High School 16-17 Nfhs Rules Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

hey, i know this might not be the best place for this question.. but from my understanding, high school teams are not allowed to double up, they're not even allowed to 1.5 up right? no twisting can be more than 1.25 rotations? someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, but i've saw a video of a middle school team doing their stunt sequence for nationals or whatever comp it was, and they were doubling up, they also did either a handstand or backhand spring up, i can't remember, but I asked the person, and they told me "maybe it's not legal in your state" I thought the rules were the same for everyone?

Using AACCA Rules (and I believe NFHS is the same - I just don't have a book), Middle School teams follow the same rules with the exception of basket tosses. With that being said, double twisting is illegal in tumbling, tosses and dismounts. As for stunts, it is legal.

So are high schoolers allowed to double up? That's so awkward...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are high schoolers allowed to double up? That's so awkward...

Yes, high school teams are allowed to perform non-released double ups.

As are middle school teams who are obligated to adhere to AACCA guidelines governing cheerleading for athletes high school age and below. While the National Federation of High School Sports does not expressly write rules for those below high school grade levels, most middle school sports/activities adhere to some variation of their rules.

hey, i know this might not be the best place for this question.. but from my understanding, high school teams are not allowed to double up, they're not even allowed to 1.5 up right? no twisting can be more than 1.25 rotations? someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, but i've saw a video of a middle school team doing their stunt sequence for nationals or whatever comp it was, and they were doubling up, they also did either a handstand or backhand spring up, i can't remember, but I asked the person, and they told me "maybe it's not legal in your state" I thought the rules were the same for everyone?
The rules at UCA Nationals (assuming that this is what you are talking about) are created to be flexible enough for teams from all over to be able to compete successfully. For example, when many states began to ban HS teams from doing basket tosses, UCA stopped requiring tosses on the scoresheet (thus preventing these teams from being placed into a situation in which they would be compelled to break the rules in order to score decently). Double-ups are legal if they are fake double-ups; for example, full-up + bases turn once. And yes, last time I checked, twisting skills (for both tumbling and stunting) cannot exceed 1.25 rotations.

Thanks!!!! But No, kid you not, these middle schoolers did a complete double up, one of the cleanest I've seen.

Thanks!!!! But No, kid you not, these middle schoolers did a complete double up, one of the cleanest I've seen.

That's only possible if they released... and the only released double-up I have ever seen performed was done by a stunt group from UTSA All-Girl.

If you're unfamiliar with the middle school division, head over to varsity's website and just browse through the middle school division of UCA nationals. You won't be disappointed. Just because the kids are younger doesn't mean less talented!

My guess is that it was a ruby slipper double up. The bases do move, but you can get the illsion of a double up if you do it clean! @Official OWECheer though is correct, you cannot do a TRUE release double up. I have seen very few of those done by all girl groups but it is possible. Posting a video below for reference of what a true double up is verses a ruby slipper double up.

Ruby Slipper Double Up (legal even for middle school) -

TRUE release double up (bases don't move, flyer actually goes twice around) -

Another video that shows CS Great Whites doing double ups this year. Four core groups do true double ups, the side two in the back do ruby slipper double ups. Great video to show the two next to each other. Watch at 22 seconds.

Yeah GDubbs kilt those free releases, I was so amazed, but uhm the double up the middle schoolers did was the ruby slipper I believe? Basically that video without the heel stretch, and I've been trying to fine the rules forever but I couldn't so I'll check there. Thank you!

I would say the very large majority of teams in hs and Allstar performing double ups are using the non release grip, I wouldn't call it a fake double up but obviously the release double up is way more impressive, and difficult!
Yup! If anything, most people are rounding up; a non-released double-up is only going to complete 1.75 rotations.

Yup! If anything, most people are rounding up; a non-released double-up is only going to complete 1.75 rotations.
Do you mean without the bases moving? Because I've definitely seen non-released double ups with 2 full twists, with bases moving though of course.

Do you mean without the bases moving? Because I've definitely seen non-released double ups with 2 full twists, with bases moving though of course.
Yes, with the bases moving. I've never seen an unreleased double-up like the one you described, though.

Yes, with the bases moving. I've never seen an unreleased double-up like the one you described, though.
Maybe not in high school (I'll admit I don't watch too many high school videos, so I just don't know, not saying there aren't any), but there are definitely plenty of well executed full double ups in all star (and definitely plenty of not so well execute double ups lol)

Maybe not in high school (I'll admit I don't watch too many high school videos, so I just don't know, not saying there aren't any), but there are definitely plenty of well executed full double ups in all star (and definitely plenty of not so well execute double ups lol)
I would love to see an unreleased complete double-up, that would change so much for Senior 5!

Back