All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I see this as only as positive thing for the sport. Cheerleading is considered one of the most (if not THE most) dangerous sport. The entire sport could only benefit from having properly trained coaches overseeing our kids, that includes coaches with schools. Too many times schools are willing to get "volunteers" from the faculty to oversee the cheerleading squads. This can only be a positive thing for our kids and the sport.
I could not agree with you more!

The best part about those articles is the money is going to the GYMS - not the EPs, not USASF, not the airlines and hotels. My kids started in gymnastics - they just took classes and never competed. 100% of what I paid (or very close to) went directly to the gym owner. I would love to see this happen in cheer!

Lol, I get it. I tend to feel like those of us in AS often feel as though we've entered the "Hotel California" but, in reality, there are other avenues. There are tumble and stunt classes for those that don't want to compete, and HS, Rec and Prep for low comp fees and low to no travel costs. I'm excited for gym owners, and honestly, any other business that benefits.

I see this as only as positive thing for the sport. Cheerleading is considered one of the most (if not THE most) dangerous sport. The entire sport could only benefit from having properly trained coaches overseeing our kids, that includes coaches with schools. Too many times schools are willing to get "volunteers" from the faculty to oversee the cheerleading squads. This can only be a positive thing for our kids and the sport.

I guess I'm failing to see what one has to do with the other. Sport Accord voted in the ICU as a sport organization in 2013. I don't think anyone would disagree certified coaches in all of our schools that have competitive cheer would be outstanding. With that said, we have to acknowledge the majority of US schools wouldn't even have access to certified cheer coaches. I think most people are assuming HS cheer would automatically become safer, when the reality is it would have to be eliminated at most schools, much like gymnastics, because lack of coaches and cost.

High School Gymnastics Programs Dwindling - Athletic Business

IMO, there is a real and legitimate fear if states recognize cheer as a sport the sheer cost of training and insurance regulations could force many schools to ground and go back to spirit squads only. From a Varsity view point, that would be a huge loss in camp and comp revenue. On the flip side of the Olympics, that's over the top HUGE free publicity and generates interest and more business.
Olympic gymnastics spur increase in gym enrollment - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.
Colorado gymnastics schools see increasing enrollment during Rio Olympics | FOX31 Denver

I agree and do not think cheer is/should be a sport. The irony of that man testifying that cheer isn't a sport (which benefits him) but then behind the scenes is fighting for the IOC to recognize cheer as a sport just baffles me. He's only in support of things that will line his pockets. He's a phenomenal businessman, I'll give him that.

Varsity stands to benefit hugely from this. In theory this should increase interest and participation in the sport, whether sideline, School Competition or All Star. This means more uniforms sales, camps and competitions. Internationally is where a large growth potential exists, this likely outweighs the risk to Varsity by Cheer being declared a sport.

Also don't be surprised if ICU moves away from "Dead Mats" to a spring cheer floor within the 7 years before Cheer can officially be part of the Olympics. This will allow them to better showcase the tumbling aspect of the sport.

Fyi My CP's gym had 2 members of Team USA working for them this summer doing camps and privates. They were amazing.

ICU's President is Jeff Webb. Ring any bells, y'all? Cheer is a tangled web that leads back to Varsity in every direction.

also still LOLing that this man testified that cheer isn't a sport, yet he's right at the head of this whole olympic thing. In case any one thought that testimony wasn't a personal vendetta to stop NCATA from being legitimate and competing with his brand.

Remember we're not talking about all-star cheerleading.

This. I think the biggest issue, and the only question I expect to see being raised here, was how ICU is going to be combined with the Asian championships rules/scoring and what that would change olympic cheer to look like. ICU is already well developed and, internationally, I hear people talking about ICU way more than worlds because they actually have a chance in it. It's really confusing to me how many non-issues are being talked about while actual issues aren't being discussed? Will difficulty change? Will pyramids be worth more (like they are in Asian countries)? Will jumps be added in to mens categories as well as dance, or will antiquated ideals of masculinity keep it in all girl divisions only? These are the kind of things I expected to be seeing asked :confused:

Last edited:
I see this as a positive for the professional
development of cheerleading worldwide, but it also opens the door to negativity.
Hopefully there will be more rules and regulations, especially in relation to scoring. Many other countries will learn about what all-star cheer is. I have explained it to many of my friends, including some who didn't even know cheerleading existed in Australia. It's one of the fastest growing sports down under, but there are still so many people who don't know about it yet.
Many people think that adding in so many new sports devalues the Olympic medals. I am of the belief that people shouldn't make fun of each other's sports. Be grateful that someone out there has found a sport that will keep them fit and happy, whether it be netball, gymnastics, soccer, synchronised swimming or cheer. Cheer receives so much criticism simply because people don't understand it. We need to educate, and sadly some news reporters don't know the difference between sideline and competitive. One even went as far to say cheer shouldn't be in the Olympics. Negativity is not what any sport needs. Talking about cheer in the Olympics has some people saying, "Cheer is just as dumb as sport x". Synchronised swimming looks so hard. You have to hold your breath while lifting up other people and stay positive (facials!) while being perfectly in time with your team. Figure skating? I can't even get very far skating around the edge of the rink without falling over. Rhythmic gymnastics requires so much coordination with the balls, hoops etc and you have got to have amazing dance talent and flexibility too. Just because my sport isn't your cup of tea, no need to criticise. /endrant

