All-Star Should teams recieve point deduction for raunchy dance sections?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I dont necessarily think that there should be a deduction, but a warning would be good.

What good is a warning if that's all you can every receive?

parents and grandparents may think moves are inappropriate but really the judges have a much better idea on what looks right and doesnt in a routine, should leave judging up to the judges!

i dont mind it on a sr team or ioc/ioag team doing it pushing jrs.

but i wouldnt have a mini team or youth.. but thats just me!

I think a warning system would be difficult to keep track of with different event producers. If a team got a warning at Cheersport, how would Jamfest know about it, etc.?

There are a number of rules judges and event producers that try to keep track of warnings and deductions. At the last major event I worked we used that list to note routines that had issues earlier in the season to make sure they were corrected. I expect tracking will improve greatly over the next couple of seasons.

Anyone want to guess where I fall in this?

Six years ago when CP started cheer I heard that collective "gasp" from the audience when there was a suggestive move only once or twice during a competition. Now it's much more frequent!

Why a coach feels like the only options in a dance is to include sexual content is beyond me. Consistent deductions for this will stop it quickly!

Anyone want to guess where I fall in this?

Six years ago when CP started cheer I heard that collective "gasp" from the audience when there was a suggestive move only once or twice during a competition. Now it's much more frequent!

Why a coach feels like the only options in a dance is to include sexual content is beyond me. Consistent deductions for this will stop it quickly!

Unfortunately we all have become desensitized to these moments as they have become more frequent and more acccepted. I wish the gasp was still made~~ meaning people are shocked rather than just accepting the suggestive moves.

How do y'all feel about a deduction or warning for inappropriate music selection? I've heard Rihanna's "S&M" in several mixes this year and as a college student don't have a problem with the song, but wouldn't want the little ones hearing lyrics about whips and chains hahaha I think it would be extremely hard to enforce since what is acceptable or not is so subjective. I just wonder what coaches/music mixers are thinking sometimes

How do y'all feel about a deduction or warning for inappropriate music selection? I've heard Rihanna's "S&M" in several mixes this year and as a college student don't have a problem with the song, but wouldn't want the little ones hearing lyrics about whips and chains hahaha I think it would be extremely hard to enforce since what is acceptable or not is so subjective. I just wonder what coaches/music mixers are thinking sometimes

Nothing compares to the mini 1 team I saw dancing to "Stroke me, stroke me" back when my oldest was in cheer....

Nothing compares to the mini 1 team I saw dancing to "Stroke me, stroke me" back when my oldest was in cheer....

That is just plain wrong for young girls!! I'm sure the little ones didn't know the meaning of the song, but if I was a parent I would definitely be saying something to the coaches about that one. They are so impressionable at that age and I know I wouldn't want my kid in a program where that was acceptable.

I'm not trying to hate on a gym in particular, but the gym I've seen most guilty of this is Spirit of Tyler out of Tyler, Texas. Their dances were EXTREMELY raunchy and vulgar, more like what you would see at a night club and not a cheer dance. Everyone at the competition was talking about their dances in particular, and I personally feel that isn't something one would want to be remembered for..
i youtubed them just out of curiosity and WOW. seriously, i have NEVER seen a dance like that. it was just in sync hip trusts and booty pops!

cheermommarn said:
One of my friends and I coached a pop warner team our freshman year of high school. The girls were ages 6-8. We had them do a dance to a mix where the words were spoken VERY quickly. We didn't think anything of it.. we were 14. Just recently we watched the VHS tape of their competition and realized the song was REALLYYYY inappropriate for them to be dancing too. It was a song by we think is the Spice Girls and it talks about drug use & getting high. We are so lucky nobody noticed and the girls had no idea what was going on.

Back