All-Star 25/75 Vs 50/50 Scoring Which Do You Prefer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

hnm part of me would like that however some teams compete back to back weekends - is it worth it form a monitory perspective (does day 1 become a showcase "percey")
What do think might be the unintended consequences by instituting that policy at all 2 day competitions to our sport? One and possibly done.
This would only make sense for divisions with more than 10 teams. At Worlds, how you score on each day DOES matter because you are trying to qualify for the next round (preliminaries => semi-finals => finals). Other than the large senior division, all teams are fighting for the top 10 (3 if your in the open divisions) spots which allows them to qualify for the finals. This method wouldn't work well with competitions that allowed you to compete at finals regardless of how badly you scored on day 1. You might as well just have your athletes stand on the mat for 2 and a half minutes and not do anything, then really go full out the next day during finals when it counts.

On the other hand, if you implement a system that only allowed certain number of teams to qualify for day 2, a lot people are going to be upset after having to pay for cost that supposedly covers for a "2-day" competition if they don't make finals. Even though this method will upset people, I like the idea that only a set number of teams can make finals.... it's the same with every other sport, so why not cheerleading?

What do think might be the unintended consequences by instituting that policy at all 2 day competitions to our sport? One and possibly done.
I feel like gyms that aren't competitive and consistently place further back would eventually go out of business because it puts a heavier price tag on placing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like gyms that aren't competitive and consistently place further back would eventually go out of business because it puts a heavier price tag on placing better.

So how would constant canabalization of the sport be good for it? Teams that are not competitive teams eventually do go away. Once those teams go away what happens to those gyms that are good now but fall in and out of that bottom third? There still a lot of unintended consequences you haven't thought out. It might make you happy now but maybe not so much ten years down the road. I could maybe see doing what you are taking about for the triple crown events. But ten years down the road there won't be 1000 plus teams going to these events who have to travel and pay $2500 for a weekend of cheer won't do it more than once or twice if they don't make it to day 2. Then those events will turn into 500 team regional events.

Last edited:
So how would constant canabalization of the sport be good for it? Teams that are not competitive teams eventually do go away. Once those teams go away what happens to those gyms that are good now but fall in and out of that bottom third? There still a lot of unintended consequences you haven't thought out. It might make you happy now but maybe not so much ten years down the road. I could maybe see doing what you are taking about for the triple crown events. But ten years down the road there won't be 1000 plus teams going because people who pay who have to travel and pay $2500 for a weekend of cheer won't do it more than once or twice if they don't make it to day 2. Then those events will turn into 500 team regional events.
I went to uca Disney and didn't even spend 2500$ a weekend so I'm not sure why the high number.

Why should you be guaranteed to compete twice? So you can say you came in 10th of 10th place? It just makes day 2 long and daunting to sit through a bunch of teams that aren't going to have a shot. Just so they can get a trophy.

When you go to Cheerpower and you place like 6th or 7th and after ... They don't even award you a place. They just call you a finalist. So basically you mise well of competed at a local comp and exhibition. Most 2 day competitions are bigger competitions so that's why I think at 2 day comps it would be fair to do this.

I realize we are going to the summit and though we are very talented anything could happen and we could drop stunts and touch down in tumbling and not even make it to day 2. That's a risk we take, that I actually find very exciting. Of course I hope it doesn't happen but if it did we would just have to do better next year I guess! I'm ok with spending all this money for a comp to only be a one day comp if we don't have our stuff together!

I went to uca Disney and didn't even spend 2500$ a weekend so I'm not sure why the high number.

Why should you be guaranteed to compete twice? So you can say you came in 10th of 10th place? It just makes day 2 long and daunting to sit through a bunch of teams that aren't going to have a shot. Just so they can get a trophy.

When you go to Cheerpower and you place like 6th or 7th and after ... They don't even award you a place. They just call you a finalist. So basically you mise well of competed at a local comp and exhibition. Most 2 day competitions are bigger competitions so that's why I think at 2 day comps it would be fair to do this.

