All-Star The Majors By Jamfest Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Of all the gyms and event producers I know, they would be ones I would trust the MOST not to let their gym's interest affect the rankings. (It would be difficult to find a more honorable, trustworthy guy than Kevin Brubaker.) However, they choose not to because they fear the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Actually, to my knowledge, the only major event producer that allows its own gyms to compete at their own events is Varsity. While I have not seen examples of them getting favorable treatment, I am VERY surprised that more people don't get upset about the potential conflict of interest.

I think because most don't realize which gyms Varsity.

I think you probably understand that I'm not talking about a new competition company started by a single gym. That would have limited potential. I do not understand why the gym owners and staffs do not pool together and create their own series of competitions on a local, regional, national and worlds concept that crowns champions of the world in all levels and ages. They have the talent to pull it off, and I think they can pool and get the resources if everyone was given an ownership opportunity. I think they would have massive buy in to the concept. The gyms control the athletes and where they go to compete. Immense power in that fact. Just throwing stuff out. I think this model could very well get away from the entry fee and go to the spectator financed either with live or via Internet feed. A lot of potential out there running programs going to waste in my opinion.
I understand your point. However, the amount of time and effort that goes into putting on a quality nationals-level event is immense. The gym owners that could pull that off are probably unwilling or unable to devote that much time to it. If they wanted to be in the event-running business, they would likely already be doing that instead. Unfortunately, you also have the problem that gym owners are typically very suspicious of each other and their motives.

That being said, there is general dissatisfaction among the "99%" out there (the coaches and athletes) so a big change is always possible, I suppose. If events continue to increase their costs and be deliberately secretive about the scoring, then perhaps the frustration could grow to the point that your concept would become viable.

I d
Of all the gyms and event producers I know, they would be ones I would trust the MOST not to let their gym's interest affect the rankings. (It would be difficult to find a more honorable, trustworthy guy than Kevin Brubaker.) However, they choose not to because they fear the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Actually, to my knowledge, the only major event producer that allows its own gyms to compete at their own events is Varsity. While I have not seen examples of them getting favorable treatment, I am VERY surprised that more people don't get upset about the potential conflict of interest.
I do remember a few years ago RUMORS of the word "monopoly" being thrown around in regards to Varsity. That was defused/shut up pretty fast. I can only speak on a few EP/coaches for varsity and they are upstanding people that I don't think they would ever cross that line. I do also agree with you that I'd trust Kevin as well but I gain even more respect that he CHOSE to avoid a potential situation.

A lot of people have complained about it in years past (me included) but not a lot of people that are in a position to possibly influence a change about it. So most of us just shut up and let it go and chose other battles to fight, even though we still don't like it.

A lot of people have complained about it in years past (me included) but not a lot of people that are in a position to possibly influence a change about it. So most of us just shut up and let it go and chose other battles to fight, even though we still don't like it.
Do I hear "monopoly"!? Lol

I understand your point. However, the amount of time and effort that goes into putting on a quality nationals-level event is immense. The gym owners that could pull that off are probably unwilling or unable to devote that much time to it. If they wanted to be in the event-running business, they would likely already be doing that instead. Unfortunately, you also have the problem that gym owners are typically very suspicious of each other and their motives.

That being said, there is general dissatisfaction among the "99%" out there (the coaches and athletes) so a big change is always possible, I suppose. If events continue to increase their costs and be deliberately secretive about the scoring, then perhaps the frustration could grow to the point that your concept would become viable.

Makes me wonder why "we" coaches and gym owners haven't put our foot down about this- particularly the scoring. I am all for an open scoring system- at least so that all coaches and gym owners can see how each team in their division scored in every category on the scoresheet. Getting the top score only or the total score for each team isn't going to cut it. We pay so much to be there, so why can't we demand this? It seems like it's what most of us want anyways.

Makes me wonder why "we" coaches and gym owners haven't put our foot down about this- particularly the scoring. I am all for an open scoring system- at least so that all coaches and gym owners can see how each team in their division scored in every category on the scoresheet. Getting the top score only or the total score for each team isn't going to cut it. We pay so much to be there, so why can't we demand this? It seems like it's what most of us want anyways.
We absolutely can demand this. However, it's not the forward thinking people that are the problem. It's the people that think they have a secret to getting a special score OR the gym that's scared the patents will leave when they see how poorly they scored. I'm all for it! If anyone wants to see MY teams scores and breakdowns feel free to ask anytime. Also EPs are scared to show when THEY mess up.

We absolutely can demand this. However, it's not the forward thinking people that are the problem. It's the people that think they have a secret to getting a special score OR the gym that's scared the patents will leave when they see how poorly they scored. I'm all for it! If anyone wants to see MY teams scores and breakdowns feel free to ask anytime. Also EPs are scared to show when THEY mess up.

I agree about EPs not wanting to show scores when they make a mistake. We called out an EP for incorrect scoring and then were told that "all scores are final" even though the judging coordinator agreed with me that our difficulty scores for jumps and stunts were incorrect. I don't even have a problem with EPs not making scores completely public- at least release them all to coaches and then we can release them to parents if we want to.

What about having a routine summary that is turned in for each routine outlining the elements of your routine? tumbling passes, jump combos, stunt sequences, pyramid, etc. Then judges can look to your routine outline to see what elements are in the routine and ensure that they are scored accordingly. Any discrepancies between what the judge saw in the live routine and the routine summary would force the judge to review video of the live routine to make sure nothing was missed.

So I searched through the first two pages and found no actual information on this event. I don't want to read through all 17 pages of this forum.... can someone post any given information they have on this event?

So I searched through the first two pages and found no actual information on this event. I don't want to read through all 17 pages of this forum.... can someone post any given information they have on this event?
I hope you were kidding. If not, you weren't "searching" very well - the very first post in this thread has a link to the Majors' website where you can get all of the information you could want.

Well what do you want to know?

Well I read from insidecheerleading magazine that they were taking 10 teams (5 from large senior and 5 from large coed) to compete, and I read the teams attending. But what is their ultimate purpose for having 10 teams compete at a competition? What is their growth plan? If any?

Well I read from insidecheerleading magazine that they were taking 10 teams (5 from large senior and 5 from large coed) to compete, and I read the teams attending. But what is their ultimate purpose for having 10 teams compete at a competition? What is their growth plan? If any?
The winner competes at Jamfest Europe in England, I think they get some of the trip paid for but I'm not sure which parts.

EP's mess up? Nahhhh never happens..That is just another evil rumor started by whoadeedle. ;)

Seriously if there was more ownership of EP's of scoring errors, math errors, adjustments, warnings given when it could of been an illegality which could of potentially affected the outcome of an event, you would hear less griping from all gyms, regardless of size or stature. This unwillingness to be transparent drives most of the rumors and gossip of favoritism towards certain teams, programs, coaches, etc. because they wont clearly show what was done and accept the criticism if they were wrong. Without clear and credible evidence, conspiracies will always abound.

It is not just an universal scoring issue, it is a transparency issue. And when most of the major companies are tied into Varsity that is what makes people think monopoly.

Back