All-Star Your/your Cp's Tryout Goals For 2018/2019?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

An update to try-outs for CP. Her gym has decide not to tell people what team they have made. Instead they will practice in mixed groups during the summer, and will announce teams in August. But they want tuition, new uniform fees and comp fees before they tell you what team your CP has made. That could be a deal breaker for us.

Our gym did this and it was the season that ended CP's cheer career. If I knew where she was going in late May/early June, I would have had time to switch her to a closer to us gym that I knew would have an age appropriate team. I didn't know until late July and it was to late.

I’ve seen this done befor for several reason. Kids gain and loose skills all through the summer. Plus you always have those one hit wonders that land something at tryouts then are never able to do it again.

Leveled practice groups give you the opportunity to see skills consistently for a set amount of time. Plus see how athletes fit in with other athletes, Which athletes work best together, And how they hold up at the level in areas other than tumbling.

I rather place all the levels together for an extra month to see if someone one that might not have the tumbling can impress you in other areas or someone that has the tumbling night not have mindset and strength. Than place teams and regret a decision later, Or have to break someone’s heart by moving them down from a team they were just not ready for.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with leveled practices before teams are created. Lots of gyms do that. The problem is asking for uniform/comp fees before you know what team you will be placed on. Tuition I get, since you are paying for training/coaches, but the rest should be able to wait until teams are decided.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with leveled practices before teams are created. Lots of gyms do that. The problem is asking for uniform/comp fees before you know what team you will be placed on. Tuition I get, since you are paying for training/coaches, but the rest should be able to wait until teams are decided.
Why should comp fees wait before team placement if the gym has selected competitions for the 2018-2019 season?

If the gym uses same gym wide uniform and all teams attend same competitions then those fees aren’t dependent on what team a child is placed. I guess the issue for some would be that they aren’t happy with the team they are placed and would be leaving gym and therefore don’t want to be out the uniform and comp fees.

Why should comp fees wait before team placement if the gym has selected competitions for the 2018-2019 season?

Because a parent should have the ability to walk their child out of the gym if they don't agree with the team their child is placed on. This isn't a popular opinion and not even one I held until after we experienced what we did---but locking people in with no recourse is just a bad idea.

Because a parent should have the ability to walk their child out of the gym if they don't agree with the team their child is placed on. This isn't a popular opinion and not even one I held until after we experienced what we did---but locking people in with no recourse is just a bad idea.

Yes this but also, what if I can't get her to the gym on the day/time of practice for the team she is placed on? Our family has other children and other obligations. I don't want to pay and then find out that it isn't even possible.

Yes this but also, what if I can't get her to the gym on the day/time of practice for the team she is placed on? Our family has other children and other obligations. I don't want to pay and then find out that it isn't even possible.

And this! I had both of my kids cheering during our last season. Even though they were on the same day, one day a week there was a massive gap in between them; and it wasn't a weekend so not only do I have my 2nd grader out super late, I also have her 1st grade sister out too. There is so many things I would have done differently in hindsight, but I felt trapped because not only had I already paid for abc and xyz, but the contract was signed with a hefty fee to leave mid-season. We eventually broke it---I just wish we had done so 6-7 months sooner. If we had taken the year off or gone elsewhere, older CP would still probably be a CP.

I think waiting an entire summer to find out what team you'll be placed on is a bit extreme but the not knowing when the practices would be for the season would make me insane. I get twitchy not knowing for a couple weeks when her practice schedule for the new season will be. I have four kids I need to plan.

Question re: needing two kids to practice same night.

Do your gyms honor those requests and consider them when selecting teams?

Example: You have 2 kids Suzy and Sally. Suzy is a lock for J3 that practices on M/W. Skillwise, Sally could likely make another season of Mini 1 (that practices same days as Suzy) or move up to Youth 2 (practices a different day/time.)

Are you able to indicate to your staff "I really need/want Sally and Suzy on same day even if it means year 2 on same team?"

Curious especially for those of you who drive long distances and do not have carpool options.

Last edited:

Example: You have 2 kids Suzy and Sally. Suzy is a lock for J3 that practices on M/W. Skillwise, Sally could likely make another season of Mini 1 (that practices same days as Suzy) or move up to Youth 2 (practices a different day/time.)

Are you able to indicate to your staff "I really need/want Sally and Suzy on same day even if it means year 2 on same team?"

Curious especially for those of you who drive long distances and do not have carpool options.

Our gym would honor the request as long as both kids have the skill set required for the team, like in your example. AFAIK they would not allow someone to move up a level just for carpooling reasons.

Cp’s gym would take it into consideration but not for a Worlds team or one of the elite junior teams.

Our gym split up sisters because mom didn't want them on the same team so I assume they would have as long as you asked before teams were formed.

I have multiple children who cheer and can't imagine asking for that unless it really was obvious their skills were equal. That has not been the case since they were minis together and they have not been placed together since...

Back