All-Star What's The Freakin' Problem? And, Where Does It Freakin' Extend.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to be honest and say I chose not to read through this whole thread, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the topic. :)

There is A LOT of questionable lyrics, choreography, etc in our sport. But I have never once thought saying Cali Freakin Fornia was inappropriate. I loved it actually. Of all the things that could and SHOULD be inappropriate in our sport, that is not one that bothers me at all. I do not make it a habit to cuss, but there isn't a slang word I don't use. Freakin, dang, darn, shoot, crap, heck, etc. If those words are now considered inappropriate, I am in trouble! haha And so are my kids. For the most part, I love what NCA is trying to do about keeping things family friendly with uniforms, lyrics, etc. And if banning slang cuss words in one of them, I will stand behind them. But I don't consider it bad or offensive at all to use them.
I mean, freakin isn't in my top tier of questionable 'replacement' words, but I've found that it's coming to be used more and more inappropriately than it was originally intended? If that makes sense? I mean, I wouldn't have necessarily BANNED it, but its use is evolving to the more inappropriate side. At least in my neck of the woods.. :)

I use flippin' instead sometimes. Or, my personal favorite, 'WHAT THE FRENCH, TOAST?!?!'

I mean, freakin isn't in my top tier of questionable 'replacement' words, but I've found that it's coming to be used more and more inappropriately than it was originally intended? If that makes sense? I mean, I wouldn't have necessarily BANNED it, but its use is evolving to the more inappropriate side. At least in my neck of the woods.. :)

I use flippin' instead sometimes. Or, my personal favorite, 'WHAT THE FRENCH, TOAST?!?!'

So if I say "Shut the flip up" that sounds better than "shut the freak up"? Regardless of what you insert there, doesn't the person hearing it/reading it automatically insert the word they ASSUME it's meant to replace? Just wondering what the argument is of one word over another. If I say bullcrud, doesn't your mind automatically insert the intended word there? Does that make sense? IDK, I just don't see the issue I guess. There are SO many slang words for curse words these days. People can take a very innocent word and make it vulgar if they want to.

I recall being about 10 and i said to my mother "i can't see the freakin TV" and she flipped out. I doubt any parent would think its cute if their son or daughter started saying "freakin" before words..... it's a gateway word.

My kids say, "that's freakin awesome" and things like that all the time. It doesn't bother me at all. Hmmm, maybe I'm getting too immune. Usually I'm on the end crying foul over inappropriate things in our world/country/sport. I'm about as conservative as they come. I still can't see a thing wrong with it. I guess in a day when all of my kids' friends use the REAL words, I think they are saints for using the slang versions. lol

Please remember, Justin Carrier said he DID NOT, I repeat, DID NOT have a problem with the word freakin at NCA.

This is clearly a decision made by the California coaches and not of NCA. Please quit blaming all of your cheerleading woes on Varsity and their subsidiaries.

On a different note: The NBA (that's National Basketball Association) did have a problem with the team mascot "Bullets" that is why the the team from Washington DC is now the Washington Wizards instead of Washington Bullets. They were known as bullets from 1974-1996 until the folks thought that bullets was too negative.

Please remember, Justin Carrier said he DID NOT, I repeat, DID NOT have a problem with the word freakin at NCA.

This is clearly a decision made by the California coaches and not of NCA. Please quit blaming all of your cheerleading woes on Varsity and their subsidiaries.

On a different note: The NBA (that's National Basketball Association) did have a problem with the team mascot "Bullets" that is why the the team from Washington DC is now the Washington Wizards instead of Washington Bullets. They were known as bullets from 1974-1996 until the folks thought that bullets was too negative.
I always thought the owner wanted the name changed due to the high crime and murder rate that was soaring back then. I don't think the NBA made them.

The same with Varsity in this "freakin" case. They aren't forcing the change, the Cali organization is.

I like "shut the front door!"

As for freaking, I feel like that's one of those words where you have to look at the context of the word. Is freakin sometimes used a substitute for another "F" word? Yes. But not always, and I don't really think that Cali-freaking-fornia was meant to invoke the other word.

Even with what McLovin said her kids said - "that was freaking awesome!" Didn't they say that same phrase in the movie The Incredibles? Not that the MPAA is the final world on what's appropriate and not, but that movie was PG and I'm sure that there aren't too many parents who wouldn't be comfortable with their kids seeing it.

Our whole planet is going this way. Everyone's ultra sensitive about everything, so it's no surprise that it's happening in cheer. I think "Cali-Freakin'-Fornia" is such an established thing that it would be impossible to get 8 judges to agree on it. Chances are one of them is a fan of Cali and doesn't want to see them deducted for something that has become somewhat of a trademark.
Unless a team is dancing to Dance (A$$) by Jay Sean/Nicki Minaj, in which it says the A-Word (I feel so 8 saying that) 27 times in a row... I think most of the situations are over-exaggerations.

overreactions* not over-exaggerations.

Lol. You mean Big Sean

What about words that are extremely awful euphemisms but older people are just not aware of? I can think of a few that most people over 20 wouldn't give a second glance but a little visit to urban dictionary would make them cringe.

Oh yeah I can see why Cali would ask for it to be removed. It seems though that some believe NCA contact Cali when Justin said that NCA had no problem with it. People seem to like to have someone to point fingers at and now they don't know who. I think the only person that should be upset about it is Kyle since he had to do all the work in taking the voiceover out.

If Cali asked to have it removed than how upset can Kyle be? After all he can bill for the change as it was requested by Cali. The request did not come from NCA.

As for freaking, I feel like that's one of those words where you have to look at the context of the word. Is freakin sometimes used a substitute for another "F" word? Yes. But not always, and I don't really think that Cali-freaking-fornia was meant to invoke the other word.

Even with what McLovin said her kids said - "that was freaking awesome!" Didn't they say that same phrase in the movie The Incredibles? Not that the MPAA is the final world on what's appropriate and not, but that movie was PG and I'm sure that there aren't too many parents who wouldn't be comfortable with their kids seeing it.

Yes. There is a huge difference between your kid getting excited and saying "that's freaking awesome!" and your kid getting cocky and yelling at you "I can't see the freaking tv!"

One would have gotten a smile from my mom cause I was happy, the other would have probably gotten my teeth knocked out.

Just sayin....

What about words that are extremely awful euphemisms but older people are just not aware of? I can think of a few that most people over 20 wouldn't give a second glance but a little visit to urban dictionary would make them cringe.
Yeah..I was surprised when I urban'd 'serve' (as it's in F5s mix). Apparently it's also a reference for dealing drugs? :confused:

I dunno. Like everything, it depends on context and age. Like 'That's freaky'..or '...' well, I'm not going to use it inappropriately ;)

Yeah..I was surprised when I urban'd 'serve' (as it's in F5s mix). Apparently it's also a reference for dealing drugs? :confused:

I dunno. Like everything, it depends on context and age. Like 'That's freaky'..or '...' well, I'm not going to use it inappropriately ;)
I noticed that in a few of his mixes this season, he uses "served", not just F5s.

On another thread, however, Kyle said that the Cali coaches asked him because they were called by Varsity and asked to change it.

That's directly from Kyle.

Back