OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
100% depends on the chapter. I'd be more than willing to elaborate more on my campus' greek life if you're interested but from what I've gathered: Southern greek life it kind of is your life and up north it's what you make of it. You can literally just go to meeting and a couple other things or throw yourself into it. Obviously there's that spectrum in the south but it's much wider up north.
yes! just pm'd you

So I'm attending Alabama in the fall (and obviously rushing) and I'm a little confused about rec letters. Are they required? I ask because I don't know very many people who are alums of a sorority. Being from California, sororities aren't huge here. What happens if I don't have any?

So I'm attending Alabama in the fall (and obviously rushing) and I'm a little confused about rec letters. Are they required? I ask because I don't know very many people who are alums of a sorority. Being from California, sororities aren't huge here. What happens if I don't have any?
Since you're going to be in the south I would HIGHLY recommend that you get reference letters filled out for at least most of the chapters at your school

For Bama, I'd say YES!! I can write you one for KD if you'd like just PM me!

It can be kind of crazy. I've compared rushing to being like speed dating, but you have to pick your husband at the end. Just try to have fun, everything will work out!

It was a lot of fun. But it was a "death by chocolate" party and I would be in the middle of eating a brownie or something and someone would start asking me my life story. Kind of awkward.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

So I'm organizing my chapter's big philanthropy event and it's a live and silent auction

So I need help

What kind of companies can I ask for donations?

So I'm organizing my chapter's big philanthropy event and it's a live and silent auction

So I need help

Are you targeting the items more towards adults or students? For the silent auction, anything local and specific to your town that would be familiar with your chapter would be more willing to donate. Restaurants, movie theaters, boutiques, your bookstore or wherever people buy ECU clothes, hotels, wineries if you have those? Or maybe that's just a regional thing? Dentists could donate teeth whitening. Banks or any bigger companies that have football or basketball suite tickets, especially if you can package them with a hotel stay and restaurant gift card- an alum will grab that in a heartbeat. Gym memberships/personal trainers, spa services, tanning packages, anything like that works in a silent auction. And if you want something fun and random for students, I attend an event every year where there is a raffle of a ton of beer donated by a grocery store. Last year I think it was like 15 cases which is 360 beers? Somewhere around there, but it's always the most popular item in the raffle before the auction starts

The Fierce Board App!

So I need help

OH WHAT UP I organized a silent auction for the Parents Weekend events I planned junior year. I ended up not having to cold call or solicit donations from anyone personally and we still cleared several thousand dollars. It might be a little different for you since this was a fancy cocktail party with parents (and booze) involved, but I'll still let you know what I did.

Do you guys have committees? Every officer had a committee and member of our chapter belonged of one of these committees. I required every committee to make up a basket for the auction, those were big sellers. Officers met with their committees and decided what their basket themes would be based on if anyone had any hook ups/connections/etc. One basket was Gamecock football themed (stadium cups, tailgating supplies, pompoms, game tickets for that weekends game, etc.) another was coffee lovers themed, Gamecock baseball themed, grilling themed (with various grill trinkets and sauces), movie night themed, and so on and so forth. I let the officers organize them within their committees and everyone had to have them in by a due date. It was a great way to get everyone involved. Plus is guaranteed at least 16 items from the 16 different committees.

Other than the baskets, I started asking for random donations anyone could offer. Nothing was too big or too small. BE SURE to involve your alumni as well, they love this stuff. Plus a lot of them have hookups from the companies they own or work for. Another neat idea is to get people's "special skills" involved. We had several super crafty girls so one of them donated painted wineglasses and another bought a cooler and offered to custom paint it for the winning bidder. One sister knew an artist who specialized in drawing of houses and donated a free sketch of the winning bidders home. One alum was married to a dentist and he donated two free whitenings. One sister's dad did these way cool iron animal statues that were perfect garden decorations. Another alum had a pretty Kappa charm bracelet. We had several sisters who were athletic trainers so they got a football signed by coaches and players at practice, and I remember that was a big seller.

I'll post more ideas as I remember them. You know where to find me if you need any help!

I'm thinking of doing Spring Rush.. Some people say to wait till fall to get the "full experience." Yay or nay?

Back