All-Star U. S. A. S. F. Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

True, though on the flip side better to get it right. This affects us for 2 years!

I hear what you're saying. And fortunately it does not affect our gym because we won't have tryouts til after worlds. But I think of those gyms that ARE having tryouts this month for whatever reason. Like in another thread they said their last comp was a week or two ago so tryouts are coming up now. Gyms have to do that in order to keep the $$$ rolling in. I want them to get it right. Just do it in a respectable amount of time. :)

I hear what you're saying. And fortunately it does not affect our gym because we won't have tryouts til after worlds. But I think of those gyms that ARE having tryouts this month for whatever reason. Like in another thread they said their last comp was a week or two ago so tryouts are coming up now. Gyms have to do that in order to keep the $$$ rolling in. I want them to get it right. Just do it in a respectable amount of time. :)

Very true, but having tryouts now is a business decision. And a governing body cannot bend to all business decisions. If someone were to have their tryouts in February after CheerSport they as well would be in a pickle. Also, since the USASF might be declaring seasons lots of this will need adjustment. I would say the key is this is coming out DURING the current season, and not in the middle of next (I think of Worlds as the crossover from one season to the next). If a gym choses to structure themselves differently than 90% of the other gyms out there, that is completely their choice.

PS - Les, wanna give us some hints as to what went through? ;) ;)

Very true, but having tryouts now is a business decision. And a governing body cannot bend to all business decisions. If someone were to have their tryouts in February after CheerSport they as well would be in a pickle. Also, since the USASF might be declaring seasons lots of this will need adjustment. I would say the key is this is coming out DURING the current season, and not in the middle of next (I think of Worlds as the crossover from one season to the next). If a gym choses to structure themselves differently than 90% of the other gyms out there, that is completely their choice.

Ok, I will agree with that. But then why say March 1st in the first place?? Why not just say, "sometime in March" like the most recent post said?? lol

I don't get the issue, there was a vote, tally the votes and release the results. Some 700 votes in so that should take... a few hours. A vote is a vote and that is the ONLY thing that should matter. If your going to ask for votes and then disagree then don't ask for votes. Again 2 months is 1 month 29 days too long IMO.

Ok, I will agree with that. But then why say March 1st in the first place?? Why not just say, "sometime in March" like the most recent post said?? lol
I don't get the issue, there was a vote, tally the votes and release the results. Some 700 votes in so that should take... a few hours. A vote is a vote and that is the ONLY thing that should matter. If your going to ask for votes and then disagree then don't ask for votes. Again 2 months is 1 month 29 days too long IMO.

While I am not a fan of the process set in place, let me describe the process, because it is going on as planned. Our votes are suggestions to the committee on how to vote. Certain pieces of our votes can have unintended consequences so they get heavily discussed. IE: crossovers and division size changes.

Personally I think if you build a business model around either of these two things you are gonna fight like hell to keep 'em, and that is probably where we are at.

BUT with $5 a gallon gas this summer we better get our ducks in a row. I could go off on a rant, but I wont.

Once the rules are out, I will tweet, post on these boards, and stand on the roof tops and scream.
@ Mclovin: I have to tell you there is a lot more that goes into this than you realize. Because these rules and the age grid are SO important, we make it a point to take our time and do the best we can. Yes, we realize that gyms have tryouts coming up quickly and that is all the more reason we take our time rather than rushing through. Another thing to remember is that all of these people on the committees have full time jobs and businesses to run which means we can only have conference calls so often.

Les Stella

Once the rules are out, I will tweet, post on these boards, and stand on the roof tops and scream.
@ Mclovin: I have to tell you there is a lot more that goes into this than you realize. Because these rules and the age grid are SO important, we make it a point to take our time and do the best we can. Yes, we realize that gyms have tryouts coming up quickly and that is all the more reason we take our time rather than rushing through. Another thing to remember is that all of these people on the committees have full time jobs and businesses to run which means we can only have conference calls so often.

Les Stella

Has anyone thought about giving up sleep?

Its tough I know, because so many different factors effect the " industry" so much. I get it. However, we are a small gym and I have reviewed these rules proposals and considered how it would effect us positively and negatively in the event that any given proposal is passed, and really what it comes down to is that even if it effects us in a bad way you find a way to work through it. While I agree its important to get it right, ones person right is obviously another persons wrong.
I would be concerned for the gyms who would fold at the change of any given rule. But as indicated above, I too agree that 2 months, is an awfully long time to wait. We wouldnt wait 2 months to find out who the president is? And for us things like the age grid is very important, we have a young gym and this could be huge for us. So our whole gym is on hold until we can figure out what teams we will be offering next year. So for me, I will be waiting each day until these rules are released.

Its tough I know, because so many different factors effect the " industry" so much. I get it. However, we are a small gym and I have reviewed these rules proposals and considered how it would effect us positively and negatively in the event that any given proposal is passed, and really what it comes down to is that even if it effects us in a bad way you find a way to work through it. While I agree its important to get it right, ones person right is obviously another persons wrong.
I would be concerned for the gyms who would fold at the change of any given rule. But as indicated above, I too agree that 2 months, is an awfully long time to wait. We wouldnt wait 2 months to find out who the president is? And for us things like the age grid is very important, we have a young gym and this could be huge for us. So our whole gym is on hold until we can figure out what teams we will be offering next year. So for me, I will be waiting each day until these rules are released.

Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Though while trying to decide the needs of the many, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Les Stella

Fair enough. I realize that ya'll take this very seriously. I'm glad you want to make sure you get it right. I love this sport more than anything (other than God and my family, lol) and I want to see it grow and become a legitimate, recognized sport in our country. I guess it's easy to judge when I'm not involved in the process. I guess I just don't understand how many conference calls it takes, lol. :)

I agree, but with 700 members voting I would hope that MORE people would get involved and VOTE then more numbers and less reason for others to have discrepancies. I'm just annoyed that there was a conference for the these proposals to be discussed (pros and cons) and then there was the vote, now months later we are all still waiting. I respect the process but the longer the process takes the more speculation there is as to "why" and "how" these decisions are made. Mr. Stella you are an extremely respected man in the cheerleading community (me included). I appreciate your time, I am just speaking on my personal frustrations about the "process".

yojaehs, thank you for the compliment. I can PROMISE you, I feel your frustration more than anyone. There is nothing I want more than for all of this to be over with. I absolutely think we need to make some adjustments to the "process". I agree with everyone that the longer it takes, the more speculation of foul play becomes the perception. No promises, but I hope this is all wrapped up by the end of next week.

yojaehs, thank you for the compliment. I can PROMISE you, I feel your frustration more than anyone. There is nothing I want more than for all of this to be over with. I absolutely think we need to make some adjustments to the "process". I agree with everyone that the longer it takes, the more speculation of foul play becomes the perception. No promises, but I hope this is all wrapped up by the end of next week.
Thanks again for your time!

Obviously, the process needs to be improved. But let's all take a moment to remember how far we've come.

Ten years ago, there was NO process at all and each event producer maintained their own set of rules.

Five years ago, the rules were often changed on a whim because one group thought it was a good idea.

Three years ago, the rules were up in the air every year.

Two years ago, a set of rules was implemented and (with only a few exceptions) kept in place for a whole two year cycle.

We 're just now starting the second two year cycle and even with all the frustration on this delay, we are in such a better place.

Back