I realize we are going to the summit and though we are very talented anything could happen and we could drop stunts and touch down in tumbling and not even make it to day 2. That's a risk we take, that I actually find very exciting. Of course I hope it doesn't happen but if it did we would just have to do better next year I guess! I'm ok with spending all this money for a comp to only be a one day comp if we don't have our stuff together!

Your a very intelligent person and I have read many of your posts. I don't think you have thought this completely through. My Cp gym took 3 teams to Cheersport this is our second year there all 3 teams under your senecio would have advanced day 2. We ended up with 2 first and a third. My CP team put up the highest level 3 score another team got their at large bid. It still cost us $2500 to come to that event. Our gym now goes to 10 events plus US finals and Summit. Of those 10 competitions we go to 8 two day competitions. People will not pay that kind of money for one and done.

While you and your daughter may Enjoy the sport now if those changes were to happen I don't think your daughter and her child will have a better experience. All that kind of system would promote would be more gym jumping coach stealing and eventually higher tuition costs with lack of alternatives.

Ps on our team about 1/3 of the Dads go too. I can get to $2,000 just counting air fare transportation hotel comp and entry fee without including food or any shopping.

Last edited:
If cheer season were in the summer, I'd be a fan of 50/50. With it being in the heart of the school season with time zone changes, weather issues, etc. I like 25/75. I have never been one for the conspiracy theory, however, the closer you are to a competition, I believe you have an advantage just solely on less stress and more rest.

I think we know what's better for the industry...or at least those who make money in the industry. 2 day comps where everyone advances to day 2, and while we are at it...let's break down the divisions into smaller divisions (group a, b, c etc) so everyone feels their odds of winning that jacket are that much better. (1 in 7 versus 1 in 40). Better odds makes for more "excitement" and more willingness to throw down $1000s to go. But really, with all the division splits...it's almost an easier win than some regionals (even though the team names may be different and they may have travelled further).

My point...those who make $ in this industry have figured out the formula.

Last edited:
I think we know what's better for the industry...or at least those who make money in the industry. 2 day comps where everyone advances to day 2, and while we are at it...let's break down the divisions into smaller divisions (group a, b, c etc) so everyone feels their odds of winning that jacket are that much better. (1 in 7 versus 1 in 40). Better odds makes for more "excitement" and more willingness to throw down $1000s to go. But really, with all the division splits...it's almost an easier win than some regionals (even though the team names may be different and they may have travelled further).

Couldn't agree more. My CP is competing in a 2 day comp in a week and they have 3 divisions of 5-5-4. On the flip side we did competed at a WSF event and they do not split up divisions at least at this comp they did not and there were 31 teams. We are very proud of that win it got her team their bid to Summit.

That may work for Worlds or Summit but how many parents are going to pay for hotels for a two day competition and only compete one day? I am going to guess not long.

A little off-track, but I absolutely hate the way that Worlds or Summit work with the bids. It gives far too much power to the gate-keeper Event Producers. This is CLEARLY why the bids are set up that way - to force gyms to go to more and more of the events under the control of that particular cartel of EPs. They have a disproportionate amount of power already and this setup gives them even more.

Summit is a brilliant scheme for Varsity to push people to their brands and away from the independent event producers, but that doesn't mean that I like it.

At one EP in the uk they made statement saying that at their regionals they were only splitting small and large is there were overall if the combined 15 teams or more. at their nationals last year they had small and large but did split further and some at 17-20 teams in just one with scores tight it made great comp

I remember when it was 75/25 where 75% of your score was the first day, then teams wouldn't compete the second day cause they knew they couldn't get up from whatever position they were.

I prefer 50/50. I've seen teams jump 4-5 places on Day 2 with a 50/50 scale. It sure isn't easy, but isn't that the point of it? If you messed up, you gotta own up to your mistakes and work hard to overcome. Wasn't there a team at NCA last year (ICE I think?) that went from 20-something place Saturday to top 5 on Sunday? That's just ridiculous to me. Nothing against those teams because that's the formula they competed under, I just prefer the consistency that is required of it being 50/50.

Back