High School 16-17 Nfhs Rules Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
I filled out the survey recently. Wondering what everyone would like to see?

The big one for me would be some variety of a braced flip that can be braced on one side only. Even if they limited the height by making it prep-to-prep and the direction to front/back flips only, I think that's a reasonable rule change that could open up a lot of options for small and medium pyramids.

Any other opinions?

The big one for me would be some variety of a braced flip that can be braced on one side only. Even if they limited the height by making it prep-to-prep and the direction to front/back flips only, I think that's a reasonable rule change that could open up a lot of options for small and medium pyramids.

Any other opinions?
I love that idea. I would call for double downs to be brought back, but I don't think we're ready for that yet.

Any other opinions?

That would be a great addition.

Any other opinions?
Agree I would love to see braced flips only need one bracer!!! I would put the rule in place however that the flip should start below shoulder level, only because I'm thinking "we don't need a coach HS" would try to do something way out of a safe zone for them if they could initiate the flip from any higher. I think your top nationals teams could safely do skills from higher, but if the rule changes it does for everyone and most squads out there don't have capable coaches or access to equipment.

I love that idea. I would call for double downs to be brought back, but I don't think we're ready for that yet.

I have to admit I am not a fan of the double down in high school cheer.

My opinion (and I graciously admit it is opinion only) is that they were not be doing taught/performed correctly. They had also become the "end all, be all" skill for dismounts. So, despite the fact that a high percentage of the kids performing them had no business doing so, almost everyone was doing them, janky or not. There were also a significant number of concussions occurring to athletes in various stunt positions from double downs gone wrong.

When double downs came out, it forced coaches to be more creative utilizing other, legal skills to dismount stunts. I think it completely changed routines for the better. I would much rather see them stay out, and these creative skills stay more prevalent.

again, that's just an opinion.

Maybe not going to happen but I would love to see high to high tick tocks become legal. That's where I assumed it was going when low to highs became legal.

I would also like to see unbraced rewinds become legal if they start at the ground and end at shoulder level or below. (Edit - clarifying that I mean a single free standing group, NOT as part of a pyramid) If that's asking to much, at least ending at a squish. Currently you can do them as long as there is hand to hand contact. From personal experience those are more dangerous than being able to release the flyer like college level athletes do. It's harder to hang on to the flyer imo and I've seen them go bad many of times from multiple teams!

Last edited:
Agree I would love to see braced flips only need one bracer!!! I would put the rule in place however that the flip should start below shoulder level, only because I'm thinking "we don't need a coach HS" would try to do something way out of a safe zone for them if they could initiate the flip from any higher. I think your top nationals teams could safely do skills from higher, but if the rule changes it does for everyone and most squads out there don't have capable coaches or access to equipment.

I agree,that's why I suggested prep-to-prep being the maximum height. Maybe prep-to-dismount (ie: cradle or floor)?

I would love to see some additions made to allow for some non-inverted release moves in pyramids with bracers that don't have backspots.

It makes choreographing for small teams, specifically mine of 11, really difficult. For example, switchups and other releases that can be performed freestanding aren't legal in our pyramids for our two outside groups because we have to have a prep without a backspot in the center. If we had only one group doing it, it would be difficult to max out on numbers of groups performing skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not going to happen but I would love to see high to high tick tocks become legal. That's where I assumed it was going when low to highs became legal.

I would also like to see unbraced rewinds become legal if they start at the ground and end at shoulder level or below. If that's asking to much, at least ending at a squish. Currently you can do them as long as there is hand to hand contact. From personal experience those are more dangerous than being able to release the flyer like college level athletes do. It's harder to hang on to the flyer imo and I've seen them go bad many of times from multiple teams!

I think unbraced rewinds may be pushing the envelope a little much, though I agree with your statement that the hand-to-hand contact can make them more dangerous. I also think that the bracers in braced flips can make those more dangerous. If you had a group of people unloading on a braced flip, with a small top, and two bracers who don't belong in their position...that's asking for a disaster as well. However, I also understand the concept that good bracers both limit the height of the skill, and can control the top.

I agree. I like that there are no longer double downs. I also like that baskets are slowly going away, though I hated it at first and may be the only one happy about it now.

One other think I would like to see added is being able to flip over someone who is not on the ground. For example two groups stand in a line close to each other. The front one at a thigh stand and the back in a prep. Flyers grab hand to hand. I would love to be able to vault back prep girl over shoulder stand girl without putting shoulder stand girl on the ground first. I feel like that could add new skills and transitions into pyrmaids without any more risk than what is currently being done.

I think unbraced rewinds may be pushing the envelope a little much, though I agree with your statement that the hand-to-hand contact can make them more dangerous. I also think that the bracers in braced flips can make those more dangerous. If you had a group of people unloading on a braced flip, with a small top, and two bracers who don't belong in their position...that's asking for a disaster as well. However, I also understand the concept that good bracers both limit the height of the skill, and can control the top.
I think I maybe didn't clarify that I meant not as in a pyramid. I completely agree unbraced rewinds in a pyramid would be too much for this age groups! Rewinds as a single stunt group. As in one flyer, one back, two bases. Freestanding. Being able to start on the ground, throw the flyer, and catch in a squish is far safer in my opinion than the way it's currently done now; which is the back and flyer holding hand to hand during the stunt.

This! I love double downs when they are taught correctly and they are done properly = so, so, pretty and enhancing to routines! But they are so scary when teams aren't taught correctly and girls are just spinning/diving for dear life.

I cheered in HS (06-10) when double downs were still legal, and I saw a handful of very, very, scary double downs (probably unqualified coaches/coaches that didn't think they need to bring in people to teach proper technique). So many heads knocking together, flyers diving, and necks whipping around... ugh knowing what I know now, as a coach, I look back and cringe at that fact coaches let their teams perform those skills...:confused::oops:

I think I maybe didn't clarify that I meant not as in a pyramid. I completely agree unbraced rewinds in a pyramid would be too much for this age groups! Rewinds as a single stunt group. As in one flyer, one back, two bases. Freestanding. Being able to start on the ground, throw the flyer, and catch in a squish is far safer in my opinion than the way it's currently done now; which is the back and flyer holding hand to hand during the stunt.

I understood, and I agree that it's safer for some teams. As someone posted earlier, though, what's made legal for top teams, is made legal for all teams. There are too many with coaches out there who would just jump on whatever skill they saw on a video. Here's an example, about 15 years ago, I was working with a team doing their choreography because they had JUST become coed. Their guys couldn't do basic, single-based extensions. This coach wanted me to teach one of them how to do, what she was calling, "the twin towers." After much discussion, I figured out she was describing a double cupie. He had no business trying that skill, but they insisted on showing me how "close" he was. It was that very attempt that broke two girls' ankles.

This! I love double downs when they are taught correctly and they are done properly = so, so, pretty and enhancing to routines! But they are so scary when teams aren't taught correctly and girls are just spinning/diving for dear life.

I cheered in HS (06-10) when double downs were still legal, and I saw a handful of very, very, scary double downs (probably unqualified coaches/coaches that didn't think they need to bring in people to teach proper technique). So many heads knocking together, flyers diving, and necks whipping around... ugh knowing what I know now, as a coach, I look back and cringe at that fact coaches let their teams perform those skills...:confused::oops:

I think the injury statistics would show that it was more than just a handful of teams that were doing them who should not have been.

I think the injury statistics would show that it was more than just a handful of teams that were doing them who should not have been.
Oh totally! That was just the handful I saw when I was in HS, and in MA at the competitions we attended. I can only imagine the statistics thought the whole country :confused::confused::confused:

Back