All-Star I'm Going To Cheat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here are my thoughts. All competitors in an USASF event must pay a one time fee to have a notarized palm vein scan conducted. At a competition, the athlete simply has his/her hand scanned and it will automatically confirm the age of the athlete and note the times they have competed that day. This is technology that is very inexpensive to an EP and will eliminate any duplication of birth certificates, and no need for coaches/athletes to carry IDs. Will some 10 year olds cheat and say they're 12? Probably yes...but when little Suzy turns out to be the most amazing tumbler and flyer at 16, well guess what sweetie....you've aged out.....

Edited to add that when you get one there is an 8 to 10 day time period where they mail them to you. You don't get them the same day. Which didn't help us really for the thing this weekend. LOL

Haha, yes, the "efficient" NC driver's license agency... not suprised :rolleyes: Sorry you guys didn't get your ID in time. That's must have been a bummer.

Lol, is the last part true? Like I don't need details but I'm curious. It made me chuckle.

I don't think Justin said that, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. Justin puts pictures of moms with children, claiming they are single moms that have to work a second job so their child can cheer and be happy, up during the judges meeting to continuously remind us who we are doing this for.

Here is what the USASF should require. It is NOT a passport. It is a passport ID card, it is a $40.00 fee that is good for 5 years for children 16 and under. For 16 and older it is $55.00 and good for 10 years. It is not difficult to obtain you just go to your local post office with appropriate documents and you can have it in a couple of weeks.

U.S. Passport Card

Feel free to pass this on to the proper people and you can thank me later....:)

I don't think Justin said that, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. Justin puts pictures of moms with children, claiming they are single moms that have to work a second job so their child can cheer and be happy, up during the judges meeting to continuously remind us who we are doing this for.
Hmmmm.....my ACEDAD republicanism is threatening to emerge but I'll leave it at this, we have those moms and we also have kids that work jobs to pay their own way through cheer (one just showed up last night to the last summer practice before choreography because she worked all summer to save money to oay for the season) they don't want sympathy....they want to be just like everyone else and I think all of us wants to be judged with an unbiased eye.

Because who wants to win because someone felt sorry for your personal circumstances when we live in a nation that (at least in theory) celebrates perserverance and rising above the circumstances you're given.

Thought this might be relevant to the conversation back on page 7ish. My little one is doing something this weekend that she needs an ID. She is 13 and we homeschool so she doesn't have one. I called the NC-DMV to see if there were any age restrictions on getting an official NC ID card and they said no they will do them for any age person with the correct 3 forms of ID. (BC, SS card and a medical bill with her name on it and our address) Just remembered that it was talked about earlier for MA and there's so many NC people on the board and it might be helpful to them. I am seriously considering getting her an ID card that she can carry in her cheer bag at all times.
We did this when my Cp was very young, because we thought she needed picture ID to fly after 9-11. I can't remember how old she was but loved her drivers license! LOL

Just to add to what's already been said to this - passports are very hard to get for some people. My older daughter can't get one because her father refuses to sign the papers (he's convinced I'm trying to steal her and run away to another country :rolleyes:because he is an idiot). So for 17 years she's not been able to leave the country. She can't even go to Canada to visit her aunt or see Niagara Falls and we had to cancel a cruise because he wouldn't sign. And we live in a state that doesn't do IDs for people under 16. So my kids would just have had to quit cheer I guess?

Here is what the USASF should require. It is NOT a passport. It is a passport ID card, it is a $40.00 fee that is good for 5 years for children 16 and under. For 16 and older it is $55.00 and good for 10 years. It is not difficult to obtain you just go to your local post office with appropriate documents and you can have it in a couple of weeks.

U.S. Passport Card

Still not perfect, see @Just-a-Mom's post above.

U.S. Passport Card

Do you know if you can get a passport card if you already have a passport? I thought the passport card was a cheaper alternative to a passport if you were only going to Canada/Mexico by car. Or something like that.

U.S. Passport Card

You still run into the same problem Just-A-Mom posted about a few pages ago. You need both parents written permission. And some parents are paranoid and think that their ex is going to take their kid to Canada or something.

I still firmly believe that putting every team's group photo (with each athlete's face being clearly visible) on a public web site for every competition eliminates most of the problem. It is has nearly zero cost, simple to implement, and would be highly effective. It would be a huge deterrent and make the enforcement/punishment process MUCH easier - like security cameras at a retail store.

I do get blank stares when I try to argue this at committee and Board meetings, though - so perhaps I am wrong. It just seems like it would be SO much easier to catch cheaters if we did this. You would effectively be crowd-sourcing your investigation process.

Imagine the decision process of whether to use an overage athlete at Worlds if you knew that a picture of each athlete would be available for everyone to see afterwards.

Solution:

Parents register with the USASF. The gym is not allowed to do it. Every year the parent must upload a picture of their child on a solid white background. They only have to upload a copy of their birth certificate once. They are responsible for the validation of the birth date. If they are found to have lied that child and parent are banned from cheerleading for life.

At a competition every athlete has an RFID tag that is sent to them by the USASF. If you lose your tag its $50 at a competition to get a new one. As you walk into warmups, onto the stage, and off the stage you walk over a detector. (this is already done at pretty much every running race nowadays and is rather old tech). Wanna really get fancy make it so while athletes are entering warmups they must file one by one in front of a camera that looks up their ID from the RFID chip, looks up their picture, compares the kid in front of them to the pic. If they 'match' nothing happens. If they dont the system tells the high schooler running warmups there was an invalid match. All the teenager has to do is look at the athlete and the picture they uploaded. If it matches hit the match button. If not, they hit a 'silent alarm' button that calls over the USASF head person to look at the athlete.

Back