All-Star The Summit 2018 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This Spice - Lady Red issue reminds me of the men’s AA final during the 2004 Olympics... if you’re not familiar with the Paul Hamm and Yang Tae Young debacle, you should read-up on it.

The villain in that situation was F.I.G., but Paul Hamm, with his gold medal, was the one with the power to bring justice to the situation. Pretty sure he cursed U.S.A.’s men’s gymnastics from that point onwards, because they never won a single gold medal at the Olympics ever again.

Never thought about that, but it’s so true.

I 100% blame Varsity and only Varsity for the Senior Restricted debacle. I understand Stingrays coaches want to protect their kids and (*I hope*) while executed very, very poorly, that their stupid comments came from a place of momma bear protecting the cubs so they were a little too far on the defensive. (Momma bear-ing is one thing, that wine comment was 100% out of line no matter what.)

We're also not talking about a youth team full of 7 year olds. They're a senior team, probably all on social media and old enough to understand what people are saying and understand they didn't actually win. While I am thankfully not 14 years old and in that situation, one look at the comments makes me think I would be embarrassed to get a ring and throw "Summit Champion" in my social media bio, but that's just me...
Sammmme. All the “Summit 2018 Champs” in the bios killed me. And the arrogance “Were both good programs, we both deserved this “

It's a bad situation all around. I can't imagine if my kid "won" and everyone was super excited, taking pictures, getting rings sized, etc..And then later being told - JK - give it all back.
I feel bad for GT not getting their moment and do feel like the athletes on Spice should probably tone it down because they just have to know there's an asterisk next to that "Summit Champ" bio.

But I know my kid would be heartbroken to get excited and then be let down.

Varsity is probably so pissed that we forced transparency with @ACEDAD 's awesomeness and willingness to take one for the team and be the scapegoat if needed for sharing scores. They just threw up a tie on their website and without scores no one would ever really know or be able to question them.

Hey Varsity, if you did live, real-time scoring like every other sport you wouldn't have messed up announcing placements in the first place ;)

My two cents on the restricted disaster: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the true placements come out after spice had already gotten sized for rings, etc? I've seen a lot of people attacking stingrays and others for tweets/instagram posts saying they were champions that were posted before the correction was made. Also the coaches at rays are some of the sweetest and most passionate people I know. I clearly don't follow the right people on twitter because I haven't seen any nasty tweets from spice coaches or other coaches at the gym. I will say if there are rude tweets/people making rude comments that is 1000% not excusable whether it is coming from athletes, parents, or coaches. Varsity put everyone in a bad situation all around and I really do feel for Lady Red. They didn't get their moment and as a former summit winner I know how exciting that time is. I just don't think it's fair for the people demonizing rays as a whole for this incident when most (obviously not all) of the blame falls on Varsity.

I 100% blame Varsity and only Varsity for the Senior Restricted debacle. I understand Stingrays coaches want to protect their kids and (*I hope*) while executed very, very poorly, that their stupid comments came from a place of momma bear protecting the cubs so they were a little too far on the defensive. (Momma bear-ing is one thing, that wine comment was 100% out of line no matter what.)

We're also not talking about a youth team full of 7 year olds. They're a senior team, probably all on social media and old enough to understand what people are saying and understand they didn't actually win. While I am thankfully not 14 years old and in that situation, one look at the comments makes me think I would be embarrassed to get a ring and throw "Summit Champion" in my social media bio, but that's just me...

I’m actually shocked at the responses from Stingray athletes, coaches and former coaches (ie Brett Lane). As well as some responses from others (edited because he apologized).

If you want to say “it wasn’t our fault”, fine. I agree. But crowing that they are champions? And then pulling out the “children” defense when getting called out? Inexcusable.

Last edited:
This Spice - Lady Red issue reminds me of the men’s AA final during the 2004 Olympics... if you’re not familiar with the Paul Hamm and Yang Tae Young debacle, you should read-up on it.

