All-Star The Golden Oldies... The Old Cheer Trends.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What on earth? A raised basketball court? How on earth is that safe? ( the uniforms don't bother me too much, but I don't understand the court on a stage!)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Yeah it was our auditorium and our gym. People fell off on a regular basis (and we got hit by basketballs a lot too). The edge of the court is only like 3-4 feet from the edge of the stage, so there wasn't much buffer space and obviously no space for us to cheer up there, so we sat in the front rows of the seats and stood up to cheer. . It doesn't make sense to us either - but the school is over 100 years old and it's always been like that. It had plastic seats that you had to fold down like you were at a movie theater and a balcony section. It was used for everything - PE, volleyball, basketball, plays, concerts, awards ceremonies, etc...

These bad boys..............

(bonus points if you got your Asics shoe bottoms shaved)
358140i.jpg

(they "stabilized your ankle better", right? or so you thought)
4grvqu.jpg

The rules have changed since then. But at one point we had Beginner (level 1), Novice (level 2), Intermediate (level 3), Excel (level 4) and Advanced (aka Elite, level 5). They roughly translate to those levels.

Oh god. Those were the days. I remember at a small "nationals" here when I was cheering, they combined Intermediate and Advanced. I think Tribe from Oklahoma came up and embarrassed our decent "level 3" routine. It was awful.

These bad boys..............

(bonus points if you got your Asics shoe bottoms shaved)
358140i.jpg

(they "stabilized your ankle better", right? or so you thought)
4grvqu.jpg
YES! I had to get these with the blue logo for middle school, and the high schoolers wore the black logo ones. And yes, the mat wore down the edges on mine.

Yeah it was our auditorium and our gym. People fell off on a regular basis (and we got hit by basketballs a lot too). The edge of the court is only like 3-4 feet from the edge of the stage, so there wasn't much buffer space and obviously no space for us to cheer up there, so we sat in the front rows of the seats and stood up to cheer. . It doesn't make sense to us either - but the school is over 100 years old and it's always been like that. It had plastic seats that you had to fold down like you were at a movie theater and a balcony section. It was used for everything - PE, volleyball, basketball, plays, concerts, awards ceremonies, etc...

Is it bad that I died laughing at the thought of a kid falling off of that?

Last edited:
I feel so old! I remember all of these! Old uniforms, shoes with interchangeable colours, full body suits...sew in hair pieces and if they came out it was a deduction, then later changed to if you touch it once it's out it was a deduction, and now they don't even care... Lol and when is was beginner, intermediate and advanced. Tiny, mini, pewee, youth, jr. And sr. I have a video of me doing the awful banana prep before my jump. I also flew on my opposite leg for the first couple years and I twisted the opposite way so now I can fly both ways.. And those double bounces, I remember relying on that extra time as a flyer because I didn't count I kinda just did it... I cheered on and learn 80% of my skills on a non sprung floor and at the end of our tumbling line we did the whole underlining of our chest with our arms to show off our program name.. And facials were doing all the vowels over and over again. And sparkly lips..I could go on forever I feel so old!

I feel so old! I remember all of these! Old uniforms, shoes with interchangeable colours, full body suits...sew in hair pieces and if they came out it was a deduction, then later changed to if you touch it once it's out it was a deduction, and now they don't even care... Lol and when is was beginner, intermediate and advanced. Tiny, mini, pewee, youth, jr. And sr. I have a video of me doing the awful banana prep before my jump. I also flew on my opposite leg for the first couple years and I twisted the opposite way so now I can fly both ways.. And those double bounces, I remember relying on that extra time as a flyer because I didn't count I kinda just did it... I cheered on and learn 80% of my skills on a non sprung floor and at the end of our tumbling line we did the whole underlining of our chest with our arms to show off our program name.. And facials were doing all the vowels over and over again. And sparkly lips..I could go on forever I feel so old!

What about front spots... at Worlds?

Back