All-Star High School Cheer A Sport In The State Of Kentucky?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was wondering the same thing. How many states can you do both? Like in North Carolina obviously they can do both, though I really dont understand how that works.

And IHSA makes up the most ridiculous rules like, how we cant legally start practicing with our guys until after football season. So we're considered all-girl until oct.-nov. And my personal favorite, we're not allowed to do choreo for competition until november. There's ways to get around it obviously but why even make such silly rules?

Sometimes I wish it wasnt a sport in IL. Only because we're controlled so much.
In Virginia cheer is considered a sport and you can do both high school and all star. A lot of high school cheerleaders do all star as well.

I have to agree. The IHSA is really strict/controlling on their rules. I went to state this year to watch and the mom's were on the lookout for pouty faces on the girls who had lost because apparently, their year round sportsmanship can reflect poorly to the IHSA or something crazy like that.

Illinois used to have the ICCA (Illinois Cheerleading Coaches Association)- I believe they're still around, and I think you can still participate in both state championships but it gets blurry. I just imagine the high school associations seeing dollar signs going down the drain if NCA/UCA tried to "take over". I would imagine some type of compromise, financially, would need to take place in order for this to happen.
Yep ICCA is still around! We compete at both ICCA and IHSA. Our JV compete's ICCA's state competition. And our varsity does both.

Our high school decided to make cheerleading a sport, not the IHSAA ( we are from Indiana). It's not sanctioned in the state at all. They tell us we cannot do both all star and school cheer. I want someone to tell me they can't do this? :mad:
Is it the school or the IHSAA that says you can't do allstar and school cheer? I also live in Indiana and I've never heard of this rule before.

Cheerleading is considered a sport in Michigan but our regulations also prohibit cheerleaders on competitive cheer teams to also cheer on "all-star" teams. That is one of the reasons that my CPs gym does not include the word "all-star" in anything.
They can get out of that just by not using "all star" in the name?

I wish Illinois High Schools were finished sooner... There high school state doesnt end until mid-febuary, you cant do both HS and Allstar, and there is SOOOOO much talent. Check out some of the states heavy hitters (These are actually just the Chicago area High Schools, not so much the 'state') I know there is also Conant, Elk Grove, Carl Sanburg, etc.

I feel like Pennsylvania is the only state that does not recognize high school cheerleading what so ever. Basically, we can go to any competition we want to and follow AACCA rules. Does anyone know why this is?

Because PA is awesome! Glad there aren't any crazy restrictions and rule etc.

Now how do they say you can't do both? if they find out you are doing both they your team is disqualified?

Our high school decided to make cheerleading a sport, not the IHSAA ( we are from Indiana). It's not sanctioned in the state at all. They tell us we cannot do both all star and school cheer. I want someone to tell me they can't do this? :mad:
There are a few schools in Indiana that have this rule. Does your school team compete? The potential conflict is the only reason I've heard for the rule.

Cheerleading is considered a sport in Illinois and it has been for 7 years now but back in 2007 and 2008 Carl Sandburg went to NCA Nationals and won, one of the 2 years. So im really not completely sure if it allowed or they somehow got around it.
Is that a private or public school? If its a private school, often times they fall under a different set of rules, just curious.

Now how do they say you can't do both? if they find out you are doing both they your team is disqualified?
Legally they can't, there was an issue with this in Alabama many years ago. BUT what can happen is coaches can blackball you, so often times the athletes are forced to choose, sad that they can't figure out a way to work together.

They can get out of that just by not using "all star" in the name?

Yes our regulations state any team that puports to be an "all-star" team regardless of method of selection, but there is not prohibition on being on additional competitive cheer teams. Thus our teams and our gym titles do "puport" to be "all-star" teams.

Legally they can't, there was an issue with this in Alabama many years ago. BUT what can happen is coaches can blackball you, so often times the athletes are forced to choose, sad that they can't figure out a way to work together.

Why wouldn't they be able to do it legal? If it is against their regulations and the consequence is forfeiture and you are found to have violated the regulations you would suffer the consequences. I know our rec football teams' regulations state that the athletes are not allowed to play football for high school or middle school and the rec league and that there have been times when athletes have been found to be playing school ball. Their teams forfieted all of their victories. (Interestingly, this regulation also applied to the rec cheer, but it was NEVER enforced...)

Why wouldn't they be able to do it legal? If it is against their regulations and the consequence is forfeiture and you are found to have violated the regulations you would suffer the consequences. I know our rec football teams' regulations state that the athletes are not allowed to play football for high school or middle school and the rec league and that there have been times when athletes have been found to be playing school ball. Their teams forfieted all of their victories. (Interestingly, this regulation also applied to the rec cheer, but it was NEVER enforced...)
Its the same as a high school football coach saying its illegal to play in a church basketball league, legally they can't tell you what you can do outside of a "school" related function. Now as for "rec" that isn't a public school activity so they are allowed to require different rules. Like an all-star coach can "require" different things than a "high school" coach can, does that make sense? I agree its done all the time on every level, all I'm saying is that "legally" a high school can't tell you what activities you can or can't be involved with outside of school, they can HIGHLY encourage or discourage, does that clarify? They can say it all day long, but it won't hold up in court.

Back