All-Star Since When Does Jam Charge A Spectator Fee?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's a sad statistic... I go to PITT, a Division 1, Big East (well ACC next year but close enough) school and I pay less to go to Basketball/Football games than I do to get into most cheerleading competitions and no a lot of times I don't get a student discount.
Wait (off topic, I know), you have to pay to go to basketball/football games. I knew there was something about Pitt:p (I am totally kidding, don't take it offensively, I go to WVU, and I am already missing the backyard brawl)

As someone who works in the financial industry...the whole "cash only" and lack of receipts at many of these comps (for spectator fees) has raised my eyebrows many a time. Just saying...all that cash and absolutely no accountability (cash box, hand stamp, ticket taken at the door) makes me a tad suspicious of what exactly is being reported.

As someone who works in the financial industry...the whole "cash only" and lack of receipts at many of these comps (for spectator fees) has raised my eyebrows many a time. Just saying...all that cash and absolutely no accountability (cash box, hand stamp, ticket taken at the door) makes me a tad suspicious of what exactly is being reported.

At the big competitions when I am dropping $100 or so for admission (cash only), I always ask them for a receipt and a tax ID number. The looks on their faces are pretty funny actually. I apologize now for the people in line behind me, it tends to take them a little while as they scramble to find the receipt slips buried in a box somewhere. Luckily, these bigger comps tend to have several ticket windows available.

Yeah...I'm curious as to where my $6 is going to end up today.

At the big competitions when I am dropping $100 or so for admission (cash only), I always ask them for a receipt and a tax ID number. The looks on their faces are pretty funny actually. I apologize now for the people in line behind me, it tends to take them a little while as they scramble to find the receipt slips buried in a box somewhere. Luckily, these bigger comps tend to have several ticket windows available.

OMG I am totally doing this today! :D I'm going to say "Oh, that's weird. You guys have never charged before. What is it for? Can I get a receipt then?" How do you ask for the tax ID? Do you have to give a reason for asking for it?

Yeah...I'm curious as to where my $6 is going to end up today.

OMG I am totally doing this today! :D I'm going to say "Oh, that's weird. You guys have never charged before. What is it for? Can I get a receipt then?" How do you ask for the tax ID? Do you have to give a reason for asking for it?

Just ask them. Most of the time they don't have it. They will give you a contact number or email to use. Just tell them that it is important to you because you want to track you business expenses as you report everything to the IRS.;)

Here's a sad statistic... I go to PITT, a Division 1, Big East (well ACC next year but close enough) school and I pay less to go to Basketball/Football games than I do to get into most cheerleading competitions and no a lot of times I don't get a student discount.

just out of curiosity, how much do they charge you to go to basketball games? I go to Providence College (another Big East school) and we're charged $7 per men's basketball games per game or $99 for season tickets.

Wait (off topic, I know), you have to pay to go to basketball/football games. I knew there was something about Pitt:p (I am totally kidding, don't take it offensively, I go to WVU, and I am already missing the backyard brawl)
No offense taken! I love the rivalry :)

just out of curiosity, how much do they charge you to go to basketball games? I go to Providence College (another Big East school) and we're charged $7 per men's basketball games per game or $99 for season tickets.
It's all based on loyalty points and how many other sporting events you've attended... aka the more you support your school... the cheaper your tickets are. Kind of an incentive to support all the sports. So they start at $5 for like non-league nothing games and can go anywhere to $50ish or more as the season progresses. I think the most I've personally paid was $20 but I'm not a big basketball person!

I don't have any problem paying to attend a competition, because any sports/entertainment event you have an entrance fee. The problem I have is the Jam Brands haven't lowered their prices to reflect their new policy in charging spectators.

I don't have any problem paying to attend a competition, because any sports/entertainment event you have an entrance fee. The problem I have is the Jam Brands haven't lowered their prices to reflect their new policy in charging spectators.

Yeah I worded my original post wrong I think. I don't mind paying - I pay for all comps and any other sports I attend. It's more that Jam has always been such big promoters of their "Never a spectator fee" policy - its usually on EVERYTHING they advertise. So it was disappointing that they chose that avenue to gain revenue.

I have to say I'm sitting here at JamLive now and it's the smallest crowd I've ever seen at a Jam event. I walked in at the end of session 2 and got a front row seat. I've left my seat a dozen times and had no trouble getting my same seat back.

It's all based on loyalty points and how many other sporting events you've attended... aka the more you support your school... the cheaper your tickets are. Kind of an incentive to support all the sports. So they start at $5 for like non-league nothing games and can go anywhere to $50ish or more as the season progresses. I think the most I've personally paid was $20 but I'm not a big basketball person!

THAT IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA. I kinda wish we had that.

Generally the people working admissions at a competition are not at all part of the administrative staff of whatever EP is running the event. They're fundraising groups or staff who come to work at events only. If they look at you like you have two heads it's probably not because they're thinking "Oh no, they're onto us!", but more like, "I just showed up to work today, why would I know this company's tax ID number?"

Unrelated but it's crazy to me that yalls school charges you for tickets! Ours are free. You enter a lottery system online, the more games you've attended (football, basketball and baseball) the more times your name goes in. I've gotten a ticket to everything I've ever wanted to attend for all 4 years! As freshman classes get biggest some times they miss out on tickets. But by sophomore year mostly everyone is fine.

Back