All-Star Cheersport Nationals 2013

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
Cheersport week is finally upon us. I'd figure I'd make a thread for everything. What are you doing to prepare? What are you most looking forward to? What are you expecting? Predictions? And what are your goals? Plus, any tips for us cheersport newbies are greatly appreciated ;)

I feel like it is very important to say this as a parent of three CPs on a special needs team. For those who are new to Cheersport and to anyone reading this, you will see some amazing athletes on special needs teams who have overcome a lot of challenges just to be there. You will see athletes that look different than you. You will see athletes in wheelchairs. You will see athletes with tubes and oxygen and trachs (a tube in the throat to help you breathe). As a mom to a CP that will be there in a medical stroller and with oxygen on, I feel like I have the authority to tell you this. It is ok to look. It is not ok to stare. If you do look or see my CP or any athlete like him, please smile at him and wave. He loves to say hi to people. The athletes themselves may not care or notice, but the parents with them can get sensitive about staring or looks of shock or horror. It is ok to give the athlete a high five and be encouraging. It is ok to tell the athlete they did an amazing job. If you are a newbie to Cheersport, I highly encourage you to check out the special needs teams. Last I heard, there are about 25 teams this year in two divisions! There are stories behind all of these athletes of triumph and overcoming odds that define what it means to be a champion (they are all champions to be honest). Ok. I am off my soap box. ;)

My CP has a friend from her dance classes who is on a special needs team. We LOVE watching them perform. Their enthusiasm and spirit is amazing. CP has grown up at the dance studio with this girl and 2 others who are special needs. I am so glad she has had the opportunity to get to know these amazing girls. I think it has taught her a lot about patience, understanding, and being accepting of people, no matter what their differences my be. I would definitely encourage everyone to support these amazing kids! I know we will!

My daughter volunteered one year to help with ACE Bows and Arrows, Birmingham ACE special needs. She enjoyed the kids so much. Hopefully she will have time to do it again before she graduates.

Super excited about Cheersport!

My cp was a peer coach for the special needs team at our former gym. I truly believe it to be one of the best experiences cheer has brought her. She adored those kids, and leaving them was the one thing she was sad about when we moved on.

Looking forward to seeing all the teams at Cheersport!

At the GWCC, there will be our competition, a hair convention, and a Monster truck show at the dome. New to Cheersport and/or Atlanta? Traffic is hateful. Marta is extremely busy. Allow extra time on whatever amount of extra time you have already planned. Bring comfy shoes, because you will be doing a lot of walking. Bring your patience, because it will be extremely crowded. Bring your sportsmanship, because every single team has worked hard out there. Be prepared to have fun, because I have never seen so many kids so excited to show you what they can do out on that stage.

Not cheer related, but to anyone attending cheersport:

I HIGHLY recommend making a trip if at all possible to watch Dance Athletics two teams there; Sassykatz and Swaggkatz. Sassykatz need to invent a new word for how fierce they are, literally. I've been obsessing since November and the fact I can't find a video online still is driving me nuts. They will definitely be worth watching this weekend

Back