the audience - are you kidding? But my blood boils when I see the young teams do it - that is when I really want to know where the mothers are. I know parents are not to second guess coaches on virtually everything and that is as it should be, but if the routine involved some of the moves I have seen 7 and 8 year olds doing I think it is time for parents to step up and tell the coach they want the routine changed.

I dont necessarily think that there should be a deduction, but a warning would be good. At a recent comp one of my girls got a little too into the dance and REALLY popped her booty. So instead of it being a pump, she made it look like she was booty popping in a lil wayne music video. A judge wrote a note letting us no to watch the booty shaking and I told the athlete she needed to tone it down.

I think it also depends alot on the age of the athletes performing the moves. I dont want to see a little mini booty popping or excessively shimmy-ing. If its a senior girl, its a different story. Chances are they do much worse and teen dances but for the little ones I think dances should be toned down.

I think it also depends alot on the age of the athletes performing the moves. I dont want to see a little mini booty popping or excessively shimmy-ing. If its a senior girl, its a different story. Chances are they do much worse and teen dances but for the little ones I think dances should be toned down.

It Could Go Both Ways.

Yes They Should Deduct Points Because Its Inappropriate.
But Shouldnt The Coaches Know When Something Is TOO MUCH?

And No I Dont Think They Should Because When A Team Does A Raunchy/Sexual Move In A Dance It Makes You Remember Them And Also Most Dances With Certain Moves Arent Meant To Come Across That Way.
If You Take Points Off Coaches And Choreographers Are Going To Have A Hard Time Make A Dance "FUN" Or "ENTERTAINING".

I Think Coaches Should Be A Little More Cautious In Preparing Their Dances Not To How ENTERTAINING They Are But How Other People See The Dance. Some One May See It As Just Fine Where As Another See's It As Sexual. They Need To Take Into Consideration Just Because You Like The Way It Looks Does Not Mean The Judges Will.

ok if they did count for deductions every team just about wouldd have deductions i say keep it like it is
Just because 'everyone' does it doesn't mean it's ok? *cue parents with jumping off a bridge story* And I can think of two multiple world champions in the senior age group who have excellent dances that don't make me feel like I'm watching a gucci mane video..

I had a thought this morning about something else, but I think it applies here: You're not just doing this dance for the people you WANT to see it, you're also doing it for the people you DON'T..if you don't think your 'relative/friend/significant other/creepy neighbor down the street/school prinicipal/that mean girl in your 4th period math class' should see it or you don't WANT them to see it, it's probably not a good idea for you to do it.

Sorry did not read through the whole thread but I wanted to add this to the discussion so I hope it wasn't said. But in Illinois for high school cheerleading they do give deductions for certain dances. My team had a guy that we let somewhat "freestyle" in our dance for a michael jackson song and he did the turn and spin and grabbed his crotch and we received a huge deduction.

When I"m judging a comp and I see moves that are blatantly suggestive or inappropriate, yes I'll score a little lower. I'll also include in my comments "would like to see more age appropriate dance moves" so that the coaches know exactly why they received the score they did.

I say everyone dances to born this way by Lady Gaga and the USASF sends out a list of motions that can be used (Low V, High V,etc)

You joke about it, but old college told me they were specifically warned a few years ago that teams would be losing points - at least in the collegiate image section - if they used Britney Spear's If U Seek Amy.

I'm not trying to hate on a gym in particular, but the gym I've seen most guilty of this is Spirit of Tyler out of Tyler, Texas. Their dances were EXTREMELY raunchy and vulgar, more like what you would see at a night club and not a cheer dance. Everyone at the competition was talking about their dances in particular, and I personally feel that isn't something one would want to be remembered for..

Back