High School 16-17 Nfhs Rules Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry for all the posts, just keep thinking of new things!

I would also like to see the rule added that single leg extended stunts can connect.

I have to admit I am not a fan of the double down in high school cheer.

My opinion (and I graciously admit it is opinion only) is that they were not be doing taught/performed correctly. They had also become the "end all, be all" skill for dismounts. So, despite the fact that a high percentage of the kids performing them had no business doing so, almost everyone was doing them, janky or not. There were also a significant number of concussions occurring to athletes in various stunt positions from double downs gone wrong.

When double downs came out, it forced coaches to be more creative utilizing other, legal skills to dismount stunts. I think it completely changed routines for the better. I would much rather see them stay out, and these creative skills stay more prevalent.

again, that's just an opinion.
I agree.

I would also love flips only needing one bracer too, even if it was limited to front flips! I think high to high tic tocs would be a good addition.

I would not be happy if double downs made a comeback 1. I enjoy other creative dismounts more and 2. My teams haven't done a full down in years!! I don't even know where I'd begin. lol

I would also love flips only needing one bracer too, even if it was limited to front flips! I think high to high tic tocs would be a good addition.

I would not be happy if double downs made a comeback 1. I enjoy other creative dismounts more and 2. My teams haven't done a full down in years!! I don't even know where I'd begin. lol

We have continued to full down, because I see that as part of my job in prepping my kids do college cheer...where a good collegiate coach will want a kid to be able to single prior to attempting a double.

I also see it as a means to teach a kid the optimum body position for spinning in their tumbling skills. A straight, hollowed out position, is a straight, hollowed out position. No matter what the circumstance.

Agree! This is the first year we didn't even do single fulls. We taught them back in the summer, but since we didn't include them in choreo, the kids really never even do them on their own. We rarely even cradle at all now!

I have to admit I am not a fan of the double down in high school cheer.

My opinion (and I graciously admit it is opinion only) is that they were not be doing taught/performed correctly. They had also become the "end all, be all" skill for dismounts. So, despite the fact that a high percentage of the kids performing them had no business doing so, almost everyone was doing them, janky or not. There were also a significant number of concussions occurring to athletes in various stunt positions from double downs gone wrong.

When double downs came out, it forced coaches to be more creative utilizing other, legal skills to dismount stunts. I think it completely changed routines for the better. I would much rather see them stay out, and these creative skills stay more prevalent.

again, that's just an opinion.
Yes, yes, yes! You put what I was trying to say perfectly!

We have continued to full down, because I see that as part of my job in prepping my kids do college cheer...where a good collegiate coach will want a kid to be able to single prior to attempting a double.

I also see it as a means to teach a kid the optimum body position for spinning in their tumbling skills. A straight, hollowed out position, is a straight, hollowed out position. No matter what the circumstance.

We will do them at skills camp but have not used them in routine so they don't do them very often! They are just not my favorite dismount, but already thinking of fulling down out of our single bases for next season :)

I agree. I like that there are no longer double downs. I also like that baskets are slowly going away, though I hated it at first and may be the only one happy about it now.

One other think I would like to see added is being able to flip over someone who is not on the ground. For example two groups stand in a line close to each other. The front one at a thigh stand and the back in a prep. Flyers grab hand to hand. I would love to be able to vault back prep girl over shoulder stand girl without putting shoulder stand girl on the ground first. I feel like that could add new skills and transitions into pyrmaids without any more risk than what is currently being done.
Love this as a new transition! Yes please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey, i know this might not be the best place for this question.. but from my understanding, high school teams are not allowed to double up, they're not even allowed to 1.5 up right? no twisting can be more than 1.25 rotations? someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, but i've saw a video of a middle school team doing their stunt sequence for nationals or whatever comp it was, and they were doubling up, they also did either a handstand or backhand spring up, i can't remember, but I asked the person, and they told me "maybe it's not legal in your state" I thought the rules were the same for everyone?

Back