All-Star How Come There Is No Jr. World But Dance?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh. My. Jesus.

Why do I even bother... But yes! THIS. Agree with all of this.

I'm quite new to the dance world, but the people I work with aren't. I'm nowhere near California, or new Jersey, so maybe since the 3 of us are spread out all over the map it'll count as a "good sampling?"

@Fierce_Elite - one, NO ONE said DANCE wasn't as prestigious. You're just looking for stuff that is not there. They said that the USASF Dance Worlds is not as prestigious IN THE DANCE COMMUNITY as Cheer Worlds is in the cheer community. It's really not hard to understand - or believe.

Two, I work in "the real dance world" - not affiliated with a cheer gym in any way. Our studio is home to many well known professional dancers, as well as a good sized competition team. Our staff is composed 100% of "working" dancers - professional, paid dancers with the Joffrey, Giordano, Cats, The Lion King, Culture Shock, Framework, etc. - many of whom you've probably seen on TV plenty of times. Our competition team travels nationwide to compete (like most - just throwing that in so you stop acting like no one on here has ever met dancers that compete). No one there - literally NO ONE - has heard of Dance Worlds. Trust me - no one I work with thinks dance is not prestigious. :rolleyes: It's their life's work! They just have never heard of the USASF - because they are not the "governing body" for dance.

So, you've got people from California, NJ/NY, and Chicago telling you that no, "real" dancers don't consider USASF Dance Worlds the ultimate in dance, and you're saying we just don't know the right people? No, YOU don't know the right people.

I know you do this on purpose because you think it's funny - but really, you are such a troll. I doubt you've ever met one person involved in cheer or dance.

ETA - when I say I'm new to the dance world, I mean with my job and my kids. But I danced my whole life. I was in ballet for 16 years, but we didn't compete (I don't know if there even were competitions back then). But I'm new to competitive dance. This is only our 2nd year.
Lol

How exactly is a distraction? Waste of time and stop spending money on it?

That's crazy. I'm not upset at all, but this is the perfect comment to point out as rude and dissing dance.

Yea u have it credit as being well respected, but you pretty much dissed it when you said it was a distraction and time and money should stop being on it.

I don't think there is any thing wasteful about USASF dance.

You're really making it SEEM like that you think dance all together shouldn't exists in the USASF community because it's not about cheerleading.

I didn't mean to make it SEEM like dance shouldn't be part of USASF. I meant to ACTUALLY say it shouldn't be part of USASF.

Has nothing to do with respecting dance. I also think dance shouldn't be governed by the NFL.

I'm curious too. I thought cheer competitions were ridiculous until I started seeing dance. EVERYONE wins in dance - literally, everyone. Everyone gets gold... But can still be last place? Because it's "high gold" not "elite gold"? What? It's so confusing! I always think it's too much like pageants - Ultimate grand supreme, Grand supreme, supreme beauty, whatever. What ever happened to 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

I'm not sure what our girls would consider the pinnacle of dance. I'm sure they think the little rinky dink nationals we go to in Myrtle Beach is it. I'm thinking our staff would feel differently than the kids - I'm not sure.

Most of our girls compete because it's the only way to get ahead at our studio - being in the company. But the majority of them don't seem to care about the competitions - I think their idea of the ultimate "win" is getting in things, like the Nutcracker, Broadway shows, etc. I think for them the goal is not winning competitions, it's actually being professional paid dancers.

Not sure if they could name an ultimate competition. I agree - I don't think there really is one that is equivalent. Just smaller nationals.
From what I remember, most dance competitions awarded variations of gold/silver/bronze. I always assumed it was based on score sheet. (Think low mid and high range for cheer score sheets).

Bronze, High Bronze, Silver, High Silver, Gold, High Gold and ULTIMATE GOLD. It's definitely evolved. Certain golds are worth more than others- Ultimate Gold at one comp might be Gold at another. Very similar to pageant scoring.

Most of the competitions I went to did a top 10 based on group size: Top 10 Large Group Numbers, Top 10 Small Group Numbers (Regardless of age), etc. I remember when they announced we won Best Large Group at a competition...I might as well have just won NCA lol. Sometimes they also did a Top 10 of the whole competition- ADA did that. Those numbers then went on to compete again later for overall. I will say- while we didn't go to a lot of competitions or travel very far, many of the ones we went to were HUGE. Boston, RI, Hartford, etc. Like big cheer comp long.

@Fierce_Elite to answer your question I think worlds simply got too big to include junior teams. It would turn into a week long spectacle.

I did competitive dance from age 10-18 but I agree with @ACEDAD. USASF has enough to deal with in all star cheer, the reason USASF ever existed, and all star dance really isn't thought of much in competitive dance. This isn't too put down dancers at all! But dance and cheer are two extremely different sports. Different kinds of athletes, conditioning, etc. The only thing too similar might be the crazy stage moms[emoji15]

I guarantee you that no one on this board thinks dancers don't work hard or that dance isn't respectable. At least IMO, competitive dance already has their world. USASF needs to focus on all star cheer and make sure they're doing what they can to make that as good as it can be before moving on to other ventures.

having a completely separate governing body for dance would be wonderful! i don't see it ever happening though. also, allstar dance is growing every year. for worlds 2015, the senior divisions are being split into large and small just like the cheer worlds.

having a completely separate governing body for dance would be wonderful! i don't see it ever happening though. also, allstar dance is growing every year. for worlds 2015, the senior divisions are being split into large and small just like the cheer worlds.

How long do you think it will be until Worlds has to split the event into two different ones,

i don't understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

Worlds is busting at the seams. This cheer will be a little better since the cheer side has streamlined the amounts of bids, but I think with the growth of both the allstar dance and cheer divisions, eventually there will be a split, and there will be two events. I know you are more involved with dance and was wondering when and if you felt that might happen.

Worlds is busting at the seams. This cheer will be a little better since the cheer side has streamlined the amounts of bids, but I think with the growth of both the allstar dance and cheer divisions, eventually there will be a split, and there will be two events. I know you are more involved with dance and was wondering when and if you felt that might happen.
i could see dance being moved to a different venue. I don't think this would be too much of a problem because there aren't really any cheer-dance worlds crossovers. obviously this won't happen soon because of USASF's contract with Disney. It is too early to really predict, but maybe because of the Dance Summit there will be less senior dance teams trying to get to worlds. As for two separate events, that is totally a possibility. I could see this happening in the 2016-2017 season or after.

I spoke with an regional director, and she said that they still have two more years at Epcot, so its not really "too soon" to be thinking about that.

Back