development of cheerleading worldwide, but it also opens the door to negativity.
Hopefully there will be more rules and regulations, especially in relation to scoring. Many other countries will learn about what all-star cheer is. I have explained it to many of my friends, including some who didn't even know cheerleading existed in Australia. It's one of the fastest growing sports down under, but there are still so many people who don't know about it yet.
Many people think that adding in so many new sports devalues the Olympic medals. I am of the belief that people shouldn't make fun of each other's sports. Be grateful that someone out there has found a sport that will keep them fit and happy, whether it be netball, gymnastics, soccer, synchronised swimming or cheer. Cheer receives so much criticism simply because people don't understand it. We need to educate, and sadly some news reporters don't know the difference between sideline and competitive. One even went as far to say cheer shouldn't be in the Olympics. Negativity is not what any sport needs. Talking about cheer in the Olympics has some people saying, "Cheer is just as dumb as sport x". Synchronised swimming looks so hard. You have to hold your breath while lifting up other people and stay positive (facials!) while being perfectly in time with your team. Figure skating? I can't even get very far skating around the edge of the rink without falling over. Rhythmic gymnastics requires so much coordination with the balls, hoops etc and you have got to have amazing dance talent and flexibility too. Just because my sport isn't your cup of tea, no need to criticise. /endrant

I love this as well, we of all people should know not to say "X sport is so easy/not athletic"

I really hope this changes while its in the olympics.

I don't think chants will be removed because that's what's unique about the sport. I also don't think tumbling will be heavily focused because it's essentially gymnastics (and I also believe this is already true in ICU). Interesting question about emphasis on pyramids like in Asia, I do think it's very possible.

I'm excited to see how this plays out and hope that it will bring some changes we all been waiting for (ex. universal scoresheet). I'm also excited for the next generation that might have an opportunity to pursue the olympics.

Remember we're not talking about all-star cheerleading.
This. I think the biggest issue, and the only question I expect to see being raised here, was how ICU is going to be combined with the Asian championships rules/scoring and what that would change olympic cheer to look like. ICU is already well developed and, internationally, I hear people talking about ICU way more than worlds because they actually have a chance in it. It's really confusing to me how many non-issues are being talked about while actual issues aren't being discussed? Will difficulty change? Will pyramids be worth more (like they are in Asian countries)? Will jumps be added in to mens categories as well as dance, or will antiquated ideals of masculinity keep it in all girl divisions only? These are the kind of things I expected to be seeing asked :confused:

While your points are valid, I can only speak for myself when I found out about the ICU's existence a couple of years ago when I stumbled upon some videos on YouTube. While the questions being asked may have you :confused: being that you hear about the ICU more than World's, that just isn't the case for the majority of us on the boards which are primarily AS and HS parents and athletes. I guess I'm just as :confused: that you would assume a primarily AS and HS board have extensive knowledge on the ICU, their score sheet and how it differs from Asia. I'd love to hear about it from those of you that have a lot of knowledge on the ICU but, since cheer currently falls under many umbrellas, I think it's interesting and important to hear from any perspective on what they're hoping for or concerned about with this announcement. One man's "non-issue", is another man's learning opportunity.

With that said, we have to acknowledge the majority of US schools wouldn't even have access to certified cheer coaches. I think most people are assuming HS cheer would automatically become safer, when the reality is it would have to be eliminated at most schools, much like gymnastics, because lack of coaches and cost.

I agree that there would be high school cheer programs that would have to close. And as a parent, if that is due lack of "qualified" coaches then I'm ok with that. Especially since I would know that an inexperienced coach isn't responsible for the safety of my child. At the beginning that very well may happen. Hopefully with the funding that this is going to bring we will get more coaches trained for allstar and high school programs. There should also be a sports medical professional with every large program to ensure that when an athlete gets injury they are immediately seen by a medical professional and no athlete returns to full activity (or any activity) until signed off on by that sports medical professional. Ideally, this sports medical professional would be well-versed in what all cheerleading involves so that their decisions would be in the best interest of the athlete. Hopefully the funding and training involved with this process will help everyone, with some good results and some programs having to close. But this is a dangerous sport and should be treated as such.

Anyone else notice the terrible examples of cheerleading different media outlets have used in their coverage of this announcement. I know twitter is a buzz about GMA's choice of sideline cheerleaders in its coverage but I have seen much worse from local news outlets all over the country, mostly pics like below. Why, why why!! Is this what they really think will be on Olympic sport????

20gblg4.png

Back