All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I danced in high school, we had to submit the copyright verification before we were allowed to compete. My guess is something along those lines.

*What did we even do before the invention of Google?*

At USA school and Junior Nationals, cheer and dance teams have to submit their music forms, songs in mix must be on verified ASCAP or similar site. If we could do this that's fine with me because most songs are on there!

So, this means that anytime someone uses a song for "profit" it is illegal? Where is the definition of "profit" given? Does this mean that every time someone uses a song in a YouTube video they can be sued? Are YouTube views counted as "profit?" What about when a nonprofit plays a popular song at a fundraiser? Or when a high school uses the Top 40 list for a school dance?

There are so many "what if" situations that I feel like this rule will be hard to enforce.

So, this means that anytime someone uses a song for "profit" it is illegal? Where is the definition of "profit" given? Does this mean that every time someone uses a song in a YouTube video they can be sued? Are YouTube views counted as "profit?" What about when a nonprofit plays a popular song at a fundraiser? Or when a high school uses the Top 40 list for a school dance?

There are so many "what if" situations that I feel like this rule will be hard to enforce.
As it stands, I believe the main form of "profit" they are referring to is music producers remixing songs and selling them to teams and gyms for a profit. It seems to me their main issue lies with music producers editing their product and making money off of it, not gyms competing to the music.

As it stands, I believe the main form of "profit" they are referring to is music producers remixing songs and selling them to teams and gyms for a profit. It seems to me their main issue lies with music producers editing their product and making money off of it, not gyms competing to the music.

That makes sense.

So, music producers could offer free music. And then charge a massive amount for "shipping" fees. Or, they could say that they are charging for the time it takes to convert the mix into a format that is for an iPod/iPhone/CD. Then, they aren't making money off the music. They are making money for being tech savvy.

That makes sense.

So, music producers could offer free music. And then charge a massive amount for "shipping" fees. Or, they could say that they are charging for the time it takes to convert the mix into a format that is for an iPod/iPhone/CD. Then, they aren't making money off the music. They are making money for being tech savvy.
It isn't just about profit. Artists can be very possessive of their creations, and if you are using them and incorporating them into anything - a routine, a video montage, etc whether it is for profit or not, you are technically violating copyright laws. The likelihood of having any issues in this situation is very slim. If you are performing to a mix that will be televised on ESPN whether you profited from that mix or not your chance of having issues with the copyright violations just increased. It's like speeding - if you are doing 38mph in a 35mph speed zone in a small town your chances of getting a speeding ticket are highly unlikely. If you are doing 200 mph on a highway near a major city you will probably end up in jail.

Last edited:
It isn't just about profit. Artists can be very possessive of their creations, and if you are using them and incorporating them into anything - a routine, a video montage, etc whether it is for profit or not, you are technically violating copyright laws. The likelihood of having any issues in this situation are very slim. If you are performing to a mix that will be televised on ESPN whether you profited from that mix or not your chance of having issues with the copyright violations just increased. It's like speeding - if you are doing 38mph in a 35mph speed zone in a small town your chances of getting a speeding ticket are highly unlikely. If you are doing 200 mph on a highway near a major city you will probably end up in jail.

Very much this! And it's not always the artists you think of like a Taylor Swift who has been quite vocal on this issue; around the Superbowl last year a company that is working on girl's engineering toys came out with a commercial (to win a spot) and used parody version of a Beastie Boys song and they pulled the plug on it before it even got to the voting round.

So Kentucky posted their nationals video via varsity with new music for this rules and I had to turn it off. So disappointing.

So Kentucky posted their nationals video via varsity with new music for this rules and I had to turn it off. So disappointing.
So that was totally a mixture of bad 90s cheer music and video game music. And no final countdown? That was terrible. If that's what music is going to than I'm out.

The Dance Buzz: Studio Owner Buzz: Music Licensing FAQ
This is a few years old and focuses on dance...but gives you an idea. It's not just the music producers...it's the gym owners, EPs and even those renting out the venue or building
So based on the licensing info I found here. it would cost about $2-5 a kid per year to license with the 3 necessary agencies, plus the gym doing their own mixes to fix this for 99% of music out there. Why is it even an issue??

Back