All-Star Hairgate 2015 - Mom Upset Daughter Is Off The Team Because She Wont Straighten Hair For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hold up. Surely WE didn't truly suggest the mom relax the kids hair (side note the kid could get a relaxer....you can pop a relaxer in anyone's hair....in theory..... but you shouldn't )

But surely the mom made that up. I refuse to believe. I won't believe. Nobody did that. No. Just no. Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold up. Surely WE didn't truly suggest the mom relax the kids hair (side note the kid could get a relaxer....you can pop a relaxer in anyone's hair....in theory..... but you shouldn't )

But surely the mom made that up. I refuse to believe. I won't believe. Nobody did that. No. Just no. Nope.

That's what I thought too. Because that's the equivalent of telling me to go get a perm, right? I don't know much about relaxer's but I understand correctly, they're supposed to be permanent and done with chemicals.

I would honestly love to know how this same story would play out if it weren't a child in cheer but an adult dancer at the NYC Ballet who claimed she couldn't straighten her hair while performing in the Nutcracker and was let go. I seriously doubt people would be taking the dancers side. Since it's her costume and she's required to wear it for her performance. And she knew, going in, what was expected of her. Would people still be screaming about acceptance and self image?

The fact that cheer is so wildly misunderstood by the general public doesn't help.

Poor WE tho #istandwithWE
This is exactly the crap I rant about. People are so quick to antagonize cheer, and have all types of double standards.

And @DaniV perms last 6-8 weeks.

We had girls at our gym with hair just like that, even curlier. Did it take a long time and a lot of work to straighten it? Yes. It takes equally the amount of time to curl my daughter's dead straight hair into little tiny, tight ringlets. It comes with the territory of cheer. We always let my daughter's hair grow through the winter, kill it during comp time and then a big haircut after the last competition. It's what just what you have to do.
Exactly!!!

That's what I thought too. Because that's the equivalent of telling me to go get a perm, right? I don't know much about relaxer's but I understand correctly, they're supposed to be permanent and done with chemicals.

Relaxers are permanent. They chemically damage and break down your hair to make it straight. If you have a relaxer your hair is essentially damaged even if you believe it to be "healthy". The only way to get rid of a relaxer is to "grow it out" and cut off the relaxed ends....which makes your hair prone to breakage in the process. You have to get a touch up every 6-8 weeks, or your hair will begin to break off where the relaxed hair and non relaxed (natural) hair meet

Which is why I refuse to believe someone told her to relax her child's hair as a temporary fix to get through the season.......

Relaxers are permanent. They chemically damage and break down your hair to make it straight. If you have a relaxer your hair is essentially damaged even if you believe it to be "healthy". The only way to get rid of a relaxer is to "grow it out" and cut off the relaxed ends....which makes your hair prone to breakage in the process. You have to get a touch up every 6-8 weeks, or your hair will begin to break off where the relaxed hair and non relaxed (natural) hair meet

Which is why I refuse to believe someone told her to relax her child's hair as a temporary fix to get through the season.......
Just waiting for this psycho mom to be sued and then be forced to recant her statements...

Unless (and I don't believe it for a minute btw) someone suggested a keratin treatment, which basically coats and smoothes the hair cuticle and its then sealed in by heat. Wont completely take the curl out but will make straightening it easier. And eventually washes out in about 3 months; the hair just starts getting curlier again.

Unrelated, but I love that we are now referring to children as unicorns...... Carry on

I like unicorn better than snowflake---snowflake pisses me off a little bit.

The fact that cheer is so wildly misunderstood by the general public doesn't help.

Poor WE tho #istandwithWE

I think this is the standing issue and why it's gaining so much ground...most people truly don't get it.

the exact same thing happens to my hair if I perm it, dry, damaged, and breaking. Perms are really the only way to make stick straight fine hair with any length to it curl without hours of work. I can straighten hair like the girl in the article's faster than I can curl long, fine hair. When my hair was waist length getting curls was an hours long, painful ordeal.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that long term of a treatment. I highly doubt thats what WE meant because that's not a "compromise". I wonder if they suggested smoothing products and she took it to mean relaxer. Or just lied to make herself look better to the news anchor.

The only thing that restore my faith, is that every news article in Tennessee that I have seen, 95% of the commenters are calling the mom entitled wanting her 15 minutes of fame. I think more people get it than we think. Most seem to understand that their are rules and if you don't follow them than you're out.

Back