The villain in that situation was F.I.G., but Paul Hamm, with his gold medal, was the one with the power to bring justice to the situation. Pretty sure he cursed U.S.A.’s men’s gymnastics from that point onwards, because they never won a single gold medal at the Olympics ever again.
i remember the whole hoopla when it came to paul hamm, i felt really bad for the guy, everyone said he was a horrible person and didnt deserve anything, his career was never the same after that.

as far as summit, i get they dont want to hurt young kids and take something that means a lot, but to be announced as co champions is a sad attempt, and for a gym to continue to run with it all over social media is even sadder. i mean can you imagine the uproar if they did this at worlds..... there would be heads rolling.

it also reminds me of the top gun coed elite bid thing that happened a few years ago.

My two cents on the restricted disaster: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the true placements come out after spice had already gotten sized for rings, etc? I've seen a lot of people attacking stingrays and others for tweets/instagram posts saying they were champions that were posted before the correction was made. Also the coaches at rays are some of the sweetest and most passionate people I know. I clearly don't follow the right people on twitter because I haven't seen any nasty tweets from spice coaches or other coaches at the gym. I will say if there are rude tweets/people making rude comments that is 1000% not excusable whether it is coming from athletes, parents, or coaches. Varsity put everyone in a bad situation all around and I really do feel for Lady Red. They didn't get their moment and as a former summit winner I know how exciting that time is. I just don't think it's fair for the people demonizing rays as a whole for this incident when most (obviously not all) of the blame falls on Varsity.

I personally I more disgusted by their behavior after the information came out. You don't even have to be "following the right people" to see. All I had to do was put the team names into twitter. And there were spice girls being very mean to GT girls who were rightfully pissed that their big win (I mean a two point difference its not like it was .20) was taken away from them and a team that did not deserve it was named a co-champ instead of second. I lost respect for Rays when they continued to post about being champions after they knew that a mistake had occurred If this was my team or program, I would have taken the tweet about winning down, told Varsity to get their ish together and told the girls on the team to take all that off twitter.

Yes it was Varisty's fault but I am not impressed with Rays behavior. When they realized that Varsity made a mistake they should have taken down the tweets and told the team and coaches to stop posting on twitter about it and correct on their official page that according to the actual scores GT was the rightful winner and congratulate GT for winning first place. They know they didn't actually win. Me personally, I would be way to embarrassed to claim to be a champ or a co-champ when anyone can see that I actually got 2nd place. So yeah I lost respect for Rays.

Cali has some of the most entertaining/solid Level 1 teams I've ever seen. Especially their Senior 1 teams.

My daughter was down at Summit competing in large senior 1 last year. She competed against 2 Cali teams and they were so amazing. Heck.....they did so many creative things that I would have never thought were legal in level 1. They were incredible!

i remember the whole hoopla when it came to paul hamm, i felt really bad for the guy, everyone said he was a horrible person and didnt deserve anything, his career was never the same after that.

as far as summit, i get they dont want to hurt young kids and take something that means a lot, but to be announced as co champions is a sad attempt, and for a gym to continue to run with it all over social media is even sadder. i mean can you imagine the uproar if they did this at worlds..... there would be heads rolling.

it also reminds me of the top gun coed elite bid thing that happened a few years ago.

The bid at BATB? If we are talking about the same year I applaud TG for doing the classy thing and giving the bid away even if the same team threw unnecessary shade to them after worlds.

What was the top gun/coed elite bid thing? I wasn't around for all of that.

Coed Elite won the competition but the EP gave the bid to TGLC. Victor and Kristen felt it wasn't right and gave the bid to CEA.
Oh wow. But see that is how you handle a situation like this. I am sure the TGLC athletes were disappointed but they also saw their coaches setting an amazing example of truth, fairness, and sportsmanship. I always knew that TGLC was a classy program. It's too bad that Rays cannot follow their example.

Back