All-Star Thoughts On Athletes Drinking 5 Hour Energy Drinks Before Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 26, 2015
I know a few athletes that drink energy drinks before practice, like Red Bull, 5 Hour Energy, etc. I personally don't think it's too bad, but just wondering what parents, coaches, and other athletes thought.

The first and last time I drank one was to have enough energy to study all night for exams. I felt like it did absolutely nothing for me. I'm pretty sure I still fell dead asleep. I could've drank a lot more better tasting things to get no results.

I personally do not like the idea of drinking them prior to practice.. A side effect of them is increased heart rate. Add that to a naturally increased rate from physical exertion and you have the recipe for disaster.

**of course we really won, the judges must have switched scoresheets. #conspiracytheory**

My cps only drank water for practice and an occasional Gatorade when it was really hot. My oldest pours sweat and I was worried at a few games.

Low-fat or non-fat chocolate milk is a much better for you option.

Those things are dangerous and, if by chance you have a undiagnosed heart condition, they can be deadly. Please, don't drink that stuff!

Totally against them. Many even list not suitable for minors on their label due to possible health risks mentioned above. Kids should have no problems getting though a practice with enough sleep, proper nutrition and water. If that's done of course is another discussion. Those things are not safe for underage kids

One cheerleader from my gym a couple years ago passed out (can't remember if it was during or after) the routine at a competition because he was only running on Monster and his body couldn't handle it. It was scary. I'll admit I drink energy drinks every so often when I'm up studying (Starbucks Refreshers -- significantly better for you than most but still not great lol) but when doing athletics, a good night's sleep, healthy meals and plenty of water will keep you much more alert and energized than a Red Bull will. I'm no health expert but I feel like it should be common sense for most teens and especially for PARENTS who allow their kids to drink that stuff.

No no and more no. I had an energy drink before a tumbling practice one day, years ago, and after/during prac i was immediately sick to my stomach and light headed. Never did that again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too much caffeine, way too much sugar, and way unsuitable for young athletes.

These drinks only provide a short-term, shallow increase in energy, much like eating a heap of candy or taking a caffeine pill. It scares me that athletes are resorting to this (and more importantly, that their parents are letting them) rather than good old-fashioned nutrition and hydration.

When I went to Woodward a few years back, I barely slept so the only thing getting me through the day was a red bull in the morning an hour before practice. But no matter how tired I was for practices besides camp, I never needed them

Caffeine, Taurine, Glucose, Sucrose, and B Vitamins are the main ingredients of Red Bull. Taurine, as well as some B Vitamins, are blood thinners. Although a Red Bull on its own probably would be fine, many athletes take ibuprofen (a blood thinner) before practice and the two together could be dangerous in the event of head trauma. It's not so much the drink by itself, as much as, your overall health and what you may be combining it with that could be dangerous.

Totally against them. They're just really not healthy to drink in general, especially not before physical activity.

Water is your best option. Gatorade is good if you are sweating buckets, and chocolate milk is good to replenish.

I once drank a red bull before a dance in high school my sophomore year. 30 minutes into the dance I was crying hysterically because the red bull had my heart beating so fast and I was all jittery, haven't touched an energy drink since. The side effects it can have on the body just are not good, IMO.

Back