All-Star 3 Year Old Bhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

World Cup in NJ has a Youth Level 5 team called the Twinkles. So as long as your daughter's doctor doesn't tell you it's unhealthy for her to try, don't be discouraged, anything is possible. Just remember a BHS is a difficult point for any always going to be difficult for a CP for two reasons: fear of the actual flip over, and the muscle development. If u get doctor's clearance, try having your daughter work on holding a handstands against a wall

Youth =/ not preschool
My CP is youth age (9yo) and has a full, but at the age of 3 she was not doing BHS or BWO. I think she will be hard pressed to find any doctor that will okay this for a 3 year old.

I
Youth =/ not preschool
My CP is youth age (9yo) and has a full, but at the age of 3 she was not doing BHS or BWO. I think she will be hard pressed to find any doctor that will okay this for a 3 year old.

I agree but Youth starts at age 5, and those CPs at WC didn't get their level 5 skills overnight, they started at an early age and had some excellent instruction and dedication. Some kids advance quicker than others, I'm merely saying it is possible. Whether or not it's healthy for the CP, should be in the hands of a medical professional not people on a cheer board. And that's my point.

World Cup in NJ has a Youth Level 5 team called the Twinkles. So as long as your daughter's doctor doesn't tell you it's unhealthy for her to try, don't be discouraged, anything is possible. Just remember a BHS is a difficult point for any always going to be difficult for a CP for two reasons: fear of the actual flip over, and the muscle development. If u get doctor's clearance, try having your daughter work on holding a handstands against a wall
Youth is 11 and under regardless of age. You don't see Tiny Level 5 teams at a gym for a reason.

I love forums, because
Youth is 11 and under regardless of age. You don't see Tiny Level 5 teams at a gym for a reason.

I love forums they take one point and go to an exteme. I'm not implying that there should be Mini level 5 I'm saying kids advance at different rates and considering there is a Y5 team that obviously kids can learn things at early ages. To further illustrate my point here are 3 videos of the same girl at 4, 6 and 7. As you can see she had her BHS early and progressed VERY quickly.

At 4

At 6 Konnor McClain - 'Look At Her Now..' (Age 6) - YouTube

At 7

Snoopy26 Your daughter is absolutely a phenomenal tumbler. I think the issue with the original post was that mom was talking about her toddler's mental block because she wanted her to get her bhs for her 4th bday party to show it off. I realize the Tiny Level 5 was an extreme example but the reality is most 4 year olds do not have the coordination let alone the arm strength to execute a bhs.

Snoopy26 Your daughter is absolutely a phenomenal tumbler. I think the issue with the original post was that mom was talking about her toddler's mental block because she wanted her to get her bhs for her 4th bday party to show it off. I realize the Tiny Level 5 was an extreme example but the reality is most 4 year olds do not have the coordination let alone the arm strength to execute a bhs.

This amazingly little girl is not mine, I'm just showing it as an example that what the OP is looking for IS possible. I concur with the medical concerns that are posted in the prior comments which is why my initial comment on this thread included that she get doctor's clearance, and then a small tip to help. Yahl have a good weekend.

I no for a fact WC would never put a 3 year old on twinkles LMAO... There are plenty young talent in the gym that may have level 5 skills but are not EMOTIONALLY ready for the pressures and commitment... they work they way up from tinies to minis to youth 2, 3 and then 5. I would say the youngest is around 9.
That would truly give new meaning to the term "fetal flyer"!

I no for a fact WC would never put a 3 year old on twinkles LMAO... There are plenty young talent in the gym that may have level 5 skills but are not EMOTIONALLY ready for the pressures and commitment... they work they way up from tinies to minis to youth 2, 3 and then 5. I would say the youngest is around 9.

Wait you mean to tell me my 7 year old who kind of has a standing tuck and who almost has a full cant be on twinkles????
(By almost has a full I mean she just recently got her layout and we know it only takes like a few weeks to get a full because all she has to do is spin but its practically the same thing)

lmao.. I'm kidding

If my daughter would of started when she was 3 and not at 5 she would have like her double now! Geez!!

I was curious and typed in "3 year old back handspring" into youtube and was surprised by the amount of videos that came up

Wait you mean to tell me my 7 year old who kind of has a standing tuck and who almost has a full cant be on twinkles????
(By almost has a full I mean she just recently got her layout and we know it only takes like a few weeks to get a full because all she has to do is spin but its practically the same thing)

lmao.. I'm kidding

If my daughter would of started when she was 3 and not at 5 she would have like her double now! Geez!!
i thought you were being serious for a second :oops: lol

I was curious and typed in "3 year old back handspring" into youtube and was surprised by the amount of videos that came up
By sheer morbid curiosity I did the same thing. The "technique" only convinced me that no three year old should be training back handsprings. Body control first....skills second.

And am I the only person who doesn't get why there is such an all fire rush to get more and more skills at younger ages? Why is it necessary for a three year old to have a handspring? There was a video of a 9 year old with a standing three to double (which was more like a 1 8/10 but it was still really good) and her technique was great.....but what can a 9 year old do with a double?! You can't compete it unless you're in a gym with no ethics and a forged birth certificate....so why is it necessary to ensure a three year old has a handspring so a 6 year old can have a full so a 9 year old can have a double.....and be bored stiff or burned out for the three years before it can hit a competition floor?

Just don't get why we need to make superstars out of elementary...or preschool...kids.

Unfortunately 12stepCheermom, everyone at one poin t thinks their child will be the next superstar. I know I did watching my cp progress fast but as said previously i can see signs of boredom at times and the aches and pains from all the repetitive motions setting in and he still has a few years to go before graduating high school. At times I wish he had not progressed so quickly. Don't misunderstand, he loves what he does but I can see the boredom at times. We all forget these are kids that still just need to be kids.

By sheer morbid curiosity I did the same thing. The "technique" only convinced me that no three year old should be training back handsprings. Body control first....skills second.

And am I the only person who doesn't get why there is such an all fire rush to get more and more skills at younger ages? Why is it necessary for a three year old to have a handspring? There was a video of a 9 year old with a standing three to double (which was more like a 1 8/10 but it was still really good) and her technique was great.....but what can a 9 year old do with a double?! You can't compete it unless you're in a gym with no ethics and a forged birth certificate....so why is it necessary to ensure a three year old has a handspring so a 6 year old can have a full so a 9 year old can have a double.....and be bored stiff or burned out for the three years before it can hit a competition floor?

Just don't get why we need to make superstars out of elementary...or preschool...kids.
I've also wondered the same thing. And what happens a lot of the time is exactly what you said - that amazing tumbler at 9 is either burned out at 14-15 because she has spent 6 days a week in the gym since age 3 and now wants a social life or is still there but has just become much less of the gym favorite/megastar because other kids have caught up to her skills if not surpassed her. Plus when many of these kids are pushed onto senior teams when too young, they are exposed to things that there is no need to be exposed to at age 10 or 12 but that 17 and 18 years olds are talking about and probably engaging in. My 12 year old is on a Jr 3 (our highest level junior team). Did she have the skills to be a crossover on the sr 4 as well? Imho, absolutely. Are we waiting at least another year for that? Yep.

ETA: should have been less gender specific :)

Back