All-Star What's The Freakin' Problem? And, Where Does It Freakin' Extend.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Great point and I agree so much. It's like don't turn on the freakin radio or tv because you will hear a lot worse. If it's ok for that to be broadcasted without explicit warnings so there fore something a family could openly listen too then the same for a cheer routine. Its not that serious.

Ok I'm done I know my voice changes nothing. It's not a democracy it's a cheerocracy ... Lol

Good night everyone!

Except for the gym and cheer music or somebody riding in the truck/car with me I don't even turn on the radio anymore unless it is news or sports. And that is when I feel like listening to something which is rare. Same for TV, with the addition of the History channel. Now I am older than most on the board but I remember my mother saying that if they ever played profanity or showed a "nekkid" body on TV she was throwing it in the trash. While I haven't pitched it in the trash I rarely watch it for that same reason. If others want to listen to/watch that stuff, that is on them. Just isn't for me. So while the majority of today's music isn't my cup of tea, I try not to impose it on others.

Honestly I was never a huge fan of the VO (it got a little old about the 8th time they scream Cali-freakin-fornia), but I feel for the team. It's hard to have part of your "identity" taken away. But if the issue is freakin is replacing the F-word than the music industry is about to get shook up. How many of you have an "Oh snap!" VO in your routine? Snap is a little kid variation of S***. What about VO's like Georgia's Dirty Dozen or Tog Gun's Sexy Six? In my opinion, freakin is on the bottom of the list in bad things I've heard in cheer music

Honestly I was never a huge fan of the VO (it got a little old about the 8th time they scream Cali-freakin-fornia), but I feel for the team. It's hard to have part of your "identity" taken away. But if the issue is freakin is replacing the F-word than the music industry is about to get shook up. How many of you have an "Oh snap!" VO in your routine? Snap is a little kid variation of S***. What about VO's like Georgia's Dirty Dozen or Tog Gun's Sexy Six? In my opinion, freakin is on the bottom of the list in bad things I've heard in cheer music

LOL. Glad you said it. My fuddy duddy side was about to come out and call all of the things that are substitutes for cuss words in music and voice over. Let me go and sit back down and listen to the phonograph!:D

I didn't realize cheer was rated G. Freakin (and I'm old) is not a problem in my mind - I doubt CA bullets think the bad F word in their head. They're just FREAKING amazing - like .. so good it's freaky! It's also not a big deal to take it out. However, I'd rather see time spent on standardizing score sheets in order to make cheer seem more like a sport. Taking out freakin isn't getting us closer.

As someone who writes the Voiceovers for Kyle to use in Cali's mixes I don't know what the deal is! There are way more vulgar things in the dances in some of the song selection in music these days! Cali without freakin is like world cup with no curls or tg without pit bull in their mix! I have no clue how I'm goin to write another vo for Cali withouth sayin Cali freakin! I put freakin in 15 mixes and now they had to be takin out :( sounds to me NCA is jealous of Cali and wants people to starting referring to them as NC FREAKIN A!

I've been doing cheerleading a LONG time and love cheer music but when California All Stars started their whole "cali freakin fornia" theme, I thought of the "negative" connotation first. Even though it CAN mean something else you should always go with your BEST judgement with a sport such as cheerleading, especially since it involves so many young kids. Also many people bring their parents and grandparents to events and you want them to have a positive image. As good as CA bullets are, they should have no problem making another hot rhyme into the cheer world.

you know what though? playing devil's advocate for a second...how many people actually hear the music? mostly us hardcore, diehard, cheer fans who already have the mixes memorized.

well technically next year...what do you mean who?! the one who rode in your fabulous mustang w/the top down w/the girls singing at the top of their lungs :cheering:
baha! I'm thinking Camaro Convertible this year!! I didn't realize this was your fierceboards ID.

I feel like you should at least be able to use "freakin" at worlds rather than at all........everyone at worlds is pretty mature for the most part. Before we know it we'll be competing to the ABC's song...-________-

NCA isn't the only one, my team got a deduction at UCA for a "vulgar dance move" at UCA a few years back. The lesson I learned is to air on the side of caution bc it isn't worth hurting your team, (we still won). But what I'd like to say to ALL that are reading this, think bigger picture, is it REALLY worth a deduction to have ONE word or ONE motion that in your head or in ANYONE'S head be construed as offensive? I agree that I think this is a bit much, but why not be safe than sorry? If cheerleading is heading towards a more appropriate image I have no problem with that. I've made the mistake before and realized that it just isn't worth it. I end on this, maybe you agree maybe you disagree that is strictly your choice BUT if you compete a move, uni or song that is deemed inappropriate and you get a deduction, the one thing you CAN'T say, is that you weren't WARNED!

NCA isn't the only one, my team got a deduction at UCA for a "vulgar dance move" at UCA a few years back. The lesson I learned is to air on the side of caution bc it isn't worth hurting your team, (we still won). But what I'd like to say to ALL that are reading this, think bigger picture, is it REALLY worth a deduction to have ONE word or ONE motion that in your head or in ANYONE'S head be construed as offensive? I agree that I think this is a bit much, but why not be safe than sorry? If cheerleading is heading towards a more appropriate image I have no problem with that. I've made the mistake before and realized that it just isn't worth it. I end on this, maybe you agree maybe you disagree that is strictly your choice BUT if you compete a move, uni or song that is deemed inappropriate and you get a deduction, the one thing you CAN'T say, is that you weren't WARNED!
UCA, let a guy compete in Drag.. maybe they have bigger things to worry about...

I often wonder if we let ourselves run away on the side of inappropriate, and now that we're being asked to pull it back we're going kicking and screaming..honestly, to me? This is like when they decided to take juniors out of worlds. Trust me, you'll live. In fact, by this time next year, you'll probably have 20 other things to worry about besides bemoaning the fact that the word 'freakin' was taken out of CA's mix. How long has Cali been 'Cali-freakin-fornia' anyway? I can only remember back 4 years or so..and they've been open almost a decade. That's less 'freakin' than more..

Although I also wonder if it's maybe not the use of the word 'freakin', so much as it is the GROSS overuse of the word, and the fact that it has moved away from just use in a senior teams mix to now junior teams as well (and perhaps others, I'm not sure). Once every-other word in that mix is 'freakin' and it's in a mix for a team that can contain 9 year olds, maybe that's the point at which you say 'Are there any other words in the English language that I can use?'

I do love me some good ole' cali-freakin'-fornia but i dont think anyone is going to die because they took it out of their music. Lets face it. Our sport has alot of critics jumping down our throats about inappropriate uniforms, makeup, etc. If cleaning up the music alittle bit helps the sport as a whole have a better image with the public, then hey, im all for it.

Back