All-Star Usasf New Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm having a slightly hard time getting over the death of pure level 2 (and 3) prep. The new divisions are 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 and 3.2. So if you want to do level 2 tumbling you have to do level 3 stunts. That's kinda crazy IMO. And no level 3 tumbling at all.

At our latest comp there were the following number of prep teams:

Level 1 - 29 teams
Level 2 - 12 teams
Level 3 - 3 teams

So quite a lot of level 2 teams that won't be able to exist anymore. :( My CP is leaving prep but I still think it's sad.

Our Junior prep ended up with a 5, 6, and 7 yr old by cheer age. Both the 5 and 6 yr old had older siblings, and were placed on that team to limit stress on parents, but it ended up being that we had two little bitty ones who spent a lot of time looking cute, but not doing much. It also really limited the team on tumbling, because the little ones didn’t progress as fast as the older girls. CP is praying for a senior prep-travel doesn’t work with her schedule, but being one of only two people on the team who have started puberty is a little uncomfortable. Although she did like finally being the “tall one” (she finally made it on the height/weight chart for her age when she grew 6 inches-but a 10th% 13 yr old towers over a 50% 9 yr old, and is a giant compared to a 6 yr old!)

I’m guessing some of those level 2 and 3 prep teams will become limited travel elite teams. Honestly, a lot of the level 2 and 3 prep teams (and some of the level 1) were better than some of the elite teams at the same competitions. A lot of the D2 gyms seem to leave most of their lower level teams as prep and only do 1 day comps, but then have really good level 3 and 4.2 (and sometimes 4). Hopefully, gym owners will see and understand that there is a need for teams that have a prep schedule at those levels.

I can see 2.1, 3.1,and 3.2 being good for kids who start older, because it lets them progress in stunting while progressing slower in tumbling. Just like with 4.2,there is a place for this. I could also see it being a good option for a kid with a tumble block-better to move to a 3.2 vs back to a level 2 overall.

I’m guessing some of those level 2 and 3 prep teams will become limited travel elite teams. Honestly, a lot of the level 2 and 3 prep teams (and some of the level 1) were better than some of the elite teams at the same competitions. A lot of the D2 gyms seem to leave most of their lower level teams as prep and only do 1 day comps, but then have really good level 3 and 4.2 (and sometimes 4). Hopefully, gym owners will see and understand that there is a need for teams that have a prep schedule at those levels.

I can see 2.1, 3.1,and 3.2 being good for kids who start older, because it lets them progress in stunting while progressing slower in tumbling. Just like with 4.2,there is a place for this. I could also see it being a good option for a kid with a tumble block-better to move to a 3.2 vs back to a level 2 overall.

Yeah that would work if it's full year teams, I like the idea of "elite" but with limited travel.

In our area half year prep is a big thing. It would be difficult for a half year team to compete against full year teams in "elite", and also they would have to have a 2:30 routine (instead of 2:00) and do tosses. Not a lot of time to learn everything as it is...

I find it interesting that prep now only goes to 17..
Also wondering what happened to international open level 3? Wasn't that supposed to be a division?

Did Open 4 use to be 17 and up, now it is 14 and up or am I confused?

I find it interesting that prep now only goes to 17..
Also wondering what happened to international open level 3? Wasn't that supposed to be a division?

It's a thing already in the UK but I think this is just at the EP's discretion. BCA do it as I competed Open 2 at the weekend, however everyone in the divisions for that and level 3 were all 17 and over.

It’s been talked about a lot up in Canada since last year, but I can’t think offhand of any teams that have actually competed in the division yet

The Cheer Canada grid has Open (17+) 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 to encourage more adult participation for next season.

"Cheer Canada has created opportunities for young adults to continue to compete after they “age out” of Senior divisions by offering new Open categories for athletes aged 17 and older, as well as non-tumbling divisions enabling Long Term Athlete Development and cheerleading as a Sport For Life."

All Star Age Grids, 2018/19 – Cheer Canada – Canada's National Sport Organization for Cheerleading

I can't seem tp to get over the idea that there will be so many divisions next year. As it is, we sometimes go to comps where multiple divisions end up having no competition. When more divisions are added, it will happen even more often. Which really waters down the experience for me as a spectator. And I suspect that some gyms will choose their division strategically to avoid competing against other particular gyms.

This is more likely scenario for lower level teams at regional comps. But that's generally what our gym attends. I guess the new goal is high score of the day.

Back