College Cheering In The Sec?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My recommendation would be to check out schools with all girl or small coed squads. I'm 5'5" and about 110-113 and I flew at a Big East school on a small coed team. Could you fly at a SEC school? Maybe, but there is some truth to the fact that the large coed flyers are typically really small. Your chances probably increase greatly if you're considering schools with small coed or all girl teams.

When did Kentucky leave the SEC? Oh snap. Looks like Carolina stand a chance at winning the tournament this week! Assuming they don't choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I just came from the SEC WBB tournament and twice I ended up around some cheerleaders from coed teams (UK being one of them...and yeah I know it's not the blue squad) and I was actually shocked at how "average" short height they were. There were girls taller than me and I'm 5'2

TBH even Carolina's Coed team, there's only a handful of girls I see and think "wow they're short "

But anyway. . Moral to the story, OP...don't pick a school based on cheerleading. But if attending an SEC school is the goal anyway, attend one with an all girl or small coed team "to be on the safe side"

They scared me a little but back to back to back! They are such a great team on and off the court!

They scared me a little but back to back to back! They are such a great team on and off the court!

When they played Kentucky (before Kentucky left the SEC apparently ) Saturday I had to force myself to sit there and not leave arena. My leg was shaking so badly that the people around me were like "calm tf down Erin"

But yesterday I didn't get scared lol...when they were down by 5 I was like line "well if they don't win it's not the end of the world"

Miss State is a beast tho...I don't think they would beat them a 3rd time, and the fact that Gamecock Nation showed up in Greenville propelled that win....and the fact that State fans can cheer without their cowbells

When did Kentucky leave the SEC? Oh snap. Looks like Carolina stand a chance at winning the tournament this week! Assuming they don't choke

I thought the quote was in reference to a different school. Went back and double checked after I had typed, fixed the school name, forgot to delete the parenthetical. Saw it as soon as it posted but the app made me wait 60 seconds to fix it. It happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My recommendation would be to check out schools with all girl or small coed squads. I'm 5'5" and about 110-113 and I flew at a Big East school on a small coed team. Could you fly at a SEC school? Maybe, but there is some truth to the fact that the large coed flyers are typically really small. Your chances probably increase greatly if you're considering schools with small coed or all girl teams.

Good advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the quote was in reference to a different school. Went back and double checked after I had typed, fixed the school name, forgot to delete the parenthetical. Saw it as soon as it posted but the app made me wait 60 seconds to fix it. It happens.

Calm down. It's a joke. You must not be an SEC fan [emoji19]

You're on the tall side but def smaller. I'm not familiar with SEC cheer but it seems like some posters are and think you'll be fine. I've been around Tennessee cheer teams at a tournament and those girls are average short. Not itty bitties at all.

All I can offer is basic college cheer info. Make sure you have the grades for the schools you're interested in. Like others said, cheer is the cherry on top of a perfect school. It seems like you really have a solid opinion of LSU and Tennessee, hopefully because they thrilled you academically. You're a junior so you have time, but not much. Really knock it out the park in the classroom so you don't have to settle.

And yay! You have level 5 skills and some coed stunting. Do reach out to coaches with a video of skills just to give them a taste of what you can do. Showing > telling. They'll tell you what to work on for next year. Again, repeating what's been said but I can not stress how much coaches love hearing from potential athletes prior to their senior year. At some schools the interest will get you on the team or help get you into the school depending on your coaches pull. College cheer isn't like all-star, girls are always coming and going so coaches like to know what's coming up the pipeline.

Last edited:
Only one poster ever claimed to have data to support their claims. Did we ever see any? I'm curious.

You can hand type what you have if you want, I'd love to see it.

Only one poster ever claimed to have data to support their claims. Did we ever see any? I'm curious.

You can hand type what you have if you want, I'd love to see it.

3 rosters
I no longer have access to the rosters I used but the ones shared come close to my numbers

3 rosters
I no longer have access to the rosters I used but the ones shared come close to my numbers

Oh. OK thanks.

@Kbt1289 You have plenty of time to search for your preferred school and there is lots of positive advice in this thread. The only one who can guarantee you don't get a spot on your favorite school's team is you.

Good luck on searching and trying out.

My daughter is a freshman at Navarro: she has learned over the last 4 years to on Coed and Aces to not only be a flyer but can back spot and main base as well as being a tumbler. She worked hard on her coed flying skills and has flown the whole season. She's 5' and between 115 and 118 lbs (all muscle). When she started looking for a school she focused on if the school offered Pre-Vet cheer came second. OP good luck finding the right school for you, don't give up.

Last edited:
Back