All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I understand the rule, but think about enforcement. Is there going to be a judge that listens for illegal music samples? If so, how could they possibly be aware of every single song, sample, etc.?
Would the potential offending gym have to prove that part of their music is legal? If so, how?
Sounds like they'll have to work that portion out.

Well, I have been looking for a side job....
I do have a CD that would be ok to use under the new rules. Unless Les Mis isn't considered popular.;)
Do you wanna duet with me and cover every musical soundtrack? I don't want to brag but I do a pretty dang good job singing Idina's parts from Wicked. We have similar vocal ranges ;)

I can also kill almost every song from Legally Blonde: The Musical.

I can almost do Daveed's part in Guns and Ships (sans accent, sadly), and his rap bit in Washington On Your Side, so there's that.
I also like to pretend I can sing as well as every female in the cast of Fun Home and the original cast of Evita.

(Seriously though, I have a recording of when the local theatre group I was in did Les Mis. I don't know if that would be a cover though.)
Oooooooh Fun Home, I love singing Fun Home. And all of Nina's and Vanessa's parts from In The Heights. Gosh I love musical theater songs. So much fun to sing.

This should happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The dance industry uses larger sections of music in their mixes. This should apply even more so to the dance industry as well.
So the people making/singing/writing music can service more than one industry. More job security.

Do you wanna duet with me and cover every musical soundtrack? I don't want to brag but I do a pretty dang good job singing Idina's parts from Wicked. We have similar vocal ranges ;)

I can also kill almost every song from Legally Blonde: The Musical.
Oh I was in a production of LB last year and got to play Margot, it was so much fun! And I still sing the rap from Positive almost everyday...my family kinda hates me now

Ok, someone with more legal knowledge than me help me out. We've been discussing this in the high school section for a few weeks now because it was put out that summer camp music had to be covers or originals as well. Someone posted over there (can't remember who) that covers aren't any better. The whole point of copyright is to protect the artists/writers and make sure they earn the money for their creation. Covers still take the creation and just remake it, so the song the artist wrote, the music they put together is still not getting credit or payment with a cover. Are covers really legal, is it any better? Now you're still stealing their creation, but not only are you profiting off of it instead of them, they likely now don't even get name recognition.

Rachel Platon's fight song is a good example. In my mind I think SE had a large part in her success. Give one of the most watched teams in cheer an exclusive unique new song and you have just gotten your song in front of a lot of people who will go download buy and checkout your other stuff. Kids will share with friends and call into radios to have the song played. Now change that with the new cover rule. New artist Rachel's song is covered. SE uses the cover version in the pyramid. Now Rachel's song is still technically being stolen (even though not her vocals.) Everyone knows the cover song, but has no clue it's Rachel. No one goes searching on iTunes to buy Rachel's song, no one cares to find Rachel on youtube, they just enjoy this song that SE has in their music and next season are going to ask their producer to put it in their own mix. Rachel still isn't getting any credit or financial gain. No one knows who she is either. I almost think covers are worse.

@AScheer I read the rule to say that their needed to be a copyright release if covers are used in music but I may be misinterpreting. I agree with your points though!

I have no idea about how the legality of music works but I know there are some premade cheer websites that mix the songs for you but you have to buy each individual song for the same price it sells for on iTunes (so you pay the whole $1.29 for the song even if you only use 15 second of the song) isn't that then giving profit to the musicians and not copywriting? Since you technically bought the song can't you just do whatever with it? Again...I have no experience in laws ...just cheer ;). So I'm just wondering why isn't this legal? Or is it?

** so you buy the whole song on iTunes but the premade music website already has it mixed for you

Back