OT Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I like to watch the show but I don't watch it on a regular basis. I love the DCC they're all so pretty, fit and very talented dancers. I caught only snippeds of the "all star cheerleader" contest. What is it? And is this new?

I find the whole concept fascinating, but what captured my attention was how much they had to go through for not a lot of pay out. Yes, the traveling is awesome---but let's be real, they don't make near enough money to justify the hell they are put through.

The weight comments annoy me enough that I won't let CP near that show. It'd be a long while before I ever allowed her to watch it. As an adult, they don't bother me---and age isn't exactly being very nice to Kelly, so there is some karma for ya.

I agree with this! and the ones they feature always either have good jobs or legitimate, serious degrees. I think the last 3 seasons there was an engineer each time, teachers, the girl with the patent for disc herniations, etc. The local girls could possibly make it work juggling a real career and DCC with a lenient boss and a lot of time off, but the people traveling distances are leaving their jobs. Like the special needs teacher I think last season? - girl, I hope you were tenured before you left because you didn't even make the team. How do they pay their bills while they're DCCs?

I only watch the show sporadically so I can't add much to the discussion, but it is fascinating.

Exactly. It reminds me of the comment Melissa Rycroft made earlier in the season, "I don't know why any girl wouldn't be in the best shape THEY can be in". It's not about being a certain height and weight, it's about being in the physical shape they need. Not only for the uniform, but so that the girls can dance all four quarters of a football game.
But it isn't just about that. It's about fitting their look. A girl can be in the best shape possible for her and still get cut because he legs aren't long enough, or her hips are too wide, or her boobs aren't big enough. These are things no amount of getting in shape will change. They inherent in the girls body type. No amount of training is going to change bone structure.

I just can't with this show. I know that they signed up for this and knew what they were getting into, but the comments still bother me and I don't want my middle schooler hearing them. I don't think they are appropriate for most young girls, even into high school because they are NOT going to have the emotional maturity to fully separate what is being said on TV to a professional dancer from their own body image. On the surface they might SAY they see the separation, but I think deep down they tend to apply these things to themselves anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it isn't just about that. It's about fitting their look. A girl can be in the best shape possible for her and still get cut because he legs aren't long enough, or her hips are too wide, or her boobs aren't big enough. These are things no amount of getting in shape will change. They inherent in the girls body type. No amount of training is going to change bone structure.

I just can't with this show. I know that they signed up for this and knew what they were getting into, but the comments still bother me and I don't want my middle schooler hearing them. I don't think they are appropriate for most young girls, even into high school because they are NOT going to have the emotional maturity to fully separate what is being said on TV to a professional dancer from their own body image. On the surface they might SAY they see the separation, but I think deep down they tend to apply these things to themselves anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So true.

It is true about the height thing... I was reading once an open audition for the Rockettes and this announcement specified the height, approximate weight and even leg length measurement (measuring from foot to hip)... Rockettes from what I read must be uniform from height and kicks.
It is a mistake to think that everyone knows the DCC "look" and I think it is best for an organization to specify and make it clear, instead of making assumptions we all know, especially, if they know upfront...js

Wait, what episode are ya'll on? I've only watched up to the fifth?!

Anyways I love this. Yes the weight thing bothers me but otherwise you really get to see how athletic they are and need to be. PLUS those sportbras!! Want!!

What irritates me, however, is the fact that you can CLEARLY see that these women have trained at dance studios (even the ones that are ex-cheerleaders have had to get some dance training to prepare for tryouts); during choreography, Kelli and the others instruct the girls using commands like "put your feet in second" and "plié" (CLEARLY dance terms, NOT cheer terms); when the girls are showing off their solos, nothing about them screams cheer--we see jazz, lyrical, hip hop, tap, all types of dance styles.

And yet.

AND YET.

The rest of the world sees NFL dance as being synonymous with actual cheerleading.

How thick can people be? I know I sound like a broken record, but this never ceases to bother me.

A lot of the time I think All Star Cheerleading is the one that should change its name - let the teams and squads that actually cheer for football and basketball teams keep the "cheerleader" name and we call ourselves something else - like All Star Stunt Tumble and Jump or something like that.

Wait, what episode are ya'll on? I've only watched up to the fifth?!

Anyways I love this. Yes the weight thing bothers me but otherwise you really get to see how athletic they are and need to be. PLUS those sportbras!! Want!!
Did Rebel make the practice wear? I was thinking it was but not sure.

Back