All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have had our athletes pull themselves from future engagements with that particular group. It was our opinion that having them cancel their appearance in Pittsburgh on a few days' notice would not have been fair to the organizers of the event.

Cancel Cheerlebrity appearances for the rest of this season or future things? My kids will be heartbroken.

I read this thread and all I can think is the horse is already out of the barn. Adaption needs to be done, but it's not going away. I cannot begin to understand what all the kids get out of following the "cheerlebrities", but it appears some kids really get something from the contact with someone they admire. As CoachTamara said, there will be heartbroken kids at future Cheerlebrity events. I am not saying that this promise or pledge is right or wrong, just a comment.

I'm confused by Inside Cheerleading. They had a tweet the other night basically saying how kids now are crazed over cheerlebrities (they deleted it, so I can't quote it or anything). But they're the ones using these kids on magazine covers and really putting them out there so they're household names in the cheer world. Then today I see on Twitter, "Sign up for a 3-year subscription, and we'll send you an autographed Matt Smith issue of IC!!!". It's nothing against CA or Matt Smith, but Inside Cheer better figure it out, because their hypocricy is pissing me off.

Dear one girl in there listed as 'best friend' of Kiara,

Get ready for some love- of the crazy stalker ex-girlfriend variety.

Love and Affection,
The Crazies

While the intention was wonderful and well-spirited, I do feel for the stalking opportunities just presented. As the message came at the END of the issue, it's easy to see how some people will see 'NAMES OF PEOPLE' and skip the part about 'Oh by the way, these are people too, so please don't attack them!'

At least we're heading in the right direction!

It seems simple to me. It's all about good parenting.

Make sure your child's social media is private or limited to people that they actually know.

Make sure your child knows it's inappropriate to chase and badger another athlete during inappropriate times.

Easy enough, no?

Not to say that current cheerlebrities/ parents are to be blamed for the situation, but now that we know it's getting out of control it seems pretty simple to deal with.

It seems simple to me. It's all about good parenting.

Make sure your child's social media is private or limited to people that they actually know.

Make sure your child knows it's inappropriate to chase and badger another athlete during inappropriate times.

Easy enough, no?

Not to say that current cheerlebrities/ parents are to be blamed for the situation, but now that we know it's getting out of control it seems pretty simple to deal with.

I'd kind of say the inverse--the cheerleaders that don't understand boundaries/their parents are faulted. If my mom checked my social media sites at any age and saw that I was posting some of the things people post to those kids, I'd have my account deleted. I'd probably be pulled from the sport if I thought approaching the kids the way we've heard/seen was acceptable. And my parents would drop dead before encouraging me to go talk to or get a picture with (acting like the parents who are shoving their kids).

My childhood idol was Carly Patterson (I use "childhood" loosely...I was 13). My mom never discouraged the slight-obsession I had with her and her gymnastics, but she also knew that I wasn't harassing her. She would have stomped it out really quickly otherwise.

How have things been handled at competitions this weekend? I know it's not a lot of MAJOR nationals (although they're pretty big competitions)..have people been keeping it down?